News Intel GPUs - Battlemage rumoured cancelled (again)

Page 135 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
All the problematic side ventures are from the finance/mediocre/bad CEOs. Barrett, Otellini, Kraznich. They seriously stagnated after the success of the P6.

For Optane, remember Gelsinger was taught under Andy Grove, who is famous for steering the main business away from memory into logic. They benefitted enormously over that.

Gelsinger has said in a recent interview:
"I like to joke that Intel keeps exiting the memory business. I'm gonna freakin' close the door on that".

So at least we know under him we won't see any memory-related ventures again, and that includes storage. Gelsinger also stated they'll close a few more. If it's not GPU it has to be pretty minor.

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
But at least, apart from the system chipset drivers being different for ATOM (a lot of SoC-type features built-in), at least the peripheral / add-on device drivers were binary-compatible between ATOM and Core, AFAIK.

Now, with ARM on Desktop, if you want to install a GPU, you no longer need "NVidia drivers", but "ARM-specific NVidia drivers" for that PCI device-id. It adds an additional layer of complexity to servicing those machines.

Right, the installer typically figures out the target architecture. On the other hand, there are no desktop class ARM SoCs available today. The fastest ARM SoC for Windows (if we exclude the server class machines), which is the 8CX Gen 3, is still a 9-10W TDP design for fan-less portables. The next natural step would be going up into the 20-25W TDP range.

But if MS does things right, then Windows-on-ARM should be as familiar as ever.

It is. You would not notice, that you are working on an ARM Windows machine unless you look into the task manager and see all the ARM64 processes mixed with the occasional x64 or x86 process.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Just an update. Been testing this A380 and looks like disabling CSM on the bios did wonders it is now pretty stable. I also forced PCI Gen 3 with 32 clocks instead of Auto in the bios.

That is interesting. I wonder why. CSM shouldn't really affect anything other then booting.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
According to Gamers Nexus (they talked to someone from Intel) Arc is not cancelled, it's not true.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
That is interesting. I wonder why. CSM shouldn't really affect anything other then booting.

CSM impacts how the OS interacts with hardware. Its not a boot time only feature.

Unless the user has hardware that just isn't compatible with UEFI, it should be disabled.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
CSM impacts how the OS interacts with hardware. Its not a boot time only feature.

Not really. CSM is there to ensure you can run legacy OSs (by BIOS emulation) and use legacy OROMs. If you use a UEFI capable OS, it has no purpose other then the pre-boot environment.

Unless the user has hardware that just isn't compatible with UEFI, it should be disabled.

Indeed. There is no reason to have it enabled with a UEFI OS.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Intel has been selling the Arc A380 in China and got pushback because of issues with their card. They just now worked most of the bugs out!

clemsyn

Aug 21, 2005
Finally got this thing overclocked and it is a pain. The Arc Control Software keeps on crashing and I have to end task in task manager and opening the app while rushing to overclock it. The most I can overclock is 2750 mhz (from 2450). GPUZ confirms the overclock but I don't notice any increase in frame rate in Doom Eternal. Could be rebar issue?

I have ripped a lot of Blurays with this with AV1 with amazing quality and a lot less time.

The biggest issue I have is when I turn it off overnight, sometimes it is not detected when I turn it on. My workaround for this is to change the PCI Gen to 2 and it will be detected again. Juggling it to PCI Gen 1, 2 of 3 gives me the same issue. It also happens in sleep (hibernation disabled). If it sleeps overnight, sometimes it reboots and is not detected again. Changing PCI Gen seems to get it back up and running again. Hope they fix this.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Finally got this thing overclocked and it is a pain. The Arc Control Software keeps on crashing and I have to end task in task manager and opening the app while rushing to overclock it. The most I can overclock is 2750 mhz (from 2450). GPUZ confirms the overclock but I don't notice any increase in frame rate in Doom Eternal. Could be rebar issue?

I have ripped a lot of Blurays with this with AV1 with amazing quality and a lot less time.

The biggest issue I have is when I turn it off overnight, sometimes it is not detected when I turn it on. My workaround for this is to change the PCI Gen to 2 and it will be detected again. Juggling it to PCI Gen 1, 2 of 3 gives me the same issue. It also happens in sleep (hibernation disabled). If it sleeps overnight, sometimes it reboots and is not detected again. Changing PCI Gen seems to get it back up and running again. Hope they fix this.

Hey friend, can you encode a trailer from a BD and upload it to a filehoster so we can download and test it? I mean it isn't illegal for trailers right?

Reactions: clemsyn

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Arc A770 embargo:

• Unboxing : 9/30 09:00 (EDT)
  • Review : 10/5 09:00 (EDT)

Reactions: Tlh97 and psolord

clemsyn

Aug 21, 2005
Ok, tried the new drivers. Encoding AV1 is better, GPU utilization goes up to 60-70% percent (around 50-60% from old drivers) on 1hr45min movie of av1 encoding and time decreased from 27 minutes to 23 minutes. Quality seems the same as old drivers.

Doom Eternal (with RT on) seems to stutter compared previous drivers. Arc Control software is still the same, buggy. GPU still disappears randomly from sleep or shutdown (this is what I disklike the most).