News Intel GPUs - Battlemage rumoured cancelled (again)

Page 133 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 27, 2020
To me, this is clear evidence of an internal debate happening.
Board: I think it's time to put this sad product out to pasture.

Raja: I will not let you people kill my baby!

Pat: Of course, no one's gonna kill your baby. It's your baby, after all. But maybe you should come to terms with the fact that the baby needs to sleep for a while.

Raja: If you force my baby to sleep, I WILL disown or kill my baby! No one decides the fate of my baby but me!

And now they are wondering, we should have never hired this guy. We lose him, we are left with a body without a head. We keep him, the body frickin' rots.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
With all of the delays, rumors, and general weirdness surrounding Intel's entry in to the dGPU market, who knows what's going to happen?

giphy.gif

Jul 27, 2020
Intel could have easily done this the boring way. Work on it till it's done and then tell the world. But nooooo. Raja wouldn't have it. I mean, Apple is a public company too. You don't see them telling the world what they are working on next.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Before we begin, I will note that I have reached out to several high ranking sources within Intel and they have categorically denied these recent rumors. Arc discrete is definitely not cancelled *right now* and they have even gone as far as to call the rumors 'FUD'.
  • Intel insiders have told me in no uncertain words that *no* decision has been taken yet about the future of Arc discrete desktop graphics and they remain committed to the roadmap through 2024 at the very least.
    [*]Delays aside, *as of right now* Intel remains committed to bringing Battlemage to discrete desktop graphics. Barring any black swan event, you should see Battlemage in discrete desktop format by late 2023 or early 2024 depending on how fast the R&D goes.
    [*]The big, full-fat Battlemage actually cannot actually fit on any reasonable sized mobility platform - so is purely a desktop product.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Funny.

"I wanted to put my pen to the proverbial paper and render my stance in stone: calls for divesting AXG (Accelerated Computing Systems and Graphics) after barely one attempt and a mere $3.5 Billion in spend is (apologies for the informal language) the silliest thing I have heard in a while."

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
Funny.

"I wanted to put my pen to the proverbial paper and render my stance in stone: calls for divesting AXG (Accelerated Computing Systems and Graphics) after barely one attempt and a mere $3.5 Billion in spend is (apologies for the informal language) the silliest thing I have heard in a while."
That's pocket change for Intel!

Jul 27, 2020
Funny.

Hey! They have so much money, why didn't they offer me to test A770 for them? I could easily bug them with ARC bug reports from the comfort of my office/home! :mad: I would have only charged them $200 per hour. That's like not even an electron in their vast sea of dough.

• Haha
Reactions: Tlh97 and maddie
Jul 27, 2020
By the way, could the next Xbox SKU pack an Intel GPU? Sony isn't likely to be swayed easily but Raja could influence the Xbox division with his promises of great performance for very little money.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
By the way, could the next Xbox SKU pack an Intel GPU?
Remember when they took a 10 billion dollar plus loss trying to penetrate the mobile market, then failed and laid off 12.000 employees? After blowing golden opportunities the decade before by selling XScale. And passing up a chance to power the iPhone. That's probably what trying to supplant AMD would be like this late in the game. They missed their window, and would have to play catch up. All to win a market with low margins? Unlikely.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
That's pocket change for Intel!

Also isn't that the cost over 5 years. So 700 Million/year is Not that big of a deal for Intel. Especially considering They still need to design the core architectures, and still need to design the drivers, and UI, so killing discrete GPUs probably wouldn't even save half of that. Maybe 200 Million.

200 million/year savings isn't make or break for Intel. It would be stupid to can it over that.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
By the way, could the next Xbox SKU pack an Intel GPU? Sony isn't likely to be swayed easily but Raja could influence the Xbox division with his promises of great performance for very little money.

Meh, they would have to break backwards compatibility again, and make a complicated GPU emulation layer again. Not impossible, but it would be an uphill struggle for Intel. It probably depends on how well Intel does with its future silicon manufacturing process. If they can manufacture cheaper, more power efficient chips than TSMC in huge quantities, Intel might well win it. Otherwise I don't see why they would ditch AMD just for a different chip fabbed on the same TSMC process.

Jul 27, 2020
If they can manufacture cheaper, more power efficient chips than TSMC in huge quantities, Intel might well win it.
Yup. That's the big IF. Someday, even AMD could be baking their chips in IFS fabs. Up to Intel's execution and Pat's leadership. This is their real test.

Jul 27, 2020
Remember when they took a 10 billion dollar plus loss trying to penetrate the mobile market, then failed and laid off 12.000 employees?
:eek:

I didn't really let that register in my brain before. They really have disposable money, don't they??? Who got fired among the decision makers for that fiasco?

So ARC/Battlemage better start making some money before the magical 10 billion dollar loss mark. That's the threshold for Intel to panic and wet their collective undies :D

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
:eek:

I didn't really let that register in my brain before. They really have disposable money, don't they??? Who got fired among the decision makers for that fiasco?

So ARC/Battlemage better start making some money before the magical 10 billion dollar loss mark. That's the threshold for Intel to panic and wet their collective undies :D

Oh yeah, they were losing around a billion dollars a quarter on that mess: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/intel-lost-1bn-on-mobile-in-q3-14.2404051/ This is when Intel had "contra-revenue", meaning they subsidised Atom so hard that they were literally paying for customers to use it. It wasn't that their costs were higher than their revenue, they had negative revenue. Which is, like, fiscal antimatter.

Jul 27, 2020
1663261461282.png

Intel is nuts. I can get a 3060 laptop for less, more system RAM and more VRAM!

1663261584591.png

And just now, I found Lenovo for even cheaper!

1663261742391.png

Jul 27, 2020
Never had to look up the exchange rate of Emirati Dirhams before, so, uh... thanks?
Oh, it's easy. I usually just multiply dollar with 4 (Paypal charges me 3.84 per dollar) so you can divide by 4 to convert to dollar. Gives you a rough idea. I'm always happy when $500 amounts to something less than AED 2000 for me :D

Think of it another way: if you plan a vacation to Dubai or Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi, your dollars more than triple and you will feel rich and spoilt throwing your dollars around :D