Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 744 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
lion cove can still be on 3 different nodes
ARL-P on 20A
ARL-S on N3
LNL-M which we don't know what node it uses.
I assume that both ARL and LNL use the same node, likely N3B or N3E. But even if there were slight differences (e.g. a LNC variant on 18A), that would still be substantially less effort than Intel 3, Intel 20A, and TSMC N3.

Obviously, there's nothing theoretically stopping them from doing that, but I'd have to imagine it would be stretching their team too thin.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Hm, perhaps. Shouldn't have any particular issues though. No big.little or anything.

Threadripper winning for an int workload by this kind of margin, iso core count, wouldn't be very unusual, but I thought V-Ray was basically a best case scenario for SPR. Heavily dependent on AVX throughput.
Also, remember that the W7-3455 Is a Locked CPU with low base clocks

1675715771960.png

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012

Intel Reportedly Targeting Over 50% Performance Per Watt Improvement With 14th Gen Meteor Lake CPUs
'Based on information shared by a highly credible leaker and insider, OneRaichu, is stated that the 14th Gen Intel Meteor Lake CPUs are targetting some big performance and efficiency gains. Intel's 14th-Gen Meteor Lake CPUs are going to feature a brand new core architecture for both P-Cores & E-Cores and while the hybrid implementation is intact, the CPU itself will make use of several other IPs that will be fused together via multiple chiplets.

o_O :eek: 50% increased over Raptor Lake CPUs!:)

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
@Harry_Wild

Gee, sounds great until you remember the clock regressions that are likely to happen.
I doubt there will be any notable clock regressions in mobile. If you're still referencing that hack who claims it'll lose a GHz without cobalt, don't waste your time.

The problem for MTL is reality vs targets.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I doubt there will be any notable clock regressions in mobile. If you're still referencing that hack who claims it'll lose a GHz without cobalt, don't waste your time.

The problem for MTL is reality vs targets.
I will be glad to see them if thats the case (40% or more), I might even try one !

Edit: if they add avx-512 back in, I might try it. What I would like to see it 16 P-cores and avx-512. That should compete with Zen 4. But if Zen 5 is out by then ????

Last edited:

deasd

Dec 31, 2013

Intel Reportedly Targeting Over 50% Performance Per Watt Improvement With 14th Gen Meteor Lake CPUs
'Based on information shared by a highly credible leaker and insider, OneRaichu, is stated that the 14th Gen Intel Meteor Lake CPUs are targetting some big performance and efficiency gains. Intel's 14th-Gen Meteor Lake CPUs are going to feature a brand new core architecture for both P-Cores & E-Cores and while the hybrid implementation is intact, the CPU itself will make use of several other IPs that will be fused together via multiple chiplets.

o_O :eek: 50% increased over Raptor Lake CPUs!:)

it seems someone hinted it's Cannon-Lake story repeating.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
I will be glad to see them if thats the case (40% or more), I might even try one !

Edit: if they add avx-512 back in, I might try it. What I would like to see it 16 P-cores and avx-512. That should compete with Zen 4. But if Zen 5 is out by then ????
Well we're extremely unlikely to see such efficiency gains, at least across the VF curve. Either way, hybrid is here to stay, and we have no line of sight for AVX-512 to return. Certainly it won't in MTL. Though 2024 should be a Zen 5 vs Lion Cove + Skymont fight, which should be substantially more interesting.
Broadwell and Cannon Lake were very different things. MTL seems to be much more like the former.

Reactions: controlflow

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Looks like China is getting a 13790F that has 3MB more cache than the 13700F. I wonder if Raptor Lake refresh is going to be Intel looking for creative ways to increase cache…

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
Bad news for Harry_Wild? Is he going to wait for this Black Edition CPU now? :D

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021
Looks like China is getting a 13790F that has 3MB more cache than the 13700F. I wonder if Raptor Lake refresh is going to be Intel looking for creative ways to increase cache…

I would not be surprised. Raptor Lake already increased L3 in 13900 to 36 MB, which is more than vanilla Zen 3 and Zen 4. It was 20% increase over Alder Lake, and no doubt, between 20% increase in cache and increase in clock speed, those 2 were majority of gains of Raptor vs. Alder Lake.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
It'll probably be the same SKUs we have +100MHz or so, and that's it. I really doubt we'll see actual new silicon.

Reactions: ftt

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019

Both the 13790F and the 13700F are the same silicon die as the 13900F but Intel disabled 8 e cores, in the 13970F model they enabled the additional cache found on the disabled e cores

1675778078732.png

1675778946808.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Elfear

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

I wrote the same a few months ago. Between the huge amount of cores in the 13900K and the crazy high clocks it's highly unlikely Intel will have a desktop part to compete with it in the next generation. I'm betting 14th gen will be aimed at mobile. Then once the node is developed and higher clocks achieved it'll head for the desktop.

Every now and then Intel pushes themselves into a corner by going extreme with one generation either in terms of core count or frequency and they have difficultly beating previous gen performance until the node is really worked out for higher frequencies.

Broadwell is a good example as they had the Haswell based 4790K to contend with as far as high clocks for the time.

Then Rocket Lake had to contend with Comet, 8 cores vs 10, in many MT applications Comet was quite competitive.

And now with Raptor at 24 cores and 6GHz that's a high bar to reach for a new node out of the gate. If they had held back Raptor and stayed on Alder, 8+8 at Alder clocks would be been a much lower bar, but Zen 4 foiled that possibility!

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I wrote the same a few months ago. Between the huge amount of cores in the 13900K and the crazy high clocks it's highly unlikely Intel will have a desktop part to compete with it in the next generation. I'm betting 14th gen will be aimed at mobile. Then once the node is developed and higher clocks achieved it'll head for the desktop.

Every now and then Intel pushes themselves into a corner by going extreme with one generation either in terms of core count or frequency and they have difficultly beating previous gen performance until the node is really worked out for higher frequencies.

Broadwell is a good example as they had the Haswell based 4790K to contend with as far as high clocks for the time.

Then Rocket Lake had to contend with Comet, 8 cores vs 10, in many MT applications Comet was quite competitive.

And now with Raptor at 24 cores and 6GHz that's a high bar to reach for a new node out of the gate. If they had held back Raptor and stayed on Alder, 8+8 at Alder clocks would be been a much lower bar, but Zen 4 foiled that possibility!
This may look like bad planning, but there is more to it.

When we look at AMD it gets interesting in that AMD originally warned that matching and increasing clocks on newer nodes would be increasingly harder. But then AMD managed to do just that twice now. The decisive trade off there is that in both cases AMD took the sweet time before eventually moving to a newer node, so far making them more of a latecomer respectively.

For Intel on the other hand the node switches so far have been an integral part of offering the density and efficiency improvements even with otherwise unchanged core designs (tick), with optimizations (including higher clocks) coming in the following gens (tock).

Both approaches have advantages and disadvantages. Currently AMD approach seems more sensible to me since node progress is slowing anyway and optimizing for specific nodes, while taking longer, allows it to make more out of it in an economical sense as well with the results still being perfectly competitive.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Raptor mobile efficiency isn't great, AMD is more efficient with longer battery life. If they can fix the high uncore power draw and add a second voltage rail for the E cores beside the process node advantage they can improve with MTL big time when it comes to efficiency.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Raptor mobile efficiency isn't great, AMD is more efficient with longer battery life. If they can fix the high uncore power draw and add a second voltage rail for the E cores beside the process node advantage they can improve with MTL big time when it comes to efficiency.

The big gain on Meteorlake is going to be the SoC cores.

Alder/Raptor regressed and they can fix that too of course.

Broadwell and Cannon Lake were very different things. MTL seems to be much more like the former.

They are related somewhat. Both are results of delayed and neutered processes. Broadwell sucked because 14nm had serious issues, hence the 6-12 month delay. Of course 10nm and Cannonlake far surpassed both that's why almost no one cares about the 14nm delay. Both brought to you by Kraznich.

Reactions: coercitiv

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Intel even gave the "desktop" Broadwell versions 128MB L4 probably in an effort to make them more competitive in some way with Haswell due to the frequency regression. I put desktop in quotes because those parts were as rare as hen's teeth.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Intel even gave the "desktop" Broadwell versions 128MB L4 probably in an effort to make them more competitive in some way with Haswell due to the frequency regression. I put desktop in quotes because those parts were as rare as hen's teeth.

That's likely not the reason for doing so. They just decided to scale up some mobile parts and sell it as unlocked desktop. It's clock scaling was very poor. There were good indications that the chip was a mobile base.

The PC executive within Intel said they regretted not having full desktop line for Broadwell. They consciously never planned for desktop.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

As Videocardz notes, Intel is EOLing Rocket Lake. This isn't the end of Core on 14 nm though since they are still continuing to produce other generation "Embedded" models (read: You don't get the discounts anymore).

AMDK11

Jul 15, 2019
Are there any reliable sources that say ArrowLake will actually get LionCove cores?

This would be odd considering Intel officially claims LunarLake and LionCove is a brand new project from the ground up.

It's more fitting that Redwood Cove from Meteor Lake is a new x86 core and ArrowLake is based on RedwoodCove(+?).

Something doesn't add up here.

Last edited: