Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 455 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
If AL 8+8 is 125W, i wonder how will Intel hit red target if Raptor Lake is 8+16.
Like jpiniero and mikk said, the smaller cores aren't much of a power problem. I'll just put some rough numbers to it.

The similar 10 nm Jasper Lake N6000 has a 6 W TDP with 4 cores -- that works out to 1.5 W per core. If we realize that the cores don't actually use up the whole 6 W (there is the GPU and uncore in the same 6 W power envelope), then the actual small cores use less than 1.5 W each. If trust the Alder Lake mobile leaks, the small cores could be under 1 W each (necessary to meet the 5 W design with 1 bigger and 4 smaller cores https://www.techpowerup.com/news-tags/Gracemont#g279478-2) But, I'll stick with 1.5 W for this post since it is an arbitrarily adjustable number to some extent just by adjusting the base clock.

So, if Alder Lake's 8 small cores were similar to the N6000, they would use less than 12 W total. That leaves more than 113 W for the 8 bigger cores. If that rumor is correct and some Raptor Lake chips have 16 small cores, then that means the small cores still would use less than 24 W. That leaves more than 101 W for the 8 bigger cores.

The 8-core i9 11900 only has a TDP of 65 W. So big cores do not NEED the full 125 W. They'll be just fine with 101 W. Sure, they'll take more power if available, especially during the initial turbo period. But, they'll have acceptable performance with just 101 W.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and SAAA

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
That's . . . weird. They could have added more Golden Cove (especially if perf/watt is improved; @isoclocks that puts them at an advantage). Instead they double up on Gracemont? What's really going on here? MLiD being goofy again?
Intel has publicly stated that they are going towards a mix/match to meet your needs long-term vision. One rumor of one combination does not imply that it is the only combination of cores that will be produced. Given that Intel is using more power than the competition for similar performance, adding more low power cores is their best strategy to combat that problem.

I think you are over-estimating the performance of Golden Cove and under-estimating the performance of Gracemont. The two cores look to be shaping up to be much more similar in performance than many people think.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
I have a question, these big cores, how exactly are they better than smaller one (except obvious thing like having HT)? Are they better because they have more logic making them more universal for various compute situations, or are they generally faster at pretty much everything?
Say a highly parallel task like Vray rendering or some video encoding - could be the smaller core as fast as the big core (without HT) in such task or no chance?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I have a question, these big cores, how exactly are they better than smaller one (except obvious thing like having HT)? Are they better because they have more logic making them more universal for various compute situations, or are they generally faster at pretty much everything?
Say a highly parallel task like Vray rendering or some video encoding - could be the smaller core as fast as the big core (without HT) in such task or no chance?
Two main differences:

1) They are optimized for different performance/power levels. Take a look at this image. If you tried to operate at a very low power (10%) then the bigger cores just can't operate. If you go up a bit to say 15% power, then the bigger cores give ~33% performance and the smaller cores give ~38% performance. That is a fairly substantial performance gain to use the smaller cores instead of the bigger cores at low power levels. Continue bumping up the power to ~27% and both cores give you the exact same performance. Keep cranking up the power to 50% and the small cores lag way behind in performance (~64% compared to ~77%). Even more power and the smaller cores just can't handle it, you need the bigger cores.

As we shift to more and more cores onto the same chip, then each core will have less and less power available (assuming that you keep the total power levels similar). So, as core counts go up, we will move further and further to the bottom left on that graph. Meaning at high core counts, there isn't as much need for the bigger cores.

2) They have different instruction sets. In non-hybrid chips the bigger cores can perform certain niche tasks with far, far better performance levels than the small cores due to specialized instructions. This is the debatable part about Alder Lake though. Can Intel and Microsoft figure out how to to actually use the instructions that are only in bigger cores in a hybrid situation?

Last edited:

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Two main differences:

1) They are optimized for different performance/power levels. Take a look at this image. If you tried to operate at a very low power (10%) then the bigger cores just can't operate. If you go up a bit to say 15% power, then the bigger cores give ~33% performance and the smaller cores give ~38% performance. That is a fairly substantial performance gain to use the smaller cores instead of the bigger cores at low power levels. Continue bumping up the power to ~27% and both cores give you the exact same performance. Keep cranking up the power to 50% and the small cores lag way behind in performance (~64% compared to ~77%). Even more power and the smaller cores just can't handle it, you need the bigger cores.

2) They have different instruction sets. In non-hybrid chips the bigger cores can perform certain niche tasks with far, far better performance levels than the small cores due to specialized instructions. This is the debatable part about Alder Lake though. Can Intel and Microsoft figure out how to to actually use the instructions that are only in bigger cores in a hybrid situation?

Thanks!

Does that different performance/power level mean that Vray rendering might in fact use only the big cores, but not the small ones?
And regarding instruction sets, if GRT is pretty much Skylake, should it not have every instruction needed for something like Vray already? I dont think Vray uses AVX512, nor does it need any of those specialized new AI-related instructions...just regular stuff old Skylake cores had.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
if GRT is pretty much Skylake, should it not have every instruction needed for something like Vray already?

Gracemont is not the same core as Skylake, but we do know it supports up to AVX2.

Last edited:

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Big core is big because it has more area dedicated to finding instruction-level parallelism, i.e. be faster. Wider superscalar, deeper out-of-order execution.

Reactions: Tlh97 and 2blzd

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Big core is big because it has more area dedicated to finding instruction-level parallelism, i.e. be faster. Wider superscalar, deeper out-of-order execution.

Is this additional area what makes these Cove architectures advanced compared to Skylake arch? Does AMD improve their Zen cores the same way between its generations? Is there any other way to make computing faster, thats not about making things wider and bigger and whatnot? I guess something like quantum computing, except not as outlandish?

SAAA

May 14, 2014
We discussed this earlier... Marketing likes the idea of having more cores and it would do better in MT benchmarks fully loaded. Adding another 2 slots is going to make the ring pretty long.
Maybe they'll double the amount of small cores per cluster instead. Or have two rings one for small and another for big cores connected to each other… that would be better for anything working on big cores only reducing latency from Alder, once more MT grunt is needed 16 extra little cores easily compensate a bit higher latency.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Is this additional area what makes these Cove architectures advanced compared to Skylake arch? Does AMD improve their Zen cores the same way between its generations? Is there any other way to make computing faster, thats not about making things wider and bigger and whatnot? I guess something like quantum computing, except not as outlandish?
Yes and yes. Better ILP is how any manufacturer makes a CPU core faster, combined with clock frequency.
Another way is parallel (multi-core) processing. Taken to the extreme, instead of a few complex cores, have many simpler cores sacrificing single-thread performance (like a GPU). Finally, meet in the middle with a heterogenous architecture: combine the single-thread perf of a complex core with the multi-thread throughput of many simple cores.

Reactions: Tlh97

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Or have two rings one for small and another for big cores connected to each other… that would be better for anything working on big cores only reducing latency from Alder, once more MT grunt is needed 16 extra little cores easily compensate a bit higher latency.
That sounds good for a professional machine, yet this is consumer desktop & mobile we're talking about. Both the double ring and the 24c/32t ideas make little sense for consumers, unless HEDT is going the way of the dodo.

Food for thought: how does one reconcile the rumored "improved cache for gaming" (as per the leaked Intel slide) with the increased reliance on small cores (as per the MLID leak claim)? To me it seems these require diametrically opposed design decisions, your idea of double ring bus shows just how much a design can change depending on workload priorities.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Intel has publicly stated that they are going towards a mix/match to meet your needs long-term vision. One rumor of one combination does not imply that it is the only combination of cores that will be produced.

1). It's the only "leak" on Raptor Lake I've seen to date
2). It's unclear how a consumer chip like Raptor Lake would truly benefit from doubling the Gracemont core count

If Golden Cove is such a bad/dead end core that Gracemont is starting to look attractive in comparison, then Intel may be in more trouble than we know.

We discussed this earlier... Marketing likes the idea of having more cores and it would do better in MT benchmarks fully loaded. Adding another 2 slots is going to make the ring pretty long.

10c did work for Comet Lake. Mostly. There were some weird issues with the 8c Comet Lake derived from 10c dice, but nothing major that really affected end-user performance (that I can recall) vs. 8c Coffee Lake.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@jpiniero

I see what you're trying to say, but Alder Lake isn't going to be a workstation or HEDT chip. Unless Intel is tacitly admitting that they won't have a workstation/HEDT chip. Otherwise, that kind of marketing just isn't going to work for them. I honestly don't think the 24c/32t approach will beat whatever happens to be their competitor's top desktop-socket multcore CPU, much less their HEDT offerings, in raw MT performance. For workloads that struggle to utilize 16c chips like the 5950X, adding more Gracemont cores will make 0 difference but will chew up die area anyway.

Intel needs to focus on the 6c-12c range for Golden Cove, assuming 10SFE or ESF or whatever it's really called permits them to do so in whatever timeframe Raptor Lake actually launches. Which I guess would be Q4 2022. They're never going to need more than 8c Gracemont.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
You also have to factor in that the Alder Lake die is already going to be gigantic. If they do go to 8 core Small Clusters that might be a cheap way in area to improve the MT performance.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
2). It's unclear how a consumer chip like Raptor Lake would truly benefit from doubling the Gracemont core count

If Golden Cove is such a bad/dead end core that Gracemont is starting to look attractive in comparison, then Intel may be in more trouble than we know.
Lets go back to the Lakefield performance graph and think about it.
Note 1: This was preliminary data to begin with
Note 2: I'm ignoring process improvements with Gracemont and Golden Cove.
Note 3: I'm assuming constant power limits.
Making a major extrapolation (with process change and core count changes) and assuming that there are no surprises, then you get the hypothetical graph below. Please take it with a grain of salt, it is for discussion purposes only.

Suppose you took the same amount of power for two chips (A and B), but used double the number of cores on chip B. Suddenly each core on chip B gets half the power as the cores on chip A. Cores on chip B operate at a different place on the performance/power curve than cores on chip A. In the case of Lakefield, going to half the power still meant that Sunny Cove was the higher performing core than Tremont. But, what if you made chip C with 4 times the cores of chip A? Suddenly dividing the power up 4 ways means that the Tremont cores now begin to perform slightly better than Sunny Cove cores. Now with chip D that has 8 times the number of cores than chip A, each core is starved for power. You are suddenly in the position that Tremont performance dominates Sunny Cove performance.

If Gracemont/Golden Cove behave similarly to Tremont/Sunny Cove, then you find out that when you go to 16 Intel cores or more, then it is better to have all smaller cores. At high power levels, yes Golden Cove should dominate. But once you divide your available power up into 16, 24, 32+ small slices, you find out that Gracemont actually is the better core when each core only gets a small power envelope.

1623358280760.png

Reactions: SAAA

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
@jpiniero

I see what you're trying to say, but Alder Lake isn't going to be a workstation or HEDT chip. Unless Intel is tacitly admitting that they won't have a workstation/HEDT chip.
Mobile < Hybrid < Desktop < HEDT < Server

Alder Lake is Intel's attempt to slip in a new category between Mobile and Desktop. I do not think that it is really intended for HEDT. I thought that the rumors claim Intel's HEDT chips come from Sapphire Rapids.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magic Carpet

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Alder Lake is Intel's attempt to slip in a new category between Mobile and Desktop. I do not think that it is really intended for HEDT.

The problem with your graph is that, undoubtedly, you're discussing MT throughput vs relative power. If Intel is trying to straddle the mobile and desktop market, the sweet spot for now and maybe the next 1-2 years is going to be 8c/16t "big" cores like Golden Cove. Maybe a generation or two down the road, if Core keeps advancing at IPC of 10-15% per generation (or less) while Atom continues advancing at 20% or more per generation, Atom will eventually make more sense that Core except in certain niche, high-power situations. For now, adding more and more Gracemont for consumer SoCs is so much pissing in the wind. Pardon me for being redundant (because I am), and I DO recognize that Intel has a perf/watt problem with Core right now that may not improve with Golden Cove. Which means that going for higher core counts with Golden Cove could be problematic, especially in their target market. But their competition is able to add up to 16c in consumer CPUs and get good perf/watt doing so. Intel needs to be able to do the same.

You also have to factor in that the Alder Lake die is already going to be gigantic. If they do go to 8 core Small Clusters that might be a cheap way in area to improve the MT performance.

Intel may not have enough die real estate to add anything else.

Last edited:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003

Adding to the already nice explanations made by others,

Simply put, if you have more execution units like load/store units, ALUs, FPUs, the CPU will in general perform better. And such a chip is naturally larger/more power hungry because each unit takes many transistors.

Then there are small details like reservation stations, reorder buffers, branch predictors which all take transistors and thus extra die space and power use.

There are smarter ways to do things, and Out of Order(OoO) execution is one of them. Enhancing branch prediction is another. But ideas are much harder to implement than just straight out expanding whatever you have.

Gracemont is a very different core from Skylake. Yet it's a far compact and more efficient core.

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
The problem with your graph is that, undoubtedly, you're discussing MT throughput vs relative power. If Intel is trying to straddle the mobile and desktop market, the sweet spot for now and maybe the next 1-2 years is going to be 8c/16t "big" cores like Golden Cove. Maybe a generation or two down the road, if Core keeps advancing at IPC of 10-15% per generation (or less) while Atom continues advancing at 20% or more per generation, Atom will eventually make more sense that Core except in certain niche, high-power situations. For now, adding more and more Gracemont for consumer SoCs is so much pissing in the wind. Pardon me for being redundant (because I am), and I DO recognize that Intel has a perf/watt problem with Core right now that may not improve with Golden Cove. Which means that going for higher core counts with Golden Cove could be problematic, especially in their target market. But their competition is able to add up to 16c in consumer CPUs and get good perf/watt doing so. Intel needs to be able to do the same.

Absolutely agree. Originally big.LITTLE was conceptionally invented for extreme low utilization situations, where small cores do have an advantage both from dynamic power and particularly from perspective of leakage - the littles cores were never supposed to be the driving factor for max MT performance. As consequence, you will see less little cores when you scale up from mobile to HEDT or server, where you wont have little cores at all. Now enter Intel, where the little cores are used to boost peak MT performance, just because they are not competitive with their big cores.

Last edited:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Food for thought: how does one reconcile the rumored "improved cache for gaming" (as per the leaked Intel slide) with the increased reliance on small cores (as per the MLID leak claim)? To me it seems these require diametrically opposed design decisions, your idea of double ring bus shows just how much a design can change depending on workload priorities.

I'll say, MLID has been ok on Intel leaks.

But few things going against that bit about Raptor Lake. First, ring is the problem in scaling to more cores. Second, it said on that Intel slide: "New Hybrid CPU core changes for improved performance".

Does "improved" really mean more cores, either Golden Cove or Gracemont? Or is it improved because the algorithm has improved, or the way the cores communicate has changed?

Reactions: Tlh97 and RanFodar

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
I'll say, MLID has been ok on Intel leaks.

But few things going against that bit about Raptor Lake. First, ring is the problem in scaling to more cores. Second, it said on that Intel slide: "New Hybrid CPU core changes for improved performance".

Does "improved" really mean more cores, either Golden Cove or Gracemont? Or is it improved because the algorithm has improved, or the way the cores communicate has changed?

If we accept that Raptor Lake is meant to be a low-effort stopgap for Meteor Lake/7nm delays, then it does make sense. 12 ring stops might not be ideal, but it's been done before with Broadwell-EP, and is certainly lower effort than splitting into two rings. Likewise, minor improvements to Golden Cove would also fit for such a project.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
If we accept that Raptor Lake is meant to be a low-effort stopgap for Meteor Lake/7nm delays, then it does make sense.

I wouldn't say low-effort much as something that fills in the weaknesses. Even if they don't officially Tick-Tock, the idea always existed even in a much subtler way.

Nehalem generation only covered certain market segments. It was really about the server.

Sandy Bridge covered all, and client gains were huge because that became their focus.

Core 2 was a client focus as well.

Icelake was a good start, but Tigerlake fleshed out the weaknesses. Even though the core is essentially the same. Alderlake might get the hybrid methodology correct most of the time, but Raptorlake might get most of the rest. Alderlake, despite what Intel claims is Yonah-Desktop. Raptorlake might see Intel actually focus on desktop.

As consequence, you will see less little cores when you scale up from mobile to HEDT or server, where you wont have little cores at all. Now enter Intel, where the little cores are used to boost peak MT performance, just because they are not competitive with their big cores.

Actually, while the explicit meaning of big.little may be what you are saying, the original idea about the heterogenous core is trying to circumvent the whole square root law when it comes to processors.

On paper, if you double the potential performance per clock by 2x, the area and the power requirement quadruples. So at some point, and for embarassingly parallel applications, having a core that's performing half the performance but 1/4 the power and area is useful. So you can combine the two approaches, so the big core accelerates responsiveness and low thread applications, and the sea of small cores accelerate parallel tasks.

Of course it's much harder to make it work. Hence I believe it's why both Apple and Intel focus on getting the so-called "little" cores to be much more performant. Because the worst-case scenario isn't so bad with a high performance smaller core.

So the idea might not be a silver bullet to an efficient, high performance CPU for all scenarios, but a useful and necessary step in getting there.

Last edited:

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
I wouldn't say low-effort much as something that fills in the weaknesses. Even if they don't officially Tick-Tock, the idea always existed even in a much subtler way.

I don't think this was planned so well. If Intel truly thought they'd have 7nm ready by the end of '21, then is stands to reason that they'd have products (MTL) scheduled by sometime in '22. My guess is that when either 7nm or MTL execution began to slip, and they needed to figure out a stopgap. Raptor Lake is like Coffee Lake or Comet Lake in that regard, but with maybe a little time for spit and polish.

On paper, if you double the potential performance per clock by 2x, the area and the power requirement quadruples.

This is a trend of sorts, but is by no means a law. Comparing Apple's cores to Intel's shows as much, but even AMD is more PPA efficient. If Core is to have a future, Intel needs to get it under control.

Reactions: Tlh97 and uzzi38

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Intel needs to adopt a chiplet based design. Having 8 “big” cores on one chiplet and 16-32 cores on another would be pretty cool.