Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 442 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
6+0 isn't usable for cheap OEM devices, no iGPU.

The 6+0 does have an IGP, or at least I would be surprised if it doesn't. Just no small cores.

Guessing they aren't confident enough in Alder Lake supply and want to ensure that the low end is covered with something. This isn't a problem with laptops since everything is BGA.

Reactions: Tlh97 and mikk

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019

Never mind, seems I'm wrong about tape-in/out

Reactions: Tlh97 and Elfear

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Icelake taped in around June 2017 and it came out in August 2019. Without the big 10nm struggle we would haven seen Icelake early 2019. Unless there are another big 7nm delays we should get MTL in H1 2023. And Intel not long ago revealed it's a H1 2023 platform , so this makes sense. Unlike Videocardz I believe MTL will be mobile only anyways, it's a new process and from 14nm Broadwell-U and 10nm Icelake-U we do know Intel prefers mobile first. First 7nm desktop is more likely Lunar Lake.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
Icelake taped in around June 2017 and it came out in August 2019. Without the big 10nm struggle we would haven seen Icelake early 2019. Unless there are another big 7nm delays we should get MTL in H1 2023. And Intel not long ago revealed it's a H1 2023 platform , so this makes sense. Unlike Videocardz I believe MTL will be mobile only anyways, it's a new process and from 14nm Broadwell-U and 10nm Icelake-U we do know Intel prefers mobile first. First 7nm desktop is more likely Lunar Lake.

Intel also said they'd have 7nm products for all market segments (aka mobile, desktop and server) so I don't hold the same expectations as you.

I just expect desktop to come in 2H23, around a year after Raptor Lake should.

Reactions: Tlh97

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
So the announcement was news for the sake of some new news? Doesn't really sound like anything to get excited about at this time.
They're just following up with their announcement from last month, they said Meteor Lake would tape in in Q2. It's not much per se, but as long as this type of announcement marks a more open Intel, it's good news in theory.

When you openly talk about your progress there's less room to cover mistakes for months and years. Let's see if they keep talking.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Intel also said they'd have 7nm products for all market segments (aka mobile, desktop and server) so I don't hold the same expectations as you.

I just expect desktop to come in 2H23, around a year after Raptor Lake should.

There is another indication. Two months ago Intel accidentally made hidden documents available to the public (headline only). There only were Meteor Lake P+M documents and nothing about Meteor Lake S. Intel also said there will be 10nm for desktop two years ago but it wasn't Icelake nor Tigerlake, it will be Alder Lake. We will get 7nm for desktop but I'm not expecting MTL.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
They need to fix the detection.

They did, Intel just is not using the latest version (probably intentional).

Btw when does Alder Lake come to mobile and in what form?

The 14 core/20 thread chip tested above is supposed to be a mobile part. It is likely a late ES chip, so the results won’t represent final performance. No firm release date yet. Given that Intel is refreshing some Tiger Lake U models and has just launched Tiger Lake H, I imagine we will probably not see laptop chips until next year. It would be odd for Intel to roll out new chips only to replace them 3-5 months later.

Reactions: mikk

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
switch to ATX 12VO as new standard for motherboards and PSUs

That's . . . gonna be interesting. I don't see how that makes sense for DiY unless PSU OEMs do it just to reduce redundancy in their product lineup (e.g. it'll cost them more $$$ to design PSUs for the new ATX standard for OEMs and the old ATX standard for DiY)

Nevertheless, I expect with current PSU supplies being scarce, that few DiY builders are going to want to have to throw out 2-3 year-old PSUs in the 500w-1kw range (or higher!) just to adopt Alder Lake-S. Some of them might want to do it anyway, but chucking a $200+ PSU that's supposed to be good for 5-10 years for a system upgrade is gonna suuuuuuuuuuck.

and now this weird Peltier element leak. (that is hopefully just an uninspired marketing tactic)

I wouldn't make too much of that.

Wonder what the point would be given the existence of the 6+0 die.

Supply. Same reason why Intel kept pushing 14nm mobile chips when Ice Lake-U came out. They may still be having problems getting big enough dice to yield properly on 10SF and 10SFE. See reports of their being maybe 1m SoCs for the 8c TigerLake-H launch.

Intel will take full advantage of TSMC's best processes, even if they have to outbid AMD, as this is a very good way to cripple AMD long term and send them back to Bulldozer era.

Once Intel starts using TSMC as their leading-edge wafer supplier, they'll do what they're told to do. And I don't mean that in a good way.

Icelake taped in around June 2017 and it came out in August 2019. Without the big 10nm struggle we would haven seen Icelake early 2019.

Heck had Cannonlake launched on time, Ice Lake-U could have been a 2018 product. Had Broadwell launched on time, it could have been out earlier than that!

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
117493.png

This is literally best case for Tiger Lake-H, 1 thread bench in a 45W product. FP difference particularly impressive.

I am leaving this one alone for now.

The issue is that something is either up with Anandtech’s testing, with the “reference platform”itself, or the 11980hk chip.

From what I have seen thus far, the 11800h appears to be beating the 11980hk in both Geekbench and Cinebench, and I’ve yet to see an 11980hk hit 5ghz on Geekbench (though there aren’t many results).

I think that the fact it has a 65W TDP up mode is causing thermal issues. AT caught some of those
issues as they noted in the article, but I am wondering if the chip itself is a hot mess. I will be testing the 11800h myself when I receive my laptop, and I hope AT will receive and test more laptops soon.

Reactions: mikk

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
That's . . . gonna be interesting. I don't see how that makes sense for DiY unless PSU OEMs do it just to reduce redundancy in their product lineup (e.g. it'll cost them more $$$ to design PSUs for the new ATX standard for OEMs and the old ATX standard for DiY)

Nevertheless, I expect with current PSU supplies being scarce, that few DiY builders are going to want to have to throw out 2-3 year-old PSUs in the 500w-1kw range (or higher!) just to adopt Alder Lake-S. Some of them might want to do it anyway, but chucking a $200+ PSU that's supposed to be good for 5-10 years for a system upgrade is gonna suuuuuuuuuuck.

12VO would make PSUs cheaper, and there would be fewer, smaller connections from the PSU to the motherboard. The issue is that motherboards become more expensive to produce.

From my limited research on the subject, 12VO isn’t a bad standard. IMO it needs to happen. That, or a similar standard.

EDIT: take a look at this article: https://overclock3d.net/reviews/power_supply/atx12vo_tested_-_the_future_of_power_supplies/1

12VO simplifies everything. Fir example, since SATA power now comes from the motherboard, in theory you only need 1 cable instead of 2. That isn’t the case for the board in the article, but I can see it happening.

Last edited:

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
There is another indication. Two months ago Intel accidentally made hidden documents available to the public (headline only). There only were Meteor Lake P+M documents and nothing about Meteor Lake S. Intel also said there will be 10nm for desktop two years ago but it wasn't Icelake nor Tigerlake, it will be Alder Lake. We will get 7nm for desktop but I'm not expecting MTL.
None of those are accidental, all of those documents are password protected. We see these listings months ahead of every launch from Intel, it's far from the first time.

Intel specifically said full product stack across the board, I see no reason for them to hold back for the desktop. Just feels like the same release cadence as TGL to me. Mobile products first, higher power products half a year later.

This ain't like you Mikk, to be surprisingly conservative on Intel's roadmaps. What, are you overly worried about 7nm clocks or something?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
12VO would make PSUs cheaper, and there would be fewer, smaller connections from the PSU to the motherboard. The issue is that motherboards become more expensive to produce.

Well my point was . . . let's say you built a 11900k system today with a 3090 (or whatever you can actually buy, lol) and you used this bad boy:

(hard to buy these right now)

If you bought one of those in the last year or two, would you be in a hurry to get rid of it for your next system? Those things are like $230 for a refurbed one. New I think they were up to $300.

From my limited research on the subject, 12VO isn’t a bad standard. IMO it needs to happen. That, or a similar standard.

Maybe? I'm okay with the way things are from a DiY perspective. Though wire routing is a PITA with the 8-pin connectors and so forth.

Rigg

May 6, 2020

EDIT: take a look at this article: https://overclock3d.net/reviews/power_supply/atx12vo_tested_-_the_future_of_power_supplies/1

12VO simplifies everything. Fir example, since SATA power now comes from the motherboard, in theory you only need 1 cable instead of 2. That isn’t the case for the board in the article, but I can see it happening.
I can see this being attractive for OEM but it sounds like a bad idea for DIY. Quality motherboards have already become more expensive in the last few generations. I'm skeptical the PSU cost savings would be passed on to consumers while increased motherboard cost almost certainly would. This could induce some serious limitations on ITX boards that are already cramped for space.

Last edited:

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
None of those are accidental, all of those documents are password protected. We see these listings months ahead of every launch from Intel, it's far from the first time.

It was accidental and that's why we can no longer see it, they have closed this loophole and we have no longer access to this.

This ain't like you Mikk, to be surprisingly conservative on Intel's roadmaps. What, are you overly worried about 7nm clocks or something?

Volume and yield is my first concern when it comes to a new Intel process. You are really optimistic to expect they can start shipping mobile and desktop the same year. If they cannot launch Meteor Lake-S within half a year of Meteor Lake-P it's questionable if it's worth the effort, although it depends on Lunar Lake. Broadwell-U launched in January 2015 after a 6 months 14nm delay and in August 2015 they already launched Skylake-S, that's only a 7-8 months gap to the next architecture.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
It was accidental and that's why we can no longer see it, they have closed this loophole and we have no longer access to this.

Nah, things like this are never accidental, just often overlooked. Little bit of a difference between the two.

Volume and yield is my first concern when it comes to a new Intel process. You are really optimistic to expect they can start shipping mobile and desktop the same year. If they cannot launch Meteor Lake-S within half a year of Meteor Lake-P it's questionable if it's worth the effort, although it depends on Lunar Lake. Broadwell-U launched in January 2015 after a 6 months 14nm delay and in August 2015 they already launched Skylake-S, that's only a 7-8 months gap to the next architecture.

You're absolutely right in that it depends on Lunar Lake and when that is. If Lunar Lake was originally slated to launch in late 2023 then it would indeed make no sense for MTL-S to exist. However that's a big if.

With tape-out costs for newer nodes absolutely shooting up with each progressive node shrink, and volume concerns still remaining an issue, I don't think it makes sense to target small iterative architectural improvements on a yearly basis but instead to focus on much larger architectural changes over 1.5-2 years.

But in any case, anything is possible as far as we know, lets wait and see what happens.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
With tape-out costs for newer nodes absolutely shooting up with each progressive node shrink, and volume concerns still remaining an issue, I don't think it makes sense to target small iterative architectural improvements on a yearly basis but instead to focus on much larger architectural changes over 1.5-2 years.
Tapeout costs shooting up? This is a data transfer. Please explain.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Hulk

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
Isn't that tape out? Tape in is sending the design to the fab, tape out is when you get the silicon back?

Tape-out and Tape-In is essentially the same - both referring to the fab getting the design data. Getting the silicon back is not associated with a "tape" at all.

ps. Sorry, I did not notice, that this was already answered at the time of my post.

Last edited: