Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 319 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
Are you saying Intel isn't losing any significant sales to Zen 3? Seems like AMD is selling every Zen 3 part they can get to market and I don't think it's farfetched to believe many of those people would have bought Comet Lake if Zen 3 was not available. Not to mention all of the people upgrading to Zen 3 from Zen/2. I don't know the exact numbers but the reality and perception of these sales over Comet Lakes can't be a good thing for Intel.

It's like Intel has a man (or two) in the penalty box until RL arrives and they are certainly putting on the pressure.

Intel hasn't lost squat to Zen 3, because it isn't there in any quantity and won't be until sometime in Q1. Leftover Zen 2 is probably doing 10x the damage to Intel that Zen 3 is. You can't sell what you don't have.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Intel hasn't lost squat to Zen 3, because it isn't there in any quantity and won't be until sometime in Q1. Leftover Zen 2 is probably doing 10x the damage to Intel that Zen 3 is. You can't sell what you don't have.

Okay then. We'll have to see where things are in 6 months but it does seem like AMD has a foothold in a place they haven't been before with Zen 3.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Somebody that needs a computer now? Honestly, either Intel or AMD is perfectly adequate for the vast majority of users.

This is so true. To take it one step further the vast majority of users wouldn't even know if they were using a current processor or one from 4 years ago.

Reactions: Tlh97 and ondma

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
And you think people will buy Intel instead of waiting for Zen3? Who would be crazy enough to do that?

I'm guessing that is hyperbole. Obviously 99.9%+ of PCs currently being sold are sold to people who are not waiting for Zen 3.

When I say none of the major OEMs carry Zen 3, that does mean something. One OEM where you can order Zen 3 prebuilt that's pretty well known here in nerd land is CyberPowerPC. CyberPowerPC is one of the largest OEMs AMD lists for Zen, their estimated revenue is between 50 and 100M/ year. iBuyPower is ~10M.

By comparison, Dell had over 92,000M ($92B) revenue in 2019. That is around 1000 times both of those OEMs combined. If half of Dell's revenue is client PCs then they would shp more PCs in one day than CyberPowerPC + iBuyPower ships in 2 years.

And you can't get a Zen 3 from either of those tiny OEMs until "estimated" after Christmas. Reality is, they are probably getting a trickle of 50 or 100 CPUs a week.

This is why AMD has no big OEMs listed. They can't supply them.

Lack of any of the major OEMs carrying Zen 3 should have been a big red flag for these "tech" sites. That's a major fail.

dacostafilipe

Oct 10, 2013
I'm guessing that is hyperbole.

Well, if you can compare Intel 10nm to AMD 7nm supply and state that it's "in full swing" while ignoring Intel 14nm volumes, why can't I say that people are waiting for Zen3 in a forum for pc enthusiasts? I could even say that Zen3 is "in full swing", despite the real issue to get a Zen3 CPU, right?

Reactions: Tlh97

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Which "problem" would you rather have?

Best production capacity but inferior architecture and process.

or

Best architecture and process but limited production capacity.

RasCas99

May 18, 2020
Which "problem" would you rather have?

Best production capacity but inferior architecture and process.

or

Best architecture and process but limited production capacity.
Its never black and white , and in this case its better to be the "Best architecture and process but limited production capacity" , thats because once the console craze is over , which is probably 1-2 months away , AMD can pump out 7nm to the rest of the industry as their heart content (or as supply demands) , Intel on the other hand , cannot solve their issues in 1-2 months.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Its never black and white , and in this case its better to be the "Best architecture and process but limited production capacity" , thats because once the console craze is over , which is probably 1-2 months away , AMD can pump out 7nm to the rest of the industry as their heart content (or as supply demands) , Intel on the other hand , cannot solve their issues in 1-2 months.
So you are saying that after the consoles die down, AMD would have the capacity from TSMC to supply 70% or more, of the PC market, as intel has now? OK then.
I am not disagreeing that Intel has more serious problems right now than AMD, but I think you are seriously over estimating how many chips AMD could produce.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

I think AMD is in a great position currently. I'd rather have a supply problem (AMD) rather than demand (Intel). Looks like AMD is selling Zen 3 at full list price as well while Intel parts are being deeply discounted, which of course is a consequence of their demand problem and compounds the economic issue since now they are selling less parts and at lower margins.

Reactions: guachi

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
Doesn't look to me like Intel has a demand problem, and margin has been higher the past 2 years than at any time in the preceding 13 years..

1606857583297.png

1606858028280.png

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
I think AMD is in a great position currently. I'd rather have a supply problem (AMD) rather than demand (Intel). Looks like AMD is selling Zen 3 at full list price as well while Intel parts are being deeply discounted, which of course is a consequence of their demand problem and compounds the economic issue since now they are selling less parts and at lower margins.

Intel is selling parts at higher margins, essentially they are retreating back into their Xeon castle in accordance to their singular obsession with margin. It looks good on short term financial reports but it also means that when that last castle falls, it is all over, because all that big talk about expanding their TAM and competing in markets other than CPU's looks to be just all bluster.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Bob Swan about Alder Lake:

And then to your point, Alder Lake, a very exciting product that we expect to launch for desktop and mobile in the second half of the year. Leveraging our advanced – our SuperFin process technology to your point new microarchitectures for large and small significant gen on gen performance versus Tiger Lake.

So we're looking at the Alder Lake product in the second half of the year being a real exciting product that will help with our industry partners continue to capture on the essential nature of the PC as we go throughout 2021.

So they expect both desktop and mobile ADL for next year. It looked like next year ADL would be desktop only but some people claimed Q3 desktop and Q4 mobile.

Zepp

May 18, 2019
essentially they are retreating back into their Xeon castle in accordance to their singular obsession with margin. It looks good on short term financial reports but it also means that when that last castle falls, it is all over
that made me imagine season 8 Cersei in the inner castle watching Drogon firebombing the city getting closer and closer.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Doesn't look to me like Intel has a demand problem, and margin has been higher the past 2 years than at any time in the preceding 13 years..

View attachment 34893

View attachment 34895

Those reports are all indicative of business before the release of Zen 3. But of course you may be right and Intel may continue increase margins.

What caused that drop in late 2009/early 2010?

As I've written, we'll know more in 6 months.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
Those reports are all indicative of business before the release of Zen 3. But of course you may be right and Intel may continue increase margins.

The recession. By 2009 Intel had already released Core / Core 2, so they were winning back market share from the earlier Athlon / Opteron gaps, and in Jan 2010 they were releasing their first 32nm products. 2009 was a trough at 35.1B Net -> 43.6 in 2010 -> 54.0 2011.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

Intel's net margin over the last couple of years has greatly benefited from reduced tax rates and eliminating less profitable operations. Their gross margin isn't so rosy over the last couple of years.

1606926262640.png

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
Intel's net margin over the last couple of years has greatly benefited from reduced tax rates and eliminating less profitable operations. Their gross margin isn't so rosy over the last couple of years.

View attachment 34940

That's not years that's like 9 months.

Anything you know of happened in the last 9 months that might affect their gross margin? /s

Intel's gross margin actually increased from March 2019 to March 2020.

Reactions: lightmanek

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
That's not years that's like 9 months.

Anything you know of happened in the last 9 months that might affect their gross margin? /s

Intel's gross margin actually increased from March 2019 to March 2020.

That's the last 2 years (Sep 2018 to Sep 2020), you can check it yourself here:

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
That's the last 2 years (Sep 2018 to Sep 2020), you can check it yourself here:

Manufacturers were hit harder than non manufacturers is what's affecting *gross* margin. Intel had to shut down plants, restart them, and put in new workplace procedures. AMD is not a manufacturer.

Having said that, the real point in volume is in the very charts you linked to. Example : Intel's increase in revenue (total sold) from Q2 2019 to Q2 2020 was about +$3.2B. AMD's entire revenue stream for Q2 2020 was 1.9B.

Q3, two factors came into play.

AMD is shipping huge quantities for PS5 and Xbox X/S. That's the first statement in their Q3 release, revenue was driven by 'embedded / custom / semi-custom'. That's Xbox / Playstation.

For Intel, Q3 declined. They stated this was due to corporate purchases dropping off and lower margin retail sales becoming a higher percentage of their market. This makes sense, offices are empty and corporations aren't going to go around buying PCs for people who aren't present.

There's no implosion for Intel so far. Seems like people are trying to make a blip after two blowout quarters into something it isn't.

1606929541935.png

Reactions: lightmanek