Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 216 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
For laptops especially you have 2 yearly windows that you really want refreshed models available for. The first is back to school from late July to early September. The next is the holiday window from mid November or so through Christmas. Based only on that tweet, it seems like Tigerlake will officially launch in the middle of the year, but not in time to make the back to school window in terms of volume that OEMs want.

Icelake from last year is a good example, I mean they have launched on August 1. The market impact is very low initially after a mobile launch, it can take a couple of months. Sometimes 1 month and sometimes 3-4 months. However it is obvious Tigerlake is in much better shape than Icelake last year. Intel promises 50 design wins for the holiday season which is 43% higher than Icelake last year.

Reactions: Hitman928

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
Tiger lake is looking pretty good TBH, 7nm late 2021?..i presume some 15w pipe cleaner.. Still pretty good news for them if you ask me, once they get to 7nm they are right back on track.
They should have a solid 6-8 month performance lead at 15w with Tiger lake before cezzane? Arrives next year with zen 3/rdna 2/lpddr5?..which in turn would have around 6 month per lead until Intel does something really special with big little on 7nm.

Finally we have some proper back and forth competition as we have Renoir ruling the 15w-35w class months after Intel ruled with icelake/skylake derivatives.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Tiger lake is looking pretty good TBH, 7nm late 2021?..i presume some 15w pipe cleaner...

"Pipe cleaner" is their enterprise graphics, likely Ponte Vecchio.

Intel 10nm isn't out of the woods yet. 50+ design wins for 6 months is a pathetic number by Intel standards. Last year Cometlake U/Y had 90 design wins for only 4 months. Kabylake had 185. Cometlake H is 100+ for 8 months.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they release Iris Plus "G9" graphics for Tigerlake.

By the way, one person got it right for the "secret" way back. 2LM for TGL-H is Optane DIMMs.

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
It's possible to deconstruct an IC layer by layer and then perform lithography etching to re-wire small portions of an IC. This has been done for many years to test high level metal fixes before doing a full redesign and refab. However, this is a design issue fix, not a yield or process issue fix, and you're not doing it on the low level metals, not at advanced nodes especially. If you can fix an IC through this process with consistent results, you can then fix the design and have a production ready chip. The only thing I can think of that would make any sense is if Intel messed up in their redundancy connections and were able to fix it on a couple of chips this way but then determined that even with redundancy, yields were too low.
Wow, I learned something today. Be surprised if that's still being done. CPUs are first created on FPGAs now-a-days, so that's where a design fix would be test, IMO. I do wonder what % of a die is devoted toward redundancy on today's advanced nodes.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Your postings are full of fanboy nonsense lately. Not long ago you wrote this in regards to SKUs:

It did not take long to get another example of you bright speculation skills. You are always wrong and I'm expecting this trend to be continuing.

I think it's about time you stop publicly berating people on this sub forum like this. From the Rules Sticky:

OK, I will keep this short and sweet. You all know the rules, or better learn to read them. Here are cliff notes:

No baiting, flaming, trolling, thread crapping, cussing or insulting. So if you have an opinion you can state without insulting people, do so, stating it as an opinion. If you have FACTS on a thread, link to a reputable source and state your summation. Anything else not pertinent to a thread is probably infractionable. Also note, we have revised our infraction/vacation policy in CPU such that repeat offenders are now going to find themselves with less time to make trouble in the forums. Members will now receive a vacation automatically every time they commit a posting infraction starting with their 3rd infraction. (previously no vacation time was served until a member committed their 10th infraction)

We have had a lot of infractions lately and fanboys, insults and the like, and we are NOT going to tolerate it.

• Love
Reactions: spursindonesia

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
I think it's about time you stop publicly berating people on this sub forum like this. From the Rules Sticky:

He is trolling all the time, what do you expect. It's about time and stop trolling like a fool.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
In the realm of crazyness. Got this dropped...

Project << Starwars Moon? >>
ISA << IA-FUTURE >>
Node << Intel 5nm >>

From the later cove core to the above is the equivalent aggregate perf/watt enhancement of P5 on 0.8 μm to the later cove core. <== Other than the vague info.

5nm development has started.
5nm memories will be next.
5nm logic will be after.
5nm microarchitectures+other ip after that.
w/ the launch being a short time from now in a foundry very, very near....

Regardless, I'm going to distance myself even further from these "intel" people.

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
That was my first thought. 7nm CPUs are a 2022 proposition, at best.
If Intel can't deliver 7nm CPUs in 2022, well, guess they'll have another new CEO. How they are keeping 7nm EUV progress so quiet is beyond me - seems like all legitimate sources have gone dark (doesn't stop wanton speculation).
Can someone from AZ sneak one of the surveillance 'bugs' into the Chandler plant :p

trivik12

Jan 26, 2006
last year comet lake had more design wins than Icelake but at least in retail Ice lake dominated all the laptops available. That is true even today if you go to Costco, Best Buy etc and look at laptops. Most of them are ice lake.

I am sure you wont see any shortage of Tigerlake laptops. I hope Apple has 14" MBP with Tigerlake along with 12-13" MB on A14x. I am really curious about A14x and could buy that if Apple does not restrict multi tasking like what we see for IOS devices.

Dave2150

Jan 20, 2015
Hey All,

Any confirmed plans of Intel's next desktop CPU, following the release of Comet Lake's Core i9 10900? Will the next gen be a DDR5 platform?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
As for TIger Lake, pretty sure the U announcement will be in June because that's when Apple's WWDC is. Still think it's going to be those 28+ W models initally. When you will actually be able to buy it and if it's more than just token demand until November, we'll have to see. The virus may play a part in that.

Hey All,

Any confirmed plans of Intel's next desktop CPU, following the release of Comet Lake's Core i9 10900? Will the next gen be a DDR5 platform?

After Comet Lake is Rocket Lake. Same LGA 1200 platform. No DDR5. DDR5 is for LGA 1700 which is after LGA 1200. So two years from now.

Dave2150

Jan 20, 2015
After Comet Lake is Rocket Lake. Same LGA 1200 platform. No DDR5. DDR5 is for LGA 1700 which is after LGA 1200. So two years from now.

Thanks. Just read up a bit on LGA 1700, So Alderlake on 10nm with a chiplet design. I'll keep my 6700k@4.7Ghz until this releases.

I doubt AMD will be able to compete with it, 10nm should be clocking sky high by then, with the huge IPC gain.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
Thanks. Just read up a bit on LGA 1700, So Alderlake on 10nm with a chiplet design. I'll keep my 6700k@4.7Ghz until this releases.

I doubt AMD will be able to compete with it, 10nm should be clocking sky high by then, with the huge IPC gain.

There's been no leak mentioning chiplets yet. And I'm not sure why you'd think they'd have such a clock speed advantage, being a node or even two behind.

Dave2150

Jan 20, 2015
There's been no leak mentioning chiplets yet. And I'm not sure why you'd think they'd have such a clock speed advantage, being a node or even two behind.

Thought it was pretty obvious, not sure if troll but I'll elaborate. I imagine 10nm will be clocking much higher (I used the adjective "skyhigh") when Alderlake-S releases in ~2 years, compared to what 10nm is capable of clocking to today.

Regarding chiplets, obviously nothing is confirmed but seems likely/possible based on the socket dimension changes and common sense, based on what they competition are doing (AMD).

Last edited:

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
I imagine 10nm will be clocking much higher (I used the adjective "skyhigh") when Alderlake-S releases in ~2 years, compared to what 10nm is capable of clocking to today.

Sure, 10nm will almost certainly be clocking better than it currently does, but that doesn't mean it'll be better than what TSMC will have available. Hell, it might not be better than what TSMC has now.

Regarding chiplets, obviously nothing is confirmed but seems likely/possible based on the socket dimension changes and common sense, based on what they competition are doing (AMD).

What "common sense"? The rumored 8+8 config for Alder Lake S isn't something that could be reused in the server market, which was AMD's primary motivation. And Intel has the volumes to have different dies for each market anyway. I could see a GPU chiplet, but there haven't been any rumors for that past the old Rocket Lake leak.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Thought it was pretty obvious, not sure if troll but I'll elaborate. I imagine 10nm will be clocking much higher (I used the adjective "skyhigh") when Alderlake-S releases in ~2 years, compared to what 10nm is capable of clocking to today.

In 2 years, hopefully Intel will have a good 7nm desktop CPU (since you are waiting). Unless they screw up again, that should be much better than Adler Lake.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
In 2 years, hopefully Intel will have a good 7nm desktop CPU (since you are waiting). Unless they screw up again, that should be much better than Adler Lake.

That would be an aggressive timeline it looks. IIRC Intel is still saying Q4 21 for 7 nm HVM. Most of 1H 22 is probably going to be only Granite Rapids and Ponte Vecchio.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

This isn't exactly an AMD thread so maybe that's not the best thing to be discussing here (due to derailment factors). If you just want to get Intel to get Intel, yeah, I would agree that Alder Lake is probably their next credible release. It's just very late. Very, very late. It may not compete as well as you'd think. Also the rumours of it using Cove and -mont cores gives me some pause. Intel may not be very serious about MT throughput with such a chip.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

Clocking sky high ? Huge IPC gain ? What drugs are you on ? I need some...

• Love
Reactions: spursindonesia

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
That would be an aggressive timeline it looks. IIRC Intel is still saying Q4 21 for 7 nm HVM. Most of 1H 22 is probably going to be only Granite Rapids and Ponte Vecchio.
Intel has said they expect to ramp up aggressively. So again, unless something is going on that nobody knows about, we will see a full stack in 2022. What’s 1H or 2H, only Intel knows.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Intel has said they expect to ramp up aggressively. So again, unless something is going on that nobody knows about, we will see a full stack in 2022. What’s 1H or 2H, only Intel knows.

Moving that aggressively would be nice, I just don't think it's realistic. More realistic would be mobile in 2H 22 and desktop in 1H 23.
But yes, things could change. Perhaps something HEDT based upon Granite Rapids.

This isn't exactly an AMD thread so maybe that's not the best thing to be discussing here (due to derailment factors). If you just want to get Intel to get Intel, yeah, I would agree that Alder Lake is probably their next credible release. It's just very late. Very, very late. It may not compete as well as you'd think. Also the rumours of it using Cove and -mont cores gives me some pause. Intel may not be very serious about MT throughput with such a chip.

Clearly Alder Lake is more about mobile and per core performance than just straight MT. After all, it only has 8 big cores max.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Moving that aggressively would be nice, I just don't think it's realistic. More realistic would be mobile in 2H 22 and desktop in 1H 23.
But yes, things could change. Perhaps something HEDT based upon Granite Rapids.
Why? We literally have no info on 7nm EUV based products, except for what Intel is telling us. None. At this point, everything is a priority, the whole lineup lineup is ancient.