Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 138 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
Is it possible to undervolt it? I remember toying with XPS13 ~3 years ago, had to undervolt it pretty hard with XTU to keep thermals and noise reasonable. I think -0.1V offset was what I've settled in the end.
I had about 20 min, there wasnt time this was coincidence
waiting for apple to release something good with icelake, but tigerlake looks like a chip for years

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
According to Hardwareluxx they heard from some "insider sources" that 10nm for desktop is canceled entirely, it would mean Alder Lake-S is canceled. Instead they would release something on 7nm based.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
According to Hardwareluxx they heard from some "insider sources" that 10nm for desktop is canceled entirely, it would mean Alder Lake-S is canceled. Instead they would release something on 7nm based.

TBH it would have been shocking if Alder Lake-S had actually been released.

If Rocket Lake really is Skylake cores, Intel's gonna have a bad time for quite a while.

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
TBH it would have been shocking if Alder Lake-S had actually been released.

If Rocket Lake really is Skylake cores, Intel's gonna have a bad time for quite a while.
IMO Intel will stay on 14nm more+ for a while on desktop, but they cannot remain another 2,5-3 years with skylake

if yes, that a serious business, currently skylake is 4 years old

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
How?
With Intel's levels of DTCO to boot?

Theoretically they could have backported Sunny Cove to 14nm. Rocket also hits later than IceLake and Comet Lake on the (leaked) roadmaps, and it's supposed to have Gen12 graphics to boot (albeit GT1). So it's theoretically possible that it'll be 4c-8c Sunny Cove. Comet should be the last Skylake refresh . . . should be.

liahos1

Aug 28, 2013
why wouldn't intel put out a 10nm++ desktop product in 2021? They've already said they are going to be on this node for 3 years while they ramp 7nm in 2021.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Nah, it's impossible, just look at that ROB.

But that was Piednol's plan all along! He's a genius. Surely it would be a good idea?!?!

(lulz)

If it is Skylake again though, bleh. Stupid Intel.

Separate onpkg iGP is simple and dirt cheap way to get new media engines.

See, that is exactly what I expect them to do. Removing the iGPU from the main die gives them more transistors to throw at a bigger core. And I'm pretty sure Sunny Cove on 14nm would wind up being bigger than Skylake. Which is why I would expect Rocket to retreat from the 10c limit set by Comet.

why wouldn't intel put out a 10nm++ desktop product in 2021?

Because they can't. Notice that they've delayed IceLake-SP.

They've already said they are going to be on this node for 3 years while they ramp 7nm in 2021.

For mobile parts, Agilex, and Tremont, sure.

Reactions: CHADBOGA

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
And I'm pretty sure Sunny Cove on 14nm would wind up being bigger than Skylake
It'll also burn immeasurable amounts of power and have questionable clocks.
And that's assuming they can carry their DTCO efforts back to 14.

liahos1

Aug 28, 2013
charlie also said 10nm was dead. We have 10nm mobile parts this year and icelake sp has been sampling since the summer. I don't put much stock in what he says. We had a 65w Tigerlake pcie-id leak a few days ago.

Murthy had a 3 year roadmap for 10nm through 2021. What are they going to be building on 10nm++ in 2021?

liahos1

Aug 28, 2013

here is an article from a year ago 53 weeks ago. 10nm was cancelled then.

You can go buy a 10nm laptop today. Again unless you have anything to disprove otherwise, 10nm is working.

I hear Intel doubles 10nm wafer capacity this month. Why would they do this if its uneconomical.

are you really charlie, Yotsugi?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
They can't even yield half the XCC cores.
I bet they ship binned HCC by late'20 so that shareholders won't crucify them.

They could just cancel it and release Sapphire Rapids, which you would think would be easier to yield.