Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 122 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
In their Q&A, Intel said the GPGPUs are interesting for process nodes. The redundancy that's offered by the GPGPU allows them to work even early in the process node cycle, and they've compared that contrary to a CPU. And that's why the GPGPU is the lead product for 7nm, and why the server CPU will come later.

So even if they have issues in 10nm, per mm2 their dGPU might be easier to produce than their server CPU.

The redundancy plus the fact they are using chiplets (via Foveros and EMIB) should let them make a relatively high amount of high end dGPGPUs.

Boosted cache size as well?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0141933116000053

To achieve higher performance and energy efficiency, GPGPU architectures have recently begun to employ hardware caches. Adding caches to GPGPUs, however, does not always guarantee improved performance and energy efficiency due to the thrashing in small caches shared by thousands of threads.

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
Wow intel 10nm clock scaling looks even worse then tmsc 7nm(which has been disappointing) . The knee of the curve also looks like it kicks in a few 100mhz earlier then tmsc 7nm as well.

Maybe they should back port sunny cove to 14nm, but the cores would be massive!

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
CPU performance is hard to distinguish from Whiskey Lake (i7-1065G7 vs 8565U), will likely come behind Comet Lake (6 cores?).
GPU performance has significant deficit to NVIDIA GeForce MX150, even though G7 has comparable FLOPS and memory bandwidth. (considered the aspects of shared power and mem band)

Welp, I have been hearing positive things concerning Tiger Lake.

ajc9988

Apr 1, 2015
CPU performance is hard to distinguish from Whiskey Lake (i7-1065G7 vs 8565U), will likely come behind Comet Lake (6 cores?).
GPU performance has significant deficit to NVIDIA GeForce MX150, even though G7 has comparable FLOPS and memory bandwidth. (considered the aspects of shared power and mem band)

Welp, I have been hearing positive things concerning Tiger Lake.
You also heard positive things about ice lake. So...

Meanwhile, here is PCWorld looking at ice lake with a less beefy cooling than a Dell.

This was done with a software developer system, so final with OEMs may lift performance somewhat.

birdie

Jan 12, 2019
Some benchmarks from PCWorld:

Attachments

• cinebench_r15.png
    cinebench_r15.png
    85.9 KB · Views: 44
  • cinebench_r15_st.png
    cinebench_r15_st.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 44
  • cinebench_r20.png
    cinebench_r20.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 35
  • cinebench_r20_st.png
    cinebench_r20_st.png
    102.3 KB · Views: 35
  • geekbench4_mt.png
    geekbench4_mt.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 28
  • geekbench4_sfft.png
    geekbench4_sfft.png
    74.2 KB · Views: 21
  • geekbench4_st.png
    geekbench4_st.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 19
  • pcmark10.png
    pcmark10.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 18
  • pcmark10_content.png
    pcmark10_content.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 19
  • pcmark10_productivity.png
    pcmark10_productivity.png
    93.1 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: ikjadoon

birdie

Jan 12, 2019
Part 2:

Attachments

• 3dmark_time_spy.png
    3dmark_time_spy.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 18
  • gaming_crysis2007.png
    gaming_crysis2007.png
    86 KB · Views: 21
  • gaming_csgo_720p_high.png
    gaming_csgo_720p_high.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 25
  • gaming_wot_encore_med.png
    gaming_wot_encore_med.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 21
  • povray.png
    povray.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 18
  • handbrake_x265.png
    handbrake_x265.png
    94.5 KB · Views: 18

birdie

Jan 12, 2019
The thing would've been pretty good 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, not now.

But why? Ice Lake U is quite faster than any Ryzen mobile APU in terms of CPU power and has a slightly faster GPU. In MT mode it's quite faster than Whisky Lake while they match one another in ST mode. And you won't have to install and have fun with NVIDIA GPU drivers.

The only question right now is the pricing. Hopefully Ice Lake based laptops will not be substantially more expensive than Whisky Lake based ones.

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
Because it's meh while not being economical for Intel whatsoever.
Comet-U for volume market is a thing for a reason.
Ice Lake U is quite faster than any Ryzen mobile APU in terms of CPU power and has a slightly faster GPU
Not that hard to beat a slightly dusted off RR, particularly with 50% more bandwidth available.
In MT mode it's quite faster than Whisky Lake while they match one another in ST mode
You're not going to run heavy MT loads on 15W parts.

ajc9988

Apr 1, 2015
But why? Ice Lake U is quite faster than any Ryzen mobile APU in terms of CPU power and has a slightly faster GPU. In MT mode it's quite faster than Whisky Lake while they match one another in ST mode. And you won't have to install and have fun with NVIDIA GPU drivers.

The only question right now is the pricing. Hopefully Ice Lake based laptops will not be substantially more expensive than Whisky Lake based ones.
That compared it to 2000 series APUs, first off, while also not being fully an honest comparison as they had other parts with higher tdp better suited for iGP whereas Intel chose not to create a different category and users mostly the same iGP across the spectrum.

Also, as pointed out, memory capacity and bandwidth available.

Then again, I don't game on items like this. I have a desktop for those purposes. I don't really know many people choosing these to game on. More video watching and basic services.

birdie

Jan 12, 2019
You being able to run these loads != you are going to do that.

On my SkyLake U 15W laptop I do run compilation and encoding tasks (I do limit CPU frequency though because my laptop's cooling is far from great and I'm afraid such tasks will kill it). Still don't know what you're talking about.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
...................................................................................................................................................
But why? Ice Lake U is quite faster than any Ryzen mobile APU in terms of CPU power and has a slightly faster GPU..

Nothing exceptional, perf/watt wise it score 590pts in CB R15 at 15W while a Raven Ridge is at 490 and Picasso at 540 pts or so, that s what you call quite faster..?

GPU wise it s weaker than even Raven Ridge, it s only due to 3733MHz RAM (more than in DTs...) that it can compete with 2400 MHz RAM equipped RR, not sure that it will be competitive with Picasso + 2933 RAM.

On the IPC front Intel s 18% is BS, from PCWorld review we can deduct that in Geekbench 5% of the better "IPC" AVERAGE is brought by AES and AVX2.

In CB R15 ST it is 3% faster clock/clock than SKL and roughly 4% slower than Zen 2, i guess that to get their 18% they also included Quiksync as another IPC provider...

Reactions: happy medium