Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 685 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
god what were they thinking…
It was one of the many "Good Ideas" from their last CEO... Hence he got Fired and I am sure now there is a Non-Rehirable Warning wiht Huge Red Caps on his file.... :D

. . . Emerald Rapids.
I've been thinking that Since SPR have been on an Eternal ES Cycle for a few years now. Is Intel actually closer to releasing Emerald Rapids than Sapphire Rapids? Please don't tell it's the same Team working on both, I always thought they had different team working on separate projects....

I have yet to se Emerald Rapids A0 or early ES sample in the wild.

Last edited:

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
Seems like TSMC denied the rumor as well.

Wccftech got another Intel statement

I really don't think this was about Intel. There was plenty of news about other customers pulling back on orders and trying to re-negotiate. There's probably just not as much 3nm demand as TSMC anticipated, which shouldn't be real surprising given macro factors. PC sales crated, phone sales cratered, general electronics sales crated (see Best Buy), and there are reports of oversupply everywhere.

I should probably put this out as a reminder too. The inflection point on cost per chip is at 7nm. The development cost for 3nm, before you even produce anything, is astronomical and very few can afford it :

Unwdy4CoCC6A6Gn4JE38Hc-1200-80.jpg

nano3-768x399.png

Last edited:

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
It was one of the many "Good Ideas" from their last CEO...
It was BK that laid off the server validation team, not Swan.
I've been thinking that Since SPR have been on an Eternal ES Cycle for a few years now. Is Intel actually closer to releasing Emerald Rapids than Sapphire Rapids? Please don't tell it's the same Team working on both
Emerald Rapids is basically a Sapphire Rapids refresh. It's probably delayed almost 1:1 with SPR, but even if not, it's not going to budge the needle regarding the performance gap.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
Yikes! Half a billion+ for 5nm. And if it gets worse, say bye-bye to affordable chips.

Yeah, this is why sometimes I mention 'bifurcation' in the market - between the haves (latest node) and have-nots (older nodes) due to cost of designing and then making these sub 5nm chips.

We are already seeing it with Apple where next year they are expected to have the normal iPhone on 5nm still while the Pro and Pro Max might be on 3nm.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
Yeah, this is why sometimes I mention 'bifurcation' in the market - between the haves (latest node) and have-nots (older nodes) due to cost of designing and then making these sub 5nm chips.

We are already seeing it with Apple where next year they are expected to have the normal iPhone on 5nm still while the Pro and Pro Max might be on 3nm.
Eh, I'm not sold on some of these numbers. Sure, maybe costs start that high, but they come down over time with cost reductions in the nodes and cheaper IP.

Also, the Apple situation is quite different. They're paying to design and tape out a 3nm SoC regardless. Just for one reason or another, they're not using it across the lineup.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Emerald Rapids is basically a Sapphire Rapids refresh. It's probably delayed almost 1:1 with SPR, but even if not, it's not going to budge the needle regarding the performance gap.

Emerald Rapids is scheduled to be released in the second half of 2023, if they are 1:1 with SPR, this may well end up being second half 2024

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
Emerald Rapids is scheduled to be released in the second half of 2023, if they are 1:1 with SPR, this may well end up being second half 2024
Well if we take Igor's dates, +1 year would still be H2'23, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to shave a bit of time off for such a simple iteration. If it takes them till H2 2024, with the accompanying implication that GNR is also delayed, well then just write off Intel's future in servers entirety.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Well if we take Igor's dates, +1 year would still be H2'23, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to shave a bit of time off for such a simple iteration. If it takes them till H2 2024, with the accompanying implication that GNR is also delayed, well then just write off Intel's future in servers entirety.
When can we expect to see ES Samples of Emerald Rapids if they are going to be releasing them at the end of 2023?

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Eh, I'm not sold on some of these numbers. Sure, maybe costs start that high, but they come down over time with cost reductions in the nodes and cheaper IP.

Also, the Apple situation is quite different. They're paying to design and tape out a 3nm SoC regardless. Just for one reason or another, they're not using it across the lineup.

I'm not going to comment on the absolute number estimate, but the relative growth seems to match what I know about design costs on these processes. If you notice, the 'software' and 'verification' categories are the two highest contributors, not the cost of the physical masks/wafers. This is because the tool vendors force you to pay more money to support lower geometry nodes with their tool sets (usually because it requires additional functionality at lower nodes) and it's not just a little more. The lower nodes you go, the number and complexity of rules also increases and sometimes model complexity increases, which increases the time it takes for simulation and verification. You may also have to start bringing in all new tools into your flow for certain checks because of how hard the physics of everything are being pushed and the complexity of all the new packaging techniques.

It's not just the fab build outs themselves that are increasing in costs, but the cost to design on those processes is increasing significantly as well. I know of several design houses that are well funded (not the big boy Samsung/AMD/Intel type but still pretty well funded) that are trying to stay on older nodes as long as they possibly can because the design cost to jump to the n+1 (for them) node is brutal and so they are trying to make the nodes they are on now work for them as long as possible.

tomatosummit

Mar 21, 2019
I'm not going to comment on the absolute number estimate, but the relative growth seems to match what I know about design costs on these processes. If you notice, the 'software' and 'verification' categories are the two highest contributors, not the cost of the physical masks/wafers. This is because the tool vendors force you to pay more money to support lower geometry nodes with their tool sets (usually because it requires additional functionality at lower nodes) and it's not just a little more. The lower nodes you go, the number and complexity of rules also increases and sometimes model complexity increases, which increases the time it takes for simulation and verification. You may also have to start bringing in all new tools into your flow for certain checks because of how hard the physics of everything are being pushed and the complexity of all the new packaging techniques.

It's not just the fab build outs themselves that are increasing in costs, but the cost to design on those processes is increasing significantly as well. I know of several design houses that are well funded (not the big boy Samsung/AMD/Intel type but still pretty well funded) that are trying to stay on older nodes as long as they possibly can because the design cost to jump to the n+1 (for them) node is brutal and so they are trying to make the nodes they are on now work for them as long as possible.
"Software" is a pretty vague term here. While the licensing costs are probably eye watering does it include the man hours designing and egnineering your designs?
With time even those costs will drop, licences are a prime spot for negotiation, using mature third party IP blocks, reusing your own IP blocks, tool development to reduce hours of simulation or automated designing and even open specifications so companies can share costs.
A lot of the talk from chip companies moving forward is about how they're compartmentalising their design efforts so a soc can be made in a more mix and match style reducing costs. So a new product on a new node will certainly cost the earth but that can be amortised even early on across multiple products and then the node will mature over time, see N7 to N6, tsmc themselves say they want people to move to N6 and a good way to that is to offer better value to their customers so I would bet it is significantly cheaper than the day1 N7 ~$300M figure we have for a new design.

Doug S

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2020
Yikes! Half a billion+ for 5nm. And if it gets worse, say bye-bye to affordable chips.

I saw that graph elsewhere and a guy in the industry refuted that, saying he's got in depth knowledge of several 7nm SoC designs (he didn't say for what) that were all in at the $75 - $100 million range, nowhere near the claimed $300 million.

pakotlar

Aug 22, 2003
It was one of the many "Good Ideas" from their last CEO... Hence he got Fired and I am sure now there is a Non-Rehirable Warning wiht Huge Red Caps on his file.... :D

I've been thinking that Since SPR have been on an Eternal ES Cycle for a few years now. Is Intel actually closer to releasing Emerald Rapids than Sapphire Rapids? Please don't tell it's the same Team working on both, I always thought they had different team working on separate projects....

Kzranich should be hired to break up monopolies, he’s really good at that.

pakotlar

Aug 22, 2003

Id be willing to bet 5 internet points that Emerald Rapids will be released same year as SPR, maybe as a 64 core high end offering in the same generation of processors.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Trendforce insights are 💩

It is consistent with what Digitimes had reported earlier (ie: Meteor Lake has been pushed from a paper launch in Q2 to 2023 because of Intel 4, and they don't know what to do with the TSMC wafers they ordered and now don't need)

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
It is consistent with what Digitimes had reported earlier (ie: Meteor Lake has been pushed from a paper launch in Q2 to 2023 because of Intel 4, and they don't know what to do with the TSMC wafers they ordered and now don't need)
That's not quite what the Digitimes report said, and either way, N3 wasn't in the cards for MTL.

And as a reminder of some historical predictions...

Reactions: pakotlar

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
That's not quite what the Digitimes report said, and either way, N3 wasn't in the cards for MTL.

So what do you think these N3 wafers were for if it wasn't for Meteor's IGP? Unless you don't believe that Intel had bought N3 wafers for 2H 22/1H 23 period.