Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 622 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
So SPR isn't super bad, but it'll have a tough time fighting Genoa(at least they can keep some HPC markets thanks to HBM variants). Intel will have a hard time before they get Sierra forest and Granite Rapids in 2024~2025.

I am going to leave this comment here which I believe it summarizes the ES Performance and possible performance on release samples.

"Although this is an ES chip and we expect performance to improve significantly for the Sapphire Rapids-SP chip in the QS state, the final chip may still be only competitive against AMD's EPYC Milan parts while it will be launching at the same time when AMD will come out guns blazing with its next-generation EPYC Genoa 7004 CPUs. With such high power draw and not enough performance at hand, it looks like Intel will be getting a serious beating in the server segment by AMD, something that has been the case over the past few generations"

Will Mr. Gelsinger still think it's a "Knife Fight on a Phone Booth" after the serious beat down yet another Xeon gets at the hands of an EPYC?

1651346620103.png

How many more people will get fired for buying Xeons?

1651346824762.png

Last edited:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
For 104 GC cores, they must be running at <=2GHz to get such a low score.
Its possible they will be slow, to fit in a 370 watt envelope. Thats 53 watts per 8 cores, less than any retail Alderlake. And thats 56 cores, they may be at 52.

At any rate, we have to wait for official reviews, but the one above looks pretty close, and it says Sapphire rapids will get killed in performance comparisons and generate a lot of heat and use a lot of power. Read the clip he copied from that review.

Edit: I just copied it

"Although this is an ES chip and we expect performance to improve significantly for the Sapphire Rapids-SP chip in the QS state, the final chip may still be only competitive against AMD's EPYC Milan parts while it will be launching at the same time when AMD will come out guns blazing with its next-generation EPYC Genoa 7004 CPUs. With such high power draw and not enough performance at hand, it looks like Intel will be getting a serious beating in the server segment by AMD, something that has been the case over the past few generations"

Reactions: Drazick

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Arrow Lake is a 2024 platform confirmed by Intel in February, it won't or cannot come before mid 2024 because of 20A which is manufacturing ready in H1 2024.

Oh right they're still claiming Arrow Lake will be on 20a in 2024. Color me skeptical. Meanwhile they're taking huge allocations of N3. They're going to do something with it, and N3 will be ready well before 20a.

I would be very surprised if all that N3 went only to Arc GPUs and GPU tiles.

I wouldn't read too much into SPR supporting 4S and 8S. Intel has always supported those in the past.

They have supported them, but only in very limited volume recently (see: Cooper Lake).

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
They have supported them, but only in very limited volume recently (see: Cooper Lake).

There's a limited demand for 4S and 8S so it checks out. The big time gap between Cooper and Sapphire is pretty obviously because they held Sapphire back (and Icelake Server) because of 10 nm yield.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
8S and quite possible 4S servers are probably not going to be around past SPR/EMR. What's the point when you can get 100-200 cores and 12 memory channels per socket?

My expectation is that anything that uses I4/I3/20A is going to be tiny volume at best, with the hope that they can make 18A work eventually.

Nah, they should at least get high volume on I3. I think 20A will depend on timing. If they actually manage to hold to their roadmap, 20A would only be around long enough for some ARL tiles. But if 18A got delayed, they might try to make a server chip with 20A.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
8S and quite possible 4S servers are probably not going to be around past SPR/EMR. What's the point when you can get 100-200 cores and 12 memory channels per socket?

The software they run always wants more and more... Power consumption might be the bigger deal.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
There is probably something wrong there with the Intel system, because Golden Cove is EXCEPTIONALLY strong in Cinebench.

Understatement of the week. 104 cores of ADL scoring 80K in CB23 at 2x370W power taken as gospel is hilarious.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
That's why i have been warning not to put any weight into those scores, yet You are linking to this thread and making bold claims as if it was ground truth.
Read again. He meant by Genoa in the server space. He's also 99,5% surely right about that.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
Read again. He meant by Genoa in the server space. He's also 99,5% surely right about that.

So basically comparing a product we have no reliable scores, using a proxy of claims about other product in who knows what configuration using pre-release silicon? Anandtech forums in nutshell.

While i have great hopes for Zen4, i will wait for someone like ServeTheHome and Phoronix to help me form the informed opinion, not some blatantly obvious wrong score.

Reactions: Mopetar

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Understatement of the week. 104 cores of ADL scoring 80K in CB23 at 2x370W power taken as gospel is hilarious.
Pretty much. Basic math using CB23 performance data for Golden Cove says an 80K score is what a single SPR 52 core SKU @ 370W should be able to achieve.

If we ignore uncore power on both SPR and ADL, 52 cores @ 370W results in around 7.1W / core. Punch in this number to obtain a normalized power baseline for ADL 8c/16t, and you get ~56W. For reference ADL-S 8c/16t does 14K score in CB23 with an average package power of 62W. Even if we lower the score to around 12K to account for much higher uncore power in SPR than a linear scaling of 6x from ADL-S, we can still confidently say 8 SPR cores can score 12K+ in CB23, which means 78K+ for 52 cores @ 370W running somwhere around 3.5Ghz.

@nicalandia is simply echoing rumor mill data without bothering to double check, and all we get here is poor quality discussions from people who are just too lazy to punch in the numbers.

Not every rumor is worth chewing!

Reactions: Tlh97 and Hulk

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Oh right they're still claiming Arrow Lake will be on 20a in 2024. Color me skeptical. Meanwhile they're taking huge allocations of N3. They're going to do something with it, and N3 will be ready well before 20a.

I would be very surprised if all that N3 went only to Arc GPUs and GPU tiles.

TSMC is being used for the GPUs, of course they are going to have tons of allocation. I suspect some of you don’t realize how many CPUs Intel sells every year. If each CPU counts as a GPU (since most have integrated GPUs), Intel sells more GPUs in a given year than NVIDIA or AMD.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
TSMC is being used for the GPUs, of course they are going to have tons of allocation. I suspect some of you don’t realize how many CPUs Intel sells every year. If each CPU counts as a GPU (since most have integrated GPUs), Intel sells more GPUs in a given year than NVIDIA or AMD.

We're talking 40 kwpm of N3. AMD's entire allocation of N5, at least initially, is alleged to be ~20 kwpm. Intel doesn't ship THAT many iGPUs. I don't think their entire 14nm production run got over 80 kwpm. And they used that for everything.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
That's why i have been warning not to put any weight into those scores, yet You are linking to this thread and making bold claims as if it was ground truth.
This score had nothing to do with him thinking that spr will be crushed by genoa. Quite the trip you're taking there.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
We're talking 40 kwpm of N3. AMD's entire allocation of N5, at least initially, is alleged to be ~20 kwpm. Intel doesn't ship THAT many iGPUs. I don't think their entire 14nm production run got over 80 kwpm. And they used that for everything.

Every single CPU they make has a GPU. They are also betting big on their discrete GPUs.

The numbers don’t seem out of line to me. I can easily see that many GPUs being shipped. Note that future integrated GPUs are speculated to be larger than the current ones.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
First I'm hearing of that; granted, Meteor Lake was supposed to come out in 2022 and Arrow Lake in 2023. They could push Arrow back to 2024.
How can that be the first you are hearing that? Every rumor for years was Meteor Lake being 14th gen and Arrow Lake being 15th gen. The only thing up in the air was some people here claimed that Meteor Lake was mobile only despite rumors otherwise.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
How can that be the first you are hearing that? Every rumor for years was Meteor Lake being 14th gen and Arrow Lake being 15th gen. The only thing up in the air was some people here claimed that Meteor Lake was mobile only despite rumors otherwise.

Unless the CPU chiplet is being fabbed at TSMC there is no way there will be a desktop version. They can't hide the volume like they can on mobile.

Reactions: Tlh97 and lobz

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Unless the CPU chiplet is being fabbed at TSMC there is no way there will be a desktop version. They can't hide the volume like they can on mobile.
Meteor Lake (Intel 4) only uses a bit of EUV. Much of it will be on the same type of equipment they are already using for Alder Lake. It is Intel 3 with much more EUV needed where they really don't have the capacity to fab enough.

Here are some desktop Meteor Lake rumors:
Of course those are mostly rumors or forward-looking statements from Intel. Thus things in the future can change. But for that to be DrMrLordX's first time hearing of desktop Meteor Lake meant his eyes were closed to the rumors.

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Mar 23, 2021: https://videocardz.com/newz/intels-first-7nm-client-architecture-meteor-lake-to-launch-in-2023 "Meteor Lake is Intel’s first 7nm client architecture, which means it will launch for desktop

No it doesn't. Client is a superset of desktop and mobile.

This 125 W is direct from Intel itself, slide 35: https://download.intel.com/newsroom/2021/client-computing/Intel-Accelerated-2021-presentation.pdf There are not that many 125 W CPUs that are mobile only

Alder Lake H line is 115.

All of the other links doesn't quote Intel at all.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Alder Lake H line is 115.

All of the other links doesn't quote Intel at all.
Alder Lake H is 45 W, boost 115 W. That is a completely different thing than a 125 W chip.

Why does it matter if they quote Intel for this discussion? The statement is that he never heard of it. All links are to ways he could have heard of it. The statement in discussion was not "is desktop Meteor Lake guaranteed to exist", it was about whether or not there was even a way to have heard about it.

Edit: Intel Chromium OS driver mentions Meteor Lake-S (-S is the suffix for desktop processors): https://github.com/intel/dptf/blob/...435925407c0/Common/esif_ccb_cpuid.h#L108-L112
#define CPUID_FAMILY_MODEL_MTL_S 0x000606C0 // Meteor Lake S

Last edited:
Reactions: IntelUser2000

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012

Maybe it's a limited desktop launch (in 2023). Like ADL-S being K-SKU limited in 2021. A full scale desktop lineup is unlikely because of the volume (EUV) limitation in 2023.

Why does it matter if they quote Intel for this discussion? The statement is that he never heard of it. All links are to ways he could have heard of it. The statement in discussion was not "is desktop Meteor Lake guaranteed to exist", it was about whether or not there was even a way to have heard about it.

Depends on the source, most of your links are irrelevant, they have no source. There are only two reliable sources for a desktop version as far as I know, the one where Intel told us it will scale from 5-125W and the second is MLID, he claimed there will be a desktop version.