Intel Corp. Reportedly "Vying Aggressively" for Huawei Chip Orders

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
These quotes have to burn for Intel:

"Intel has been talking about its contract chip manufacturing ambitions for years now, and so far, the business still isn't generating meaningful revenue. Moreover, Intel's manufacturing technologies have seen repeated delays, which have not only negatively impacted the competitiveness of Intel's internally designed products (which are a far higher priority for Intel's business), but have also hurt the competitiveness of Intel's technologies compared to other contract chip manufacturers' technologies.

Any company that chooses to use Intel as a contract chip manufacturer would, in my view, be taking a significant risk. If Intel can't ensure that its manufacturing technologies are ready on time to support the bulk of its roughly $60 billion in annual revenue, what confidence can a company like Huawei have that Intel will deliver for it? If Huawei is looking for a second source to TSMC because it's worried that Apple and Qualcomm are going to hog all of TSMC's leading-edge manufacturing capacity, then it might be smarter for Huawei to pick a chip manufacturer with a better track record.
"

Reactions: Dayman1225 and FIVR

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Has intel ever successfully manufactured and sold another company's product?

I think Huawei would be better off second sourcing from GlobalFoundries or Samsung than trying to be the pilot for intel's unrealized foundry ambitions.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Intels supposed process advantage hasnt been true for a decade.

Eh, I think it was probably true until around 2013. They lost the their density advantage to TSMC 28nm around then (in actual products not SRAM) but I think their process was still superior to 28nm.

When 14nmFF went up against TSMC 16nm and Samsung 14nm, that's when I believe their process advantage was truly gone.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
trolling? has to be, they are the third largest phone company on the planet

I've never heard of them in my entire life and couldn't be PAID to give a hoot about anything relating to smart phones. Huawei almost looks like Hawaii though, so that brought back memories of something that actually matters to me. I had hopes of Intel making outsourced AMD GPU's, but oh well.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Intel is toxic to anything it touches except it's big core line and maybe SSDs. Unless you are buying those products, "Intel Inside" is a sign to stay away. Atom is behind the times.

Last edited:

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Eh, I think it was probably true until around 2013. They lost the their density advantage to TSMC 28nm around then (in actual products not SRAM) but I think their process was still superior to 28nm.

When 14nmFF went up against TSMC 16nm and Samsung 14nm, that's when I believe their process advantage was truly gone.
Heck, even GloFo at 14nm or even 28 nm gave them a BIG battle... I guess that is the reason Mediatek moved to GloFo...

I've never heard of them in my entire life and couldn't be PAID to give a hoot about anything relating to smart phones. Huawei almost looks like Hawaii though, so that brought back memories of something that actually matters to me. I had hopes of Intel making outsourced AMD GPU's, but oh well.

Are you really serious? Huawei is pretty well known outside the United States, heck, even more than Apple (!), which the latter are competing against Xiaomi (another chinese new big guy or rabbit (due the mascot), and also well known outside United States).

Samsung, Apple, Sony, HTC and LG had lost a LOT of territory against those 2 guys.

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
Moon is working his way up to dialtones but in baby-steps. Hard for him to give up his rotary phone collection. Smartphones are still centuries out for him.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Yeah I'm serious. Why is that so hard to believe? Some random company with a stupid name almost like "Hawaii" that builds the most boring tech devices known to man and said tech devices cause people to not pay attention to other people unless they are on another boring device texting back? Is it so hard to believe I didn't have that ridiculous name floating around somewhere in my vocabulary? I wish I could erase it now since its a complete waste of cognitive resources.

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
Yeah I'm serious. Why is that so hard to believe? Some random company with a stupid name almost like "Hawaii" that builds the most boring tech devices known to man and said tech devices cause people to not pay attention to other people unless they are on another boring device texting back? Is it so hard to believe I didn't have that ridiculous name floating around somewhere in my vocabulary? I wish I could erase it now since its a complete waste of cognitive resources.
this deserves a smack so big that even google won't find you.....man google Huawei and its done

antihelten

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
Huawei is the world' third largest phone company behind Samsung and Apple.
https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS42935817

They would actually be the fourth largest behind Samsung, BBK and Apple. BBK is the parent company behind Oppo, Vivo and Oneplus, and is second only to Samsung in market share.

Also I would say that BBK is actually a brand where Moonbogg's reaction would actually make sense IMHO.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Just wow. Of topic, and I apologise, but just wow. It's the forefront of personal computing, the most important and most used form of computing. And it's run by truly innovative chips that are making large leaps fast, and that is your reaction?

Yep. The only feature of a smart phone I care about is the GPS and I could get that elsewhere. If smart phones were banned and made illegal TONIGHT, I wouldn't care, not even a little. So, you may think they are so important, but they aren't important to me. And before I retreat into my cave, realize this old 'thal held the #1 spot for Battlefield 4 M98B kills, on earth, for over a year and STILL remains #2 and I don't even play anymore. Not to mention STILL being #77, on earth, for kills per shot taken. Try doing that on your smart phone. (drops mic)

Reactions: happy medium

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Yep. The only feature of a smart phone I care about is the GPS and I could get that elsewhere. If smart phones were banned and made illegal TONIGHT, I wouldn't care, not even a little. So, you may think they are so important, but they aren't important to me. And before I retreat into my cave, realize this old 'thal held the #1 spot for Battlefield 4 M98B kills, on earth, for over a year and STILL remains #2 and I don't even play anymore. Not to mention STILL being #77, on earth, for kills per shot taken. Try doing that on your smart phone. (drops mic)

Nerrrrrd

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
Self esteem issues? Congrats you are good at something, yet you tear down things you are bad at or you are ignorant of, is your self image really so vulnerable?

And seriously you did a mic drop in an internet thread... I mean wow, seriously wow!

ksec

Mar 5, 2010
These quotes have to burn for Intel:

"Intel has been talking about its contract chip manufacturing ambitions for years now, and so far, the business still isn't generating meaningful revenue. Moreover, Intel's manufacturing technologies have seen repeated delays, which have not only negatively impacted the competitiveness of Intel's internally designed products (which are a far higher priority for Intel's business), but have also hurt the competitiveness of Intel's technologies compared to other contract chip manufacturers' technologies.

Any company that chooses to use Intel as a contract chip manufacturer would, in my view, be taking a significant risk. If Intel can't ensure that its manufacturing technologies are ready on time to support the bulk of its roughly $60 billion in annual revenue, what confidence can a company like Huawei have that Intel will deliver for it? If Huawei is looking for a second source to TSMC because it's worried that Apple and Qualcomm are going to hog all of TSMC's leading-edge manufacturing capacity, then it might be smarter for Huawei to pick a chip manufacturer with a better track record.
"

Highly likely they go with GF rather then Samsung. Although my guess is that TSMC works very hard to keep them as well. At the moment it seems TSMC have dedicated Fabs for Apple, and no body apart from Samsung will have those leading node capacity. But I bet Huawei dont want to have anything Samsung related.

And Intel has yet to prove themselves to be a workable partner for Fab. It seems they have absolutely no idea how its Fab should work with 3rd Party. Look at the time it takes for their Baseband modem to be done on Intel's node. It seems Intel has a cultural problem more then anything else.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
By Huawei they actually mean HiSilicon. It's owned by Huawei (which doesn't sound even remotely like Hawaii to me).