Question Intel Core i9-10920X 12-Core Cascade Lake-X CPU Leaks As AMD Plots November Threadripper Assault

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Intel Core i9-10920X 12-Core Cascade Lake-X CPU Leaks As AMD Plots November Threadripper Assault

Yet another Intel HEDT that has been turned EOL by Ryzen 3900x even before launch..! This is about to get brutal for Intel.
But those are priced higher than threadripper, and the 24 core threadripper will eat those all for breakfast.

Reactions: Drazick

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Still hating the naming on these 10 series chips...

Also, you need to consider the cost of a new platform motherboard... not just the CPU itself.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
But those are priced higher than threadripper, and the 24 core threadripper will eat those all for breakfast.
One would think that Intel has to price these lower than in the past (their 2x perf per dollar claim).
Then again, its Intel :rolleyes:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
sigh... and finally we have a 5 digit number...
i guess this is intel's "over 9000" cpu....

itsover1000.jpg

They should of just rebooted it and started calling it a i9-xxx series, as there is no 3 digit i9.
Or even called it a i9X-XXX

Yet another Intel HEDT that has been turned EOL by Ryzen 3900x even before launch..! This is about to get brutal for Intel.

Actually no.
Its not even on the same platform competition as the 3900X which is a 24 lane CPU.
The 3900X is not AMD's HEDT... that is Thread Ripper.
The i9-9900 series is on the same competition platform as the 3900X
This cpu is 1 up a 9000 series hence its OVER 9000.

The "over 9000" cpu is a full bloated x299x HEDT platform with 44 lanes, and would need to be placed on the same field as TR2, otherwise you wont get a fair competition due to the increased PCI-E lanes.

Brutal for intel?
Meh... id say both yes and no...
Depends on how much u need those clocks speeds over cores, in addition to the PCI-E lanes.
For example were getting close again in GPU's liking high clock speeds in 4K+ and as GPU tech gets more refined on the RTX and Ray Tracing, id wager you would want higher clock speeds to keep up with your 3000 series RTX Ti cards in a gaming / VR environment more then having 8+ cores.

Id wager these chips could probably easily break the 5ghz barrier without the requirement for exotic phase cooling.
Also the pricing better be a lot better then the current lineup is, otherwise i honestly think intel should just give up HEDT consumer market and stay with strict enterprise where people don't bat an eye spending 5,000+ dollars on a XEON.

Last edited:

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Actually no.
Its not even on the same platform competition as the 3900X which is a 24 lane CPU.
The 3900X is not AMD's HEDT... that is Thread Ripper..
The fact that 3900X and 3950X will make any HEDT Intel CPU from 10-18 cores End Of Life products just on performance/$ should be indicative on just how much ThreadRippers will curbstomp any Xeons that Intel may come up with in the next 2 years

Markfw

May 16, 2002
The fact that 3900X and 3950X will make any HEDT Intel CPU from 10-18 cores End Of Life products just on performance/$ should be indicative on just how much ThreadRippers will curbstomp any Xeons that Intel may come up with in the next 2 years
Actually, lets qualify that. It will curbstomp any cpus that use the current technology (14nm or + or ++). In case they come up earlier with a real competitive CPU on 10nm or less, in less than 2 years.

But yes, any of this line has been made effectively EOL based on Ryzen 3000 series, and the upcoming Threadripper 3000 series. In pure performance (including single core) multicore and price/perf, they don;t have a chance until they get a new more effective technology.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Actually, lets qualify that. It will curbstomp any cpus that use the current technology (14nm or + or ++). In case they come up earlier with a real competitive CPU on 10nm or less, in less than 2 years.

But yes, any of this line has been made effectively EOL based on Ryzen 3000 series, and the upcoming Threadripper 3000 series. In pure performance (including single core) multicore and price/perf, they don;t have a chance until they get a new more effective technology.
Yes, I was talking about any 14++++ Skylake refresh, the 10 nm will put good fight.

• Haha
Reactions: Mopetar

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Yes, I was talking about any 14++++ Skylake refresh, the 10 nm will put good fight.
I know, just trying to be specific, so someone does not come along any question our opinion, its fully qualified now. As for put up a good fight then ? I will comment when I have some concrete information, but right now, I have no faith in ANY Intel product, server or otherwise. I have not followed laptop CPUs that much, so let me say they are not included in that opinion. But laptop speed ? I would say who cares, any CURRENT AMD or Intel CPU works fine for everything, maybe even gaming. And battery life ? They even have 110 power plugs in the airplanes now ! So there are very few circumstances where many hours of battery are required.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000

itsover1000.jpg

They should of just rebooted it and started calling it a i9-xxx series, as there is no 3 digit i9.

Actually no.

The "over 9000" cpu is a full bloated x299x HEDT platform with 44 lanes, and would need to be placed on the same field as TR2, otherwise you wont get a fair competition due to the increased PCI-E lanes.

Brutal for intel?
Depends on how much u need those clocks speeds over cores, in addition to the PCI-E lanes.
Id wager these chips could probably easily break the 5ghz barrier without the requirement for exotic phase cooling.
Also the pricing better be a lot better then the current lineup is, otherwise i honestly think intel should just give up HEDT consumer market and stay with strict enterprise where people don't bat an eye spending 5,000+ dollars on a XEON.

The brutality is that as an HEDT product it is stillborn.
Slow clocked (and probably less power hungry) then either the non-HEDT Ryzen 3k CPU on top of Ryzen 3k's IPC uplift.
On a Platform that doesn't know quite what it is with all but the most expensive being pretty wishy washy on actual Lane utilization because of the 3 different supported configurations.
Then when you look at AMD and you see maybe a 30+ day window till TR3.
So if you need the memory channels, well TR will match it (or possibly even have low level TR3 CPU's run in TRX80 boards), has more PCIe lanes. Those lanes are almost universally available in all the ways you want them because AMD has stuck a single lane configuration.
To top it off. Do we know that this will be a 44 lane version or will it be a 28 lane dud?
Intel's LCC chips will have some kind of a chance the HCC ones not so much. This one and any 14 or 16 core ones are in a real bad spot. But it actually gets worse as more cores are added. Everything we know of Ryzen 3k and Rome. TR3 is going to have a value and performance field day with 10K on X299.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
As for put up a good fight then ? I will comment when I have some concrete information, but right now, I have no faith in ANY Intel product, server or otherwise. I have not followed laptop CPUs that much, so let me say they are not included in that opinion.
I believe I read that the 10nm Clock for Clock have about 15-18% boost in IPC, but that would put them neck and neck with Zen2, but IPC is just one side of the entire package, let see how the 10nm Xeons scale with core count, TDP, Yields and Security, there will be not much time between 10nm Xeons and Zen3 based Epycs so and so far we have not info on 10+ Xeons yet

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
I'm sure these will be 44+ lanes, they dropped the 28 lane versions in the 9000 series anyways.
Probably. These will launch in November, the same time as Threadripper 3k. Which will have 64 lanes of PCIe 4. And the smallest will be 24 cores. Intel will be woefully outgunned in that fight.

extide

Nov 18, 2009
www.teraknor.net
Probably. These will launch in November, the same time as Threadripper 3k. Which will have 64 lanes of PCIe 4. And the smallest will be 24 cores. Intel will be woefully outgunned in that fight.
Agreed, it's definitely just a hail mary launch to have something 'new' on the market for the Intel blind-faithful.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Agreed, it's definitely just a hail mary launch to have something 'new' on the market for the Intel blind-faithful.
Thats is pretty sad, but true... Even when I was still in IT, nobody would even look at AMD for a server or a desktop. Idiots....

Edit: I was speaking 2002-2005 ish. I know what until 2017, AMD had nothing after 2006 worth buying,

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Thats is pretty sad, but true... Even when I was still in IT, nobody would even look at AMD for a server or a desktop. Idiots....

Edit: I was speaking 2002-2005 ish. I know what until 2017, AMD had nothing after 2006 worth buying,
My first Amd CPU was a Athlon 2900+, but I don't was never into HEDT or Server CPUs, do you remember if the Athlon based Server CPUs were kicking Pention 4 based Xeons as hard as Epycs are kicking Xeons now?

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010

itsover1000.jpg

Actually no.

Brutal for intel?
For example were getting close again in GPU's liking high clock speeds in 4K+ and as GPU tech gets more refined on the RTX and Ray Tracing, id wager you would want higher clock speeds to keep up with your 3000 series RTX Ti cards in a gaming / VR environment more then having 8+ cores.

24 lane PCIe 4 > 44 lane PCIe 3

Couldn't resist. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: lightmanek

Markfw

May 16, 2002
My first Amd CPU was a Athlon 2900+, but I don't was never into HEDT or Server CPUs, do you remember if the Athlon based Server CPUs were kicking Pention 4 based Xeons as hard as Epycs are kicking Xeons now?
Yes, for a few years. But not as bad as they are now. It never took before, I hope it does now.

extide

Nov 18, 2009
www.teraknor.net
The Athlon MP chips were pretty sweet back in the day -- but as far as a good solid server platform -- no. They were just a pair of Athlon/AthlonXP chips strapped together, which was nice but there was a lot of infrastructure that they didn't have yet.

The Athlon 64 changed a lot of that, though and the original Opterons were great -- smoked P4's all day but couldn't really hang with the Core2 and the Xeon versions of it, so AMD didn't really have enough time to shine in the server space to make a huge impact. This time it really looks like Zen will have some staying power and OEM's are getting serious about it too. Epyc 1st gen was a good "proof" product to show that they can build the parts and maintain an ecosystem, and now Zen2/Epyc2 will really be the hard hitter.

Reactions: Markfw