Question Intel Core i9-10920X 12-Core Cascade Lake-X CPU Leaks As AMD Plots November Threadripper Assault

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Wow man not only does most of your stuff not have anything to do with what he posted. Which was that HDET wasn't niche (sorry Mark it is and AMD is making it worse and pushing Intel to do the same).

But no one is saying AMD is going to crush Intel in sales. They won't. Not ever.

But what they can do is put immense pressure on them by taking more and more of a cut of their markets. Specially ones a lucrative as the HDET (for its niche value) and Server. AMD just plainly can't handle one major companies orders let alone all of them. What they can do is sell better products and sell everything they can.

That is what AMD is doing and along that lines. Forwhatever AMD loses in Ryzen. They gain back in Threadripper. They win in Cache, they win in IPC, they the win in power/perf under settings where they aren't pushing clocks purely for clocks (the X lineup in AM4). Threadripper at its small config would already a you put it curb stomp Intel's next HDET lineup. 32 cores, decent clocks specially on the all core level. That's with an already ipc advantage. Then add more IO and then add that IO is PCIe 4.0.

This isn't something we need to see tested. We already have Ryzen and EPYC setting the ground work. Everything that set TR1-2 back is gone. Mem latency compared to Ryzen is gone. Numa is gone. Core to core latency is gone. TR3 outside AMD doing something crazy with clock speeds already has pretty well outlined performance. Same thing with Cascade Lake X. Its SL-X with a little bit higher clocks. Same cores, same mesh config, pretty much the exact same silicon on a refined process with refined fabing. So in this sense its just about awaiting the releases so we have the hard numbers to back it up.

Doesn't mean Intel is dead, doesn't mean they are closing up shop, doesn't mean Intel doesn't sell more of these then AMD sells of Threadripper. Just that these Chips are DOA as far a people who actually track this. The only reason to get a Cascade-Lake X cpu if you know better will be if you already have a x299 system and Intel actually prices their CPU's competitively and you can look at getting a much more competitively priced 12c+. That's assuming that Intel doesn't require a new board even if they keep the chipsets the same. They usually down't support more then 1 refresh on a platform.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
If your response was to me, I was being sarcastic. The OP and subsequent response were nothing more than fanboyism and a hit piece. I'm just surprised by who is participating in it and that it's being allowed.

"We have had a lot of infractions lately and fanboys, insults and the like, and we are NOT going to tolerate it."

I guess you're allowed to insult products and contribute fanboy post as long as you're of the same opinion?

Using terms like fanboys and personal attacks are not allowed in the tech sub-forums.
Please use more discretion in the future if you disagree with posters in a tech thread.

Iron Woode

Super moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Zucker2k

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
If your response was to me, I was being sarcastic. The OP and subsequent response were nothing more than fanboyism and a hit piece. I'm just surprised by who is participating in it and that it's being allowed.

"We have had a lot of infractions lately and fanboys, insults and the like, and we are NOT going to tolerate it."

I guess you're allowed to insult products and contribute fanboy post as long as you're of the same opinion?
These threads about unreleased products are supposed to be about speculation of specs, performance, and position in the market. The fact that the product doesn't have proper position in the market and will be almost immediately usurped by another product is the kind of projection you would expect. Just as any thread talking about Zen 2 there will be constant reminders that the 9900k and the KS will be better gaming CPU's. Or any talk about Bulldozer would lead into discussion on how terrible and slow and poorly thought out it is. Nothing happens in a vacuum. Maybe some are taking it to far by using a little to much hyperbole, but you can't escape the general facts of this product line up.

Reactions: extide

anthrax

Feb 8, 2000
Its good that AMD is releasing competitive products. They undoubtedly offers better value for money now.
From an enthusiast perspective, I suspect you will be able to extract more performance out of a 16 core cascade lake-x 10960x than a 16 core ryzen 9 3950x.
Of course it would require:
- Fast low latency DDR4.
- A good uncore/mesh/cache overclock. >=3200 MHz
- De-lidding + direct die cooling
- A custom water cooling loop with more than one 360 + radiators.

Skylake-x / Cascade Lake X memory latencies bottom out at around low the low 50ns..

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
From an enthusiast perspective, I suspect you will be able to extract more performance out of a 16 core cascade lake-x 10960x than a 16 core ryzen 9 3950x.
- Fast low latency DDR4.

If your doing all that, you might be cheaper getting a more-core part...?

[of course, if your after ST speed, why get a HEDT in the first place - 9900k is where that party is at]

Reactions: scannall

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Its good that AMD is releasing competitive products. They undoubtedly offers better value for money now.
- Fast low latency DDR4.

Skylake-x / Cascade Lake X memory latencies bottom out at around low the low 50ns..
Not sure how much of that is accurate. SL-X and Cascade Lake -X are the same chips. We already saw what SL-X was like. It was a significant hit in IPC to bring in better better and more predictable performance with server and workstation tasks. The mesh on that was almost as slow as gen 1 ryzen and applied to all cores (so no inter CCX boost). Basically Zen 1 and SL-X were on an IPC parity. Fast forward to now.

1. Zen 2 is significantly better in IPC then Zen1
2. Zen 2 eliminates the variable latency and infact through IO communication is actually much quicker then Intel's Mesh and AMD's even CCX to CXX latency.

The only thing that helps out Intel here is that the cache is pool split between 2 stacks of cores to keep the latency lower (doesn't need to talk to another core to retrieve info).

No I am confident in all but memory bandwidth high tasks and only because of the extra memory channels. The 3950x and the 3900x will really run away in all tests. Its gets worse once you add 4 chiplet TR3's in there. You probably end up with similar turbo's and drastically increase all core speeds. It's not going to be pretty.

Reactions: scannall and Markfw