Intel Core i7-8086K 40th Anniversary Edition?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ouch, not for me.

$75 - $100 premium for going from a chip that is 3.7 Ghz base, and 4.7 Ghz boost to one that is 4 Ghz base, and 5 Ghz boost.

Reactions: epsilon84

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Ouch, not for me.

$75 - $100 premium for going from a chip that is 3.7 Ghz base, and 4.7 Ghz boost to one that is 4 Ghz base, and 5 Ghz boost.
Yeah, makes no sense at all! Yet I still want one, just imagining the possibility of hitting 5.3+ on water almost makes it worth it for the fun factor and bragging rights. If I didn't have a really good sample already, it'd be an easy choice. Just like everything, the cost of bleeding edge performance goes exponential near the limits. The price is high, but not particularly out of line. I bet they sell them all.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yeah, makes no sense at all! Yet I still want one, just imagining the possibility of hitting 5.3+ on water almost makes it worth it for the fun factor and bragging rights. If I didn't have a really good sample already, it'd be an easy choice. Just like everything, the cost of bleeding edge performance goes exponential near the limits. The price is high, but not particularly out of line. I bet they sell them all.

I agree, they will sell. Many people chasing the "PC dragon" pay a pretty penny to get better overclocking CPUs from places like Silicon Lottery, so the market is definitely there. I guess when I first started reading the rumors on this anniversary chip, I was expecting something different, or a "wow" factor other than slightly higher speeds.

For a person like me who judges CPUs (or really any component) on $/performance, I'm just not the target audience on this CPU.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
A bit surprised there are no reviews on this cpu, i guess no one cares about it at all.

Brahmzy

Jul 27, 2004
Parts like this are never “worth it”, so if you have to make that justification to yourself and others, you’re not the audience for it. It’s a pretty cheap part - intel could’ve done something dumb like price it at $599 or something, but they didn’t.
Don’t like it? Don’t buy it.

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010
Seems to top out around 5.1-5.2 GHz all core, but that is fantastic imo. No delid or water required.

But the temps are really high when stress testing.

Which is about 100MHz higher than your average non delidded 8700K?

Pretty underwhelmed by this, you're really buying it for the 'name' of having a limited release 8086K, in reality a binned 8700K from SL would probably overclock just as well.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Parts like this are never “worth it”, so if you have to make that justification to yourself and others, you’re not the audience for it. It’s a pretty cheap part - intel could’ve done something dumb like price it at $599 or something, but they didn’t.
Don’t like it? Don’t buy it.

Don't like it? Don't buy it.

I'll be happy with 5.2 all cores @ AVX.

I think you made your position clear. ;)

However, people are allowed to have a different opinion about it. Different strokes for different folks.

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
Seems to top out around 5.1-5.2 GHz all core, but that is fantastic imo. No delid or water required.

But the temps are really high when stress testing.
But I routinely run my8700k at 5GHz. And that's with Linpack + AVX2. $80 for 0.1 GHz?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It seems really cool to me, kind of a collectible, much like AMD's FX-9000 5Ghz chip. Though more memorable, due to the "8086K" name.

I wanted one, just to be cool like you folks. Then I remembered, that this is only a 6-core, and Intel is coming out with an 8-core CFL soon too.

So I see this chip as more like a more-capable G3258, honestly. It's an "Anniversary Edition", which makes it cool and collectable, but it's already on its way to becoming obsolete.

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010
It seems really cool to me, kind of a collectible, much like AMD's FX-9000 5Ghz chip. Though more memorable, due to the "8086K" name.

I wanted one, just to be cool like you folks. Then I remembered, that this is only a 6-core, and Intel is coming out with an 8-core CFL soon too.

So I see this chip as more like a more-capable G3258, honestly. It's an "Anniversary Edition", which makes it cool and collectable, but it's already on its way to becoming obsolete.

Big call calling the 8068K nearing obsolescence, as a previous owner of a G3258 I can't really see the similarities except both being anniversary editions. Would be a long long time until a 8086K struggles in games and MT applications like the G3258 did only a couple of love years after launch

I think close to being 'superceded' would be a better description for the 8086K, as 8C CFL chips are probably only a few months away, but that is the nature of tech, there is always something better around the corner

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
but it's already on its way to becoming obsolete.
I think close to being 'superceded' would be a better description for the 8086K
I guess that I meant, that it's position as "top dog" among Intel consumer CPUs, was rather limited. Perhaps "superceded" is a better term, I agree. But in the computer industry, that's perilously close to "obsolete" as well.

Reactions: Drazick

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I guess that I meant, that it's position as "top dog" among Intel consumer CPUs, was rather limited. Perhaps "superceded" is a better term, I agree. But in the computer industry, that's perilously close to "obsolete" as well.

Exactly. It won't obsolete in a true sense, but something will come along shortly after it, and knock it down a few notches.

Honestly, it will likely be what to people who paid a pretty penny for Skylake X, only to Coffee Lake launch, and spoil the party. This "anniversary" CPU will keep most people happy performance wise, but the people who are most likely to buy this CPU are the enthusiasts, and once something better hits, they'll likely move onto it. A perfect example of this is the user above who is getting rid of their 8700k CPUs to get this. There will be little to no difference in performance, but now that the 8700k isn't the top dog, those chasing the "PC dragon" can't resist. I was that way when I was younger, but thankfully I don't need the "latest and greatest" anymore. But we all have hobbies and interests where we pay to play. :)

Brahmzy

Jul 27, 2004
Exactly. It won't obsolete in a true sense, but something will come along shortly after it, and knock it down a few notches.

Honestly, it will likely be what to people who paid a pretty penny for Skylake X, only to Coffee Lake launch, and spoil the party. This "anniversary" CPU will keep most people happy performance wise, but the people who are most likely to buy this CPU are the enthusiasts, and once something better hits, they'll likely move onto it. A perfect example of this is the user above who is getting rid of their 8700k CPUs to get this. There will be little to no difference in performance, but now that the 8700k isn't the top dog, those chasing the "PC dragon" can't resist. I was that way when I was younger, but thankfully I don't need the "latest and greatest" anymore. But we all have hobbies and interests where we pay to play. :)
I generally don’t need the latest and greatest - too many high-dollar hobbies for that.
But, for whatever reason, I just want these 8086s :). With mainstream 8 cores on the near horizon, they’re already obsolete before they’ve even shipped. I’ll probably go 2-3 gens before another refresh. Who knows.

Reactions: UsandThem

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
They are limited edition, so there is the potential they may keep their market value better than the 8700k I suppose.

Surprised Intel didn't even showcase the 8 core or z390 at computex. They really are having a tough time at the moment. Guilty of being complacent comes to mind.

Mar 10, 2006
Surprised Intel didn't even showcase the 8 core or z390 at computex. They really are having a tough time at the moment. Guilty of being complacent comes to mind.

They told us it was coming:

Our unwavering commitment to delivering the best performance continued as we announced the latest additions to our mobile lineup of the 8th Gen Intel® Core™ processor family: the Whiskey Lake U-series and Amber Lake Y-series, featuring up to double-digit performance gains3 and integrated gigabit Wi-Fi. Expect more than 140 new laptops and 2 in 1s from OEMs starting this fall. And for desktop, by the end of this year, we’re delivering a new X-series release and the next Intel® Core™ S-series processor.

They're not going to show it off too much though when they want people to buy the 8086K that they just announced :)

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
They are limited edition, so there is the potential they may keep their market value better than the 8700k I suppose.

I'm pretty sure it will, but... how much better?

the 8086K only feels special in name, a small clock bump is not really enough I think...

the G3258 felt more special, since it was the only unlocked pentium and dual core at the time.

Reactions: IEC and epsilon84