Intel "Coffee Lake" Builders Thread

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've given up for now due to lack of stock. Disappointed.
Ryzen time? If prices fall some? Could it hit a sweet-spot for price/performance again?

This is the coffee lake builders thread. Not ryzen

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Drazick

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Ryzen time? If prices fall some? Could it hit a sweet-spot for price/performance again?
@indydude345 had his B350 board go tits up, so I sold him my X370 Taichi out of my main rig to get him going again. So I actually threw one of my old DC rigs, an X79, up on my desk to use as a main system for a while, hoping that CFL becomes available soon. I'm getting a cheaper mobo to put the 1700X into, it will become a DC rig soon.

Sorry for the OT, gents, the take-away is that I am still holding out for an 8700K.

Last edited:
Reactions: indydude345

Chrisch

Dec 18, 2016
its a custom watercooling (heatkiller iv, 480 radiator, laing d5) :)

i only removed the intel tim and use liquidmetal instead.

Reactions: Crono

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I still have not bought a motherboard yet,I just cant decide if I want to do Mini itx or go all out on a full ATX rig. Kinda eyeing up that Gigabyte Gaming 7 Motherboard.What do you guys think, what will be the go to board this time around.
The Gigabyte board is so expensive and I am a bit worried it will be a waste of money.I generally stick to a rule of no motherboards above $150.00 but this one is $250.00.

Mar 10, 2006
I still have not bought a motherboard yet,I just cant decide if I want to do Mini itx or go all out on a full ATX rig. Kinda eyeing up that Gigabyte Gaming 7 Motherboard.What do you guys think, what will be the go to board this time around.
The Gigabyte board is so expensive and I am a bit worried it will be a waste of money.I generally stick to a rule of no motherboards above $150.00 but this one is $250.00.

What factors of the platform are most important to you?

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Possibility of dropping in a 8c/16t and it being compatible. Having a Gpu and not having PCIe lanes taken away from adding more then 1 m.2 drive. the ability to overclock to say 5ghz for 24/7 use.Having good bios update support and not having to wait months on end for a fix to this or that if need be. And some thing that is not going to just catch on fire because of overheated VRM's!! That should just about cover it LOL, I know I am asking for a lot maybe even a miracle but that is what I most want.

Edit: Crap also forgot to mention I do huge media file swap transfers from one drive to another for hours on end and would like a motherboard with good thru-put that wont crap out on me while in the middle of a file transfer.

Last edited:

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010
What RAM are you guys planning to use with your builds?

Most reviews I see use DDR4-3200 but with kits up to DDR4-4600 I'm wondering how much "untapped" performance is available by using faster RAM? Can CFL even run RAM at such speeds? You would think so otherwise why would they be on the market?

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010

I'd go Ryzen. More mature platform and you actually can upgrade to their next generation with AM4.

Possibility of dropping in a 8c/16t and it being compatible. Having a Gpu and not having PCIe lanes taken away from adding more then 1 m.2 drive. the ability to overclock to say 5ghz for 24/7 use.Having good bios update support and not having to wait months on end for a fix to this or that if need be. And some thing that is not going to just catch on fire because of overheated VRM's!! That should just about cover it LOL, I know I am asking for a lot maybe even a miracle but that is what I most want.

Edit: Crap also forgot to mention I do huge media file swap transfers from one drive to another for hours on end and would like a motherboard with good thru-put that wont crap out on me while in the middle of a file transfer.

Intel is now on the "third" generation of the exact same architecture and yet somehow on the third motherboard chipset. There is no way in hell you are ever getting 8-cores on this platform. Its insane they changed pinout on 1151 just to force motherboard upgrades.

This is the coffee lake builders thread. Not ryzen

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Drazick

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011

Most reviews I see use DDR4-3200 but with kits up to DDR4-4600 I'm wondering how much "untapped" performance is available by using faster RAM? Can CFL even run RAM at such speeds? You would think so otherwise why would they be on the market?

With bios updates CFL should be able to run the very fastest kits as they become available over the next year or two. You'll only see noticeable performance increases going from 3200 to 4600 if you're using a fairly high end GPU, 1080 or faster. For those of us on 1080tis faster ram will show increases for CFL. I'll be running some 4133 I already have.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005

RAM speed is largely dictated by the motherboard's ability to OC memory - the IMC on the coffee lake seems quite strong so shouldn't be the limiting factor. The Hero tops out at 4000Mhz - the Apex should be able to exceed this, but i doubt it'd reliably hit 4600Mhz under normal conditions (i.e. not LN2).

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
I'd go Ryzen. More mature platform and you actually can upgrade to their next generation with AM4.

Intel is now on the "third" generation of the exact same architecture and yet somehow on the third motherboard chipset. There is no way in hell you are ever getting 8-cores on this platform. Its insane they changed pinout on 1151 just to force motherboard upgrades.

Pure speculation. Intel may have changed the pinout specifically for upcoming 8 cores. Nobody but Intel knows at this point.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Hi RichUK, nice 8700K :)

got today a 8600K, here a preview before and after delidding ;)

Regards
Chris

Very nice voltage and temp drop!

I'm 6 hours prime stable at 5Ghz / 1.28v with temps around 80c (not delidded yet - need to find the time!).

Edit - just noticed you're running the latest version of Prime, so AVX at 5Ghz? Nice.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Guys, you think I should just give up and cancel my back ordered 8700k and try another go at Ryzen? I mean I could get another 1800x and hope it doesnt have the Linux bug this time around. Or should I just stick to my guns and hold out for my back order?I am so confused at this point I just dont know what to do.

Mar 10, 2006
Guys, you think I should just give up and cancel my back ordered 8700k and try another go at Ryzen? I mean I could get another 1800x and hope it doesnt have the Linux bug this time around. Or should I just stick to my guns and hold out for my back order?I am so confused at this point I just dont know what to do.

If it were my money, I'd go with Coffee Lake (which is what I did, I have a CFL on backorder). Much better single thread performance, comparable multi-core performance.

Reactions: TheF34RChannel

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005

I recommend you buy my old 7700k.

dbrons

May 28, 2001
also forgot to mention I do huge media file swap transfers from one drive to another for hours on end and would like a motherboard with good thru-put that wont crap out on me while in the middle of a file transfer.

Me too. I'm planning on using my current system as storage for media. I'm looking forward to seeing how Thunderbolt 3 can be utilized in my network.
Dave (iv'e got an 8700k on order so probably a couple months to decide on a board)

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
If you don't be patient and wait, you are probably always going to wish you did.

Reactions: Phynaz