Intel "Coffee Lake" Builders Thread

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
P95 uses avx, right? Why not offsetting AVX even more? Is P95 small FFTs even representative of actual real world workloads?

V26.6 is non-avx. 27 and 28 use avx / fma3 which hammers the CPU.

I use 26.6 as non of the apps I run use AVX.

I had an OC on my 7700k that failed P95 V26.6 - the same OC also crashed in Battlefield 1 occasionally. An OC that passed P95 (more voltage) also never saw a crash in BF1.

So it is a worthwhile stability test in my opinion.

Reactions: coercitiv

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
AS5. Don't forget i'm using Prime 95 Small FFTs, so it'll be producing max temps.

Here is 5.2 when running Intel Burn Test:

aPgK7u6.jpg
The burn test speed looks kinda low? I think my 4790K had much better numbers than that? My 1231 V3 was around 100 with 4 cores at 3.8.

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
So aftr ordering my motherboard yesterday somehow someone got ahold of my credit card info and started making purchases. had to cancel the card and give newegg another one so my order wont get canceled when they get it in.

Anyway i also asked the rep about the i7 8700k he said they might get a shipment in about a week.
CDW said they expect to get some in about 2 weeks

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Looks like it's time to delid!

Prime95 v26.6 Small FFTs for 10 mins - 5.1Ghz @ 1.376v (no throttle, just):
Wow, temps in the 90's. Yeah, dellid that sucka! Took more volts to be stable for small FFTs. I've always used OCCT's native stability test for overclock safety, then I back off 100-200 MHz. I guess using small FFTs, you don't have to back off once you find a solid overclock. So long as I get 4.8 GHz or better, I'll be very happy - by the looks of things, that should be easy.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Guys, who was it?
Cmon admit it! :p

GHqTkY.jpg
LOL yeah I seen these posted as well. I have been watching them since this morning. ;) Dont worry though I am not that hard up this time around. Remember the Ryzen launch and the Asus Hero VI that I paid $600.00 for on ebay that ended up auto bricking. screw that, never again. If anything that whole situation taught me some patients.

Reactions: Crono

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I am probably going to delid this one. I have experience doing it before with my 3770k, but didn't with my 6700k. It seems that things have come a long way since then with tools and such. I just did mine with a razor blade and an awful lot of patience back then. I just remember being one of the guinea pigs that learned that NT-H1 is not a suitable material to use between the die and the heat spreader. That was a huge pain, every 3-4 months it would magically stop cooling correctly.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Watched about 10 different 8700K and 8400 reviews. I didn't realize the ASRock boards support BCLK overclocking, even apparently for non-K chips.

Link or it didn't happen.

These days BCLK OC is limited to around 3% on non K. So you can run base clock at 103 MHz instead of 100 MHz.

Sep 26, 2017
Nope I didn't manage to snag a 8700k from newegg, but the good news is they sent me an email last night saying that I am getting a back order 8700k.Wonder just how long I will have to wait?If its anything longer then a month and a half I will just cancel.Perhaps I should get a i3 8100 for now to hold me over or should I just hold my horses and wait it out?

Anyone else that backordered get an email from Newegg?

Reactions: Justinbaileyman

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Anyone else that backordered get an email from Newegg?
I didnt originally back order, I actually purchased the CPU one day ahead of launch through newegg and thought they canceled the order on me due to the cancel email they originally sent, but they change it from purchase/cancel to back order.. Guess the purchase actually went through but they ran out of stock. :( thats my best guess anyways??

Sep 26, 2017
I didnt originally back order, I actually purchased the CPU one day ahead of launch through newegg and thought they canceled the order on me due to the cancel email they originally sent, but they change it from purchase/cancel to back order.. Guess the purchase actually went through but they ran out of stock. :( thats my best guess anyways??

Oh gotcha. I hope somehow they score another shipment sooner than 2 weeks. Or worse, the end of the month or later..

Actually, just saw this https://segmentnext.com/2017/10/06/intel-i7-8700k-backorders-october/

Who knows if it's accurate. Sorry if that's been posted already - didn't take a second to look back through the thread b/c I'm on my phone.

Last edited:

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
They mention the feature, is there anything actually demonstrating it working?

I wouldn't purchase a board based on BCLK OC; it will be short lived. Intel will step in like before and put and end to it. If one wants to OC, buy a K CPU.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
Oh gotcha. I hope somehow they score another shipment sooner than 2 weeks. Or worse, the end of the month or later..

Actually, just saw this https://segmentnext.com/2017/10/06/intel-i7-8700k-backorders-october/

Who knows if it's accurate. Sorry if that's been posted already - didn't take a second to look back through the thread b/c I'm on my phone.

I have someone checking actual availability dates for me but they do take and ship out pre-orders based on purchase order. On the fence whether or not to pre-order now, because I don't really see the price coming down - quite the opposite. Whatever I do, I would 't be able to get the Apex board right away; according to the Asus slide it was supposed to be out now but it isn't?

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
I wouldn't purchase a board based on BCLK OC; it will be short lived. Intel will step in like before and put and end to it. If one wants to OC, buy a K CPU.

If you already have the board and don't a need a Bios update it wouldn't get stopped. But I agree, Intel will probably lean on Asrock to remove the feature.

But I wasn't going to rush out and get a board. I was just curious to see how well it worked.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017