Intel Chips With “Vega Inside” Coming Soon?

csbin

Feb 4, 2013
https://nasilemaktech.com/2017/10/09/intel-chips-vega-inside/

There’s apparently an image floating around that there is an Intel chip with Vega graphics inside. Yes – that AMD Vega. There’s this little blurry image that makes out the word “VEGA INSIDE”, referencing Intel’s iconic whatever-Inside phrase.

There were rumors that Intel is indeed working with AMD to have Radeon graphics integrated into Intel’s chips, as a replacement for their iGPUs. We do not have any other information about it, but now we have the slightest amount of information available.

Intel VEGA INSIDEFor all we can tell from this image, the Intel chips with “Vega Inside” is presumably for mobile. Other parts of the image are just too small to be seen.

Intel-VEGA-INSIDE.png

w5qCbkO.jpg

Intel-NUC-Roadmap-2018-2019.png

Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Photo-chop & fake, also website is very suspect, likely doing it for views. I believe this has already been debunked.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4074249-intel-finally-lays-bare-amd-fake-news-machine

Is Licensing involved here? Intel would just be buying Vega (probably Vega 11) dies and integrating into a PCB right? This is what AMD's AIB partners do as well. (EDIT: The AIB's don't buy bare dies, AMD sells the GPU die, and some other electronics attached to a small PCB.)

P.S. Sweeper did find the following back on Jun 16th:

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...s-out-page-554.2428363/page-490#post-38940781

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2006
Is Licensing involved here? Intel would just be buying Vega (probably Vega 11) dies and integrating into a PCB right? This is what AMD's AIB partners do as well.

Yeah, there's no way such a product would be a monolithic die, IMO. It would be an MCM.

Reactions: cbn

Beer4Me

Mar 16, 2011
As an AMD shareholder, I'd like nothing more than to see this, but it won't be happening. At most we could hope for is mobile Vega discreet graphics alongside mobile Intel CPUs. Plus Arach makes a good argument that the die would just be too massive due to Vega's size.

Edit: Are you implying that Intel, themselves, would become an AIB of AMD? LOL, not happening in a million years.

Reactions: Drazick

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
As an AMD shareholder, I'd like nothing more than to see this, but it won't be happening. At most we could hope for is mobile Vega discreet graphics alongside mobile Intel CPUs. Plus Arach makes a good argument that the die would just be too massive due to Vega's size.

Edit: Are you implying that Intel, themselves, would become an AIB of AMD? LOL, not happening in a million years.
Even if AMD would get a deal with Intel to manufacture in their fabs, their own products, and help Intel to get money stream?

Mar 10, 2006
Even if AMD would get a deal with Intel to manufacture in their fabs, their own products, and help Intel to get money stream?

I don't think that would be the case. I think it would be a simple case of, "Here are some Vega dies, Intel, for integration into your SoC."

It would be just like AMD selling a discrete GPU to a PC OEM, but in this case, it's Intel.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Few questions. Is this SOC Apple Only, or this Team-Up solution will be available somewhere else?

If those products will be available to customers - sign me up for one!

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
I don't think that would be the case. I think it would be a simple case of, "Here are some Vega dies, Intel, for integration into your SoC."

It would be just like AMD selling a discrete GPU to a PC OEM, but in this case, it's Intel.

Yes. AMD will not give Intel access to their GPU design in any form. They will sell finished GPU dies for MCM packaging on their mainstream Core SoC.

Reactions: Gikaseixas

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
It wouldn't surprise me if this were just a poster made by AMD for internal use to promote upcoming Ryzen APUs, poking fun at Intel by using their font/color scheme. There are frequent jokes, nods, and spoofs within the PR/retail channel that are never intended to be used outside of training or company events.

Then again, those are definitely Intel NUCs in the poster to the left. Too little information to determine if #fakenews or not.

Mar 10, 2006
It wouldn't surprise me if this were just a poster made by AMD for internal use to promote upcoming Ryzen APUs, poking fun at Intel by using their font/color scheme. There are frequent jokes, nods, and spoofs within the PR/retail channel that are never intended to be used outside of training or company events.

Then again, those are definitely Intel NUCs in the poster to the left. Too little information to determine if #fakenews or not.

Wow, this is actually a really sharp explanation. I didn't even think of that.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Fake news. Both AMD and Intel have shot this rumor down. It would make no sense at all for AMD to license Vega, with Raven Ridge being a direct competitor.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
And If I am not mistaken it specifically says: "KBL-H + dGPU".

Jan Olšan

Jan 12, 2017
Kaby Lake-G's existence was never denied by anybody, much less debunked. Just saying :p.
Naturally it might still get cancelled from the roadmap, given how many products is Intel currently re-evaluating and so on. But we'll see in Q2 2017, you'll likely be surprised.

Edit: right, in Q2 2018, sorry for the mistake.

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Kaby Lake-G's existence was never denied by anybody, much less debunked. Just saying :p.
Naturally it might still get cancelled from the roadmap, given how many products is Intel currently re-evaluating and so on. But we'll see in Q2 2017, you'll likely be surprised.
Q2 2018, of course.

The roadmap says +dgfx. It has always said that.

Which means "discrete graphics card" to me.

Why should I believe it means something else?

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
This is fake. There is zero chance of this happening, ever.

1) what advantage would using intel cores give to an AMD APU over Ryzen cores, especially considering the Ryzen cores use less power?

2) why would AMD want to help sell intel CPUs?

3) why would intel want to help sell AMD GPUs?

4) how would you even combine the two on a monolithic die?

I am amazed to see more knowledgable posters here even entertain this as an idea. It is an insult to both Intel and AMD to suggest that either would need the other's help to create an APU. It is an insult to every person on this forum's intelligence that this thread even exists.

Jan Olšan

Jan 12, 2017
4) how would you even combine the two on a monolithic die?

Well, the details of course aren't known, but I'd hazard a guess that it is a discrete GPU + HBM soldered on the Intel CPU's substrate, communicating over PCIe just as any discrete GPU. I think this is what BenchLife.info suggested back then.

2) why would AMD want to help sell intel CPUs?

3) why would intel want to help sell AMD GPUs?

Well, who knows what are all the motivations, but IMHO in their view it is equal to a situation where they separately sell a GPU and a CPU into a notebook or NUC-like box.
- Intel doesn't do discrete GPU, so such PC will have some discrete GPU installed anyway. If it actually packages and resells that GPU, it at least gets some incremental margin from it.
- From AMD's point of view, they probably see it as an equivalent of Radeon design win in an Intel-based notebook. They just sell the GPU to Intel instead of the notebook OEM. Naturally you could argue that they should push for Ryzen + Radeon instead, but maybe they did some analysis and the prediction was that they might sell more stuff in total, all things considered, if they enable this Kaby Lake-G thing for Intel. Maybe they want this because it could bypass Nvidia and knock its GPUs out of some notebook deals.