Intel Chips With “Vega Inside” Coming Soon?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rainy

Jul 17, 2013
Most people on this forum were wrong about this because it is an obviously boneheaded move for AMD to make. This product will vastly outperform raven ridge and make it look like a budget solution. It will give intel a huge amount of credibility in the notebook market. The only possible good things for AMD are more revenue and a reduction in nvidia notebook gpu marketshare.

Quite obviously, you do not understand that this Intel+AMD combo would be solution for expensive/very expensive laptops and and will not affect Raven Ridge sales.

Btw, this is like saying that graphic cards for 400-500 dollars or even more are in the same league as those in 200-300 dollars range.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Raven Ridge is aimed at 15W SoCs, a market segment this will never compete in. Consider this- Apple could have a lineup with Raven Ridge in 13" MBP, and still have this part reserved for the 15" MBP.

It could, but IMO, this part only makes it more likely that Apple sticks with Intel CPUs.

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
Where do you find Respect steak sauce? I looked at my local grocer but didn't see it, is it better than A1, is it specifically made for crow?

:expressionless:
Looks like its sold out everywhere. This is what I actually (not joking) use on a daily basis:
HH316.jpg

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
What's the preferred brand of steak sauce for this crow I need to eat?
Is the seat next to you taken? Need a taste of what you're having. :meatbone:

Just got home and haven't had the time to properly get up to date, but I saw the Ars Technica article on my way back, so I knew it was happening. This type of crow I would eat any time of the year, it's very interesting tech and makes me look forward to 2018 even when compared with the 2017 CPU storm.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Raven Ridge is aimed at 15W SoCs, a market segment this will never compete in. Consider this- Apple could have a lineup with Raven Ridge in 13" MBP, and still have this part reserved for the 15" MBP.

I understand that this product is not meant to compete with raven ridge. I think that was the logic behind AMD releasing it - they believe they can still sell raven ridge and do well while also getting revenue from this niche deal and simultaneously take notebook marketshare from nvidia. They may be right.

However, I believe that customer and OEM "mindshare" will be negatively affected by this deal. I believe this deal furthers the perception that AMD is a "budget" brand while simultaneously furthering the perception that intel is the "premium" x86 brand for notebooks. This will hurt sales of raven ridge and future products in ways that cannot be quantified, and that is why I am adjusting my positions.

It's not about whether this product necessarily competes directly with AMD products, it's all about customer perception and mindshare. AMD doesn't need the revenue as much as they need to create the perception that their products are as good or better than intel's. This completely works against that goal.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
It could, but IMO, this part only makes it more likely that Apple sticks with Intel CPUs.
On the other hand, they might be consolidating on RTG graphics and associated drivers across the board. CPUs are easy, the GPU is where the real software work takes place.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
On the other hand, they might be consolidating on RTG graphics and associated drivers across the board. CPUs are easy, the GPU is where the real software work takes place.

This part still uses the intel iGPU in low power situations, so it is not a step in that direction over what they already have.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Agree. Packaging is key for a few years forward and Intel is superior here but aside from that the future belongs to the software. Nv is in front so this and the consoles is vital for amd to have a good position.
Both amd and intel wins short term because there must be a profitable market for this.
Medium term Intel brand is strengthening because the performance is a huge uplift for them.
Long term rtg presense and software development seems to be in a far better proposition.

Reactions: stockolicious

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
This part still uses the intel iGPU in low power situations, so it is not a step in that direction over what they already have.
Nonsense. Who cares what drives the non gaming. Been solid for tens of years. Makes no difference.

Maddie was right when you discussed this a month ago. He is right now.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Nonsense. Who cares what drives the non gaming. Been solid for tens of years. Makes no difference.

Maddie was right when you discussed this a month ago. He is right now.

This changes nothing from the driver perspective.

This is still an Intel iGPU part plus dGPU. It still requires GPU drivers for both Intel and AMD GPUs.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
This changes nothing from the driver perspective.

This is still an Intel iGPU part plus dGPU. It still requires GPU drivers for both Intel and AMD GPUs.
Yes but the driver cost is associated with the dgpu part so to speak. So will future profit.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Yes but the driver cost is associated with the dgpu part so to speak. So will future profit.

You are not making sense. It still uses both parts, it still needs both drivers. Nothing changes.

Improved packaging, just means less power, and less board space.

Nothing on the SW side.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
So it isn't the end of Intel IGP development then? Intel's IGP still has a firm spot in the lineup.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
So it isn't the end of Intel IGP development then? Intel's IGP still has a firm spot in the lineup.
If you consider driving a desktop environment as being highly relevant.

Remember the old days of graphics chips when testing for 2D work were still being done? I wonder why we no longer see this?

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
I think it's a win for everyone, Intel, AMD, Apple and whoever else, especially us.. Mind boggling to think that competing engineers (and corporate) from both sides, can agree to do this.. for the greater good?
Mind boggling..

Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades :cool:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

It could be, but it doesn't have to be. Intel could use a GPU tile for mainstream, but for gamer-focused processors use an RTG tile (or nVidia, or someone else).

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I think it's a win for everyone, Intel, AMD, Apple and whoever else, especially us.. Mind boggling to think that competing engineers (and corporate) from both sides, can agree to do this.. for the greater good?

Outsiders like us believe that companies act as a single entity, and most of the time its true. But really it comprises of many different individuals, each with their own dreams, aspirations, and goals.

Two reasons for why otherwise competing companies cooperate with each other.
-Company politics(derived from internal strife)
-Greater threat

CatMerc

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2016
No. Both GPUs have EXACTLY the same performance level in games. Radeon Pro 555, with 768 GCN cores, and around 900 MHz core clock, and GTX 1050 Ti with 768 CUDA cores with 900 MHz will perform exactly the same in games.

My company and I have tested it months ago, with Radeon Pro 455 from 2016 MacBook Pro 15 inch(which is the same as Radeon Pro 555), and GTX 1050 Ti, declocked to that level. And GTX 1050 Ti in Overwatch 1080 p was faster just by 3 FPS. In rest of games they were divided by 1 FPS, one way or another for any of the GPUs.

Core for core, clock for clock between the GPUs there is no difference between vendors. Nvidia just has higher clock speeds.
Sadly GCN doesn't scale up well. The core for core and clock for clock comparison doesn't work with the larger products.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Sadly GCN doesn't scale up well. The core for core and clock for clock comparison doesn't work with the larger products.

Very true. AMD Vega 10 with 4096 sp struggles to beat a GTX 1080 with 2560 shaders.