Intel CEO confirms first dGPUs in 2020

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
So the consensus is that it won't play Crysis?

Bummer.

That's right. Joking aside though, I genuinely expect this thing to absolutely suck in the most fantastic way a GPU could ever suck. It will have no place at all in the enthusiast household. I'm keeping this damn thing as far away from my family as possible.
I have children, and by having such a GPU present in ANY computer at all, I'm telling my kids the following exactly, "Children, being weak and lame is OK. Embrace mediocrity, its totally fine".
I will do no such thing.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Even if they get the hardware done right, and thats a huge if. They have shown absolutely no signs of ever putting in the effort into drivers to actually get any of their hardware to work with most games. Intel by a huge margin has the worst drivers of any IGP/Discreet GPU maker.

So who cares, you wont be able to play games on it anyways even if in theory the hardware is good enough.

Reactions: xpea

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Even if they get the hardware done right, and thats a huge if. They have shown absolutely no signs of ever putting in the effort into drivers to actually get any of their hardware to work with most games. Intel by a huge margin has the worst drivers of any IGP/Discreet GPU maker.

So who cares, you wont be able to play games on it anyways even if in theory the hardware is good enough.

You are not wrong, but how much effort should they put, since the bulk of their igpus run like crap anyway?

I mean if Youtube and Facebook work, the drivers are fine.

I'm pretty sure if the hardware gets up to par, the drivers will too.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I don't game, so I find reasonably recent Intel IGPs perfectly good for everything I do.

Can't recall one ever running "like crap".

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
As others have said software will be an issue and I don't only mean drivers. We can all agree that this is also a push into compute, graphics unrelated. Well the compute market is dominated by nvidia and cuda. If you look around most software that supports some form of gpgpu requires cuda and hence an nv gpu. So like AMDs HIP intel would need to provide a cross-compiler from cuda to whatever they will use and we see how well that has been working fro AMD so far (not very well).

With drivers i see the issue in added features like adaptivesync / gsync and such. It's one thing to "underperform" but if you also lack important features even a low price might not be enough to sell the product.

EDIT;

And current Intel iGPUs aren't very efficient space and power wise so just reusing it and scaling up will not work without some serious redesign.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
I think it's great that Intel is entering the discreet GPU market. However I do have some concerns. Do we really think Raja can design something to compete with nVidia after what he just did with Vega? Fine, he's saying that AMD pulled away two thirds of his engineering resources, but still, Vega was a real turkey. Also, Intel has the absolute worst GPU drivers. They really have their work cut out for them. I'm sure Volta is going to be amazing, and there are rumors of a 7nm nVidia refresh in 2019.

My prediction is that Intel will wind up with some very nice integrated graphics for their CPUs to the point that it will take a big chunk out of nVidia's current market. However I would be completely shocked to see them even come close to nVidia at the high end.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
As others have said software will be an issue and I don't only mean drivers. We can all agree that this is also a push into compute, graphics unrelated. Well the compute market is dominated by nvidia and cuda. If you look around most software that supports some form of gpgpu requires cuda and hence an nv gpu. So like AMDs HIP intel would need to provide a cross-compiler from cuda to whatever they will use and we see how well that has been working fro AMD so far (not very well).

With drivers i see the issue in added features like adaptivesync / gsync and such. It's one thing to "underperform" but if you also lack important features even a low price might not be enough to sell the product.

EDIT;

And current Intel iGPUs aren't very efficient space and power wise so just reusing it and scaling up will not work without some serious redesign.
IIRC, Intel has been talking about adaptive sync for a while, so I expect we will see it.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You are not wrong, but how much effort should they put, since the bulk of their igpus run like crap anyway?

I mean if Youtube and Facebook work, the drivers are fine.

I'm pretty sure if the hardware gets up to par, the drivers will too.

You's think that, but the I740 was a total disaster. I dont forsee them doing any better than that this time around.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i740 was 20 years ago.

Larrabee is a more recent effort.

Larrabee also never made it to market so id be hesitant to call it an effort. If anything though this proves my point that intel doesnt know what they are doing when it comes to Discreet GPU.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I found the Wiki piece on Larrabee quite interesting, though.

The i740, not so much.

Even Larrabee is now ~10 years distant.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
You's think that, but the I740 was a total disaster. I dont forsee them doing any better than that this time around.
Well Intel does have the resources to produce a decent dGPU with good drivers but it just a matter of willingness to take the effort and commit those resources to do so.