Intel Broadwell Thread

Page 100 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Performance is lower in a vast majority of CPU-bound tasks even than an i3 of equivalent price. If you're going to go with a discrete GPU anyway, why opt for Kaveri when an i3 offers better CPU performance at a lower price, while using less power and offering an upgrade path?
And why an i3 if with a G3258 with a good OC outclasses all of them?
And the games won't use a Quad Core until at least 2 years.

Btw..The i7 is crap, but the i5 seems to be Godly.

And if Broadwell is that powerful, Skylake definately would end the APU and the sub GTX980 cards and send then to the netherworld

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Some CB11.5 64-bit results:

5775_CBM_Chart.jpg

5775_CBS_Chart.jpg

Faster than Core i7 4770K despite the ~6% clock deficit. If this thing hits >4GHz 24/7 then it will outclass most Core i7 4790K out there.

Dave2150

Jan 20, 2015
And why an i3 if with a G3258 with a good OC outclasses all of them?
And the games won't use a Quad Core until at least 2 years.

And if Broadwell is that powerful, Skylake definately would end the APU and the sub GTX980 cards and send then to the netherworld

I3'S and the G3258 (even at 4.5Ghz) run modern AAA titles like GTA terribly. Quad-cores are already needed to run modern games smoothly, assuming you want high resolution.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Rough extrapolations indicate Broadwell is 7% faster clock-for-clock in CB 11.5, which is a bit more than I expected.

Aug 11, 2008
Some CB11.5 64-bit results:

5775_CBM_Chart.jpg

5775_CBS_Chart.jpg

Faster than Core i7 4770K despite the ~6% clock deficit. If this thing hits >4GHz 24/7 then it will outclass most Core i7 4790K out there.

I hate graphs that are not drawn to scale, especially when they dont show any numbers on the axis. Those graphs at first glance make it look like 4790k is twice as fast as 4770k!!!

But yea, those results look pretty good for BW. But I have a feeling that the extra cache is coming into play.

Just a random thought, but if DX12 allows games to offload some functions to the igpu, a chip like this could be killer. Great cpu and the best igpu available at only a marginal increase in cost over the normal chip. But considering the minimal effort that seems to go into most ports these days, I doubt the devs will utilize it. "Intelworks" anyone???

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Was wondering if the iGPU could be utilized for some chores especially if a dGPU is in use, leaving the iGPU with essentially nothing to do. Before it didn't really matter because the Intel iGPUs were pretty pathetic, but these look like they could get some stuff done.

Intelworks, lol. Maybe something like that, or an addition to DirectX would be more likely.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Was wondering if the iGPU could be utilized for some chores especially if a dGPU is in use, leaving the iGPU with essentially nothing to do. Before it didn't really matter because the Intel iGPUs were pretty pathetic, but these look like they could get some stuff done.

Intelworks, lol. Maybe something like that, or an addition to DirectX would be more likely.

Gen8 is supposed to change a lot of things when it comes to the value of Intel's iGPUs:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/541722

Anyone able to use OpenCL 2.0 should be capable of utilizing the iGPU for compute tasks without any memcopy overhead. I'm not sure if the Intel graphics drivers have full support for that in Windows yet, but if they do, that could be a killer app for these chips.

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
I thought the consensus was that i7's are better binned for more overclocking. True? Broadwell seems to be interesting only 1. if you already have a -97 mb, and 2. you want to overclock it.

JM Popaleetus

Oct 1, 2010
heatware.com

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
New review:

Intel_Broadwell_diags2.png

Intel_Broadwell_diags8.png

Intel_Broadwell_diags9.png

Intel_Broadwell_diags10.png

They did a dGPU gaming performance comparison between Core i7 5775C and Core i7 4790K. Lower-clocked 3.3-3.7GHz Broadwell-K trade blows with Devil's Canyon 4.0-4.4GHz, winning some and losing some tests. Sadly no OCing results.

There's some some new iGPU gaming results, I'm sure this one will satisfy certain people who called AnandTech and Tom's Hardware reviews biased because they tested at 720p. :)

Intel_Broadwell_int_diags5.png

Intel_Broadwell_int_diags6.png

Intel_Broadwell_int_diags8.png

Intel_Broadwell_int_diags9.png

http://itc.ua/articles/14-nanometrov-dlya-nastolnyih-pk-obzor-protsessora-intel-core-i7-5775c

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
New review:

They did a dGPU gaming performance comparison between Core i7 5775C and Core i7 4790K. Lower-clocked 3.3-3.7GHz Broadwell-K trade blows with Devil's Canyon 4.0-4.4GHz, winning some and losing some tests. Sadly no OCing results.

There's some some new iGPU gaming results, I'm sure this one will satisfy certain people who called AnandTech and Tom's Hardware reviews biased because they tested at 720p. :)

http://www.google.fr/url?source=img...8wc4Cw&usg=AFQjCNH7RGKDNKbjkFF2-MVMTuZJ_pfYaw

Intel_Broadwell_int_diags8.png

Intel_Broadwell_int_diags9.png

http://itc.ua/articles/14-nanometrov-dlya-nastolnyih-pk-obzor-protsessora-intel-core-i7-5775c

They were careful to not test the 7850K with 3 games, that s an all intel comparison once the numbers could be annoying, but apparently it s satisfying for some..

At the end thoses subsided reviews, like the THG one, are just jokes although the latter still managed to point that AT s review power comsumption numbers are random, that s even more funny that one paid site stand corrected by another surely subsided review.

67W with games at THG and 50W with AVX loading at AT, lol....

Last edited:

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Nobody including Haswell HD5200 in the reviews to compare it against Broadwell HD6200, that's a shame.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Roughly twice as fast compared to Haswell GT2. There is a 3dmark 11 result finally (3057).

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
They were careful to not test the 7850K with 3 games, that s an all intel comparison once the numbers could be annoying, but apparently it s satisfying for some..

Is it so hard to admit that AMD was outclassed at their own game? It will only get worse with Skylake GT4e. :(

At the end thoses subsided reviews, like the THG one, are just jokes although the latter still managed to point that AT s review power comsumption numbers are random, that s even more funny that one paid site stand corrected by another surely subsided review.

Either that or your talk about Broadwell delivering inferior perf/watt than Haswell is plain bullshit. I pick the second option.
Less than 10% slower than Core i7 4790K CPU-wise at much lower power. So much for your fail Notebookcheck comparisons and voltage curves. :p

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph9320/67026.png
http://media.bestofmicro.com/S/6/497382/original/08-Power-Consumption-Total-Torture.png

No AMD desktop chip comes close to delivering Broadwell-K's combined CPU+iGPU performance at that power level. Don't worry, you can still argue about the price difference.

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013

So, what do you think about the fact that these CPUs work fine in 9-series boards after you worked so hard to spread the rumor that they wouldn't?

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Either that or your talk about Broadwell delivering inferior perf/watt than Haswell is plain bullshit. I pick the second option.

Indeed picking BS is your specialty, as well as perpetual ad hominem and obvious lies.

Find the quote where i m supposed to say so or else i report you as using lies to deffame people and thread crapping (of your own thread!!) since you re using fabricated claims..

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Find the quote where i m supposed to say so or else i report you as using lies to deffame people and thread crapping (of your own thread!!) since you re using fabricated claims..

I'm sure I can find more:

With the same TDP it has lower perfs, the two exemples above HW is consuming up to 24W while BDW is close to 29W, that is at SoC level.

And both are supposed to be 15W chips...

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37138795&postcount=1692

My post was clear, at a said frequency power will increase as the square of the voltage ratio, at 2.9 HW need 0.976V while BDW ask for 1.110V, the ratio is 1.127 and the square of this ratio is 1.27, as said at equal parasistic capacitances it will yield 27% higher TDP and it s very unlikely that parasistic capacitance was that reduced because reducing the distances between conductors in one hand and transistors terminals on the other hand will increase thoses capacitances, capacitances between conductors are proportional to the distance, the closer the conductors the more the capacitance.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=37190202&highlight=#post37190202

That was the theory, in practice it s 30%, at least, less efficient than their 22nm.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=36983664&postcount=1237

That s my opinion that BDW can be a little better when idling but once you load the things HW will be more efficient.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37190325&postcount=1870

Last edited:

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Less than 10% slower than Core i7 4790K CPU-wise at much lower power. So much for your fail Notebookcheck comparisons and voltage curves.
The examples from Notebookcheck are still valid. They were not meant to prove that BW uses more power than HW, but rather that voltage/frequency slope is a bit steeper with Broadwell, which in turn means maximum clocks are unlikely to be higher than HW with current chips. If anything, this means the current process is optimized for low power (and lower frequencies).

The Skylake leaks showed more promise, and we have enough reasons to believe a mature high perf 14nm node will end up besting 22nm on top frequencies as well, but for these Broadwell chips I'll believe it when I see the overclocking reviews.

PS: then again, it might not be a good idea to get between the two of you... see you in a few pages.

Last edited:

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
So, what do you think about the fact that these CPUs work fine in 9-series boards after you worked so hard to spread the rumor that they wouldn't?

What has this to do with what you quoted..?.

I may have been wrong about ONE info given by HFR but what is the problem, am i constantly spreading infos that end being wrong later..?.

What about all the numerous cases where i m attacked because i post infos that are right but do not please the fanatics..?.

I didnt hear you often protesting that the technical debate is what matters, like the case above, is this kind of debate that you are defendind.?.

1.175V is a voltage for 3.3-3.6, depending of the binning,
At 4.137GHz expect 1.275-1.350V depending on the chips

The recents shots point that the first estimation average was accurate at leass than 1%, the second estimation average ended being accurate at 0.1%...

For me these are these kind of prevision that say if one is credible or not, not lies as practiced by some, not talking of you of course.

Now you can return to these page and check the reactions for just stating datas extracted out of existing datas, it s like inducing the slightest way that overclock could be limited has been the equivalent of publicly cursing a whole forum, nevermind the physical laws, they cant be right when it s some brands product that is questioned....