Intel Admits That Ivy Bridge Runs Hotter Because Of 22nm Shrink

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jman13

Apr 9, 2001
It's been like this forever. 386 chips didn't even have a heatsink if I'm remembering correctly. I remember the stock heatsink on a 486 DX2/66 was about a quarter inch high and the same size as the chip. When I was getting the top of the line heatsinks for my Athlon XP, they were solid copper blocks about 1/3 the size of today's heatsinks (though quite heavy). My Athlon64 heatsink was a bit bigger (and had heatpipes)......now we're looking at things like a 212 for 'good' cooling, and the really top end air coolers are enormous.

In 10 years, you're going to have your case be the heatsink, and you'll lock the CPU into the case to provide whole case heat dissipation. :)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Ouch. Hmmm. Is this the first generation of 'disposable' processors, designed to quit working after say 4-5 years so you have to buy another?

This bothers me. Almost enough to get a SB rather than an IB, just to get a CPU that will last longer. Then again, will I be using that CPU in 5+ years from now?

Does anyone know if Intel is planning on switching over current SB production to use paste too, rather than solder? (And if they do, will they change the S-SPEC so us consumers can figure out which one we have?)

Zardnok

Sep 21, 2004
I am concerned about that as well... Once that TIM dries up inside the heatspreader, I wonder if the temps are going to skyrocket even more. Probably would take a couple years to notice a difference in temps though. I guess intel figures it will last 3 years and the enthusiasts can delid it and add their own if they are still using it.
Intel using paste should make it easier to delid than the old chips that required heating up the solder with a torch to pop the cap. I plan on going water any way with my Ivy build, but I don't know if I have the cajones to pop the cap on my new $350 cpu. I have done it on older chips in the past and I have lapped most all of my CPUs. I will see what sort of temp issues I have first I suppose. I am a tad concerned to know they use TIM instead of solder though. Especially since they likely use the cheapest TIM they could find. I expect there to be issues down the road with drying and cracking. It would be nice if they offered the K-version chips with the option of soldered IHS. It would be worth a $10 premium even IMO.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Don't let people who don't know one way or another scare you.

Intel warranties their chips for 3 years, Pent II's are still around and still work but nobody cares because after a couple years they're dated and nobody wants them anyways.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
So Intel is ironing out 22nm and AMD is trying to compete with their 45nm chips still.

Sell Intel stock IMMEDIATELY!

Blades

Oct 9, 1999
AMD is on 32nm currently. They are only 1 process away.

The next process is 28nm.. So no.. but really, the 'they' you are referring to is not AMD.. its any other chip fab out there.. mostly GF (Global Foundries) and TSMC (Taiwain Semiconductor Manufacturing Corp). TSMC is, figuratively speaking, operating at 110% DC... So if you're a fabless chip maker.. and you want TSMC to produce your chip using their 28nm process.... take a number, wait in line..etc..

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
IB sounds like SB's retarded little brother. Seems like every time I come into CPU forum I'm disappointed and see no reason to move off 4 years old bloomy and if I did it would be SB which can get 5Ghz easy with less volts & less power doing it.

This bothers me. Almost enough to get a SB rather than an IB, just to get a CPU that will last longer. Then again, will I be using that CPU in 5+ years from now?

I can almost guarantee you I'll be using a 920@4.2Ghz 5 years in maybe more. Best CPU investment I've ever owned.

Get a Sandy. I'm thinking Intel needs to rename their progress from Tick Tock to Tick Dock.

After-all, Lynnfield was worse than Bloomy in speed despite coming after and now Ivy is worse than Sandy in it's own ways one being final speed.

Last edited:

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
Well I guess we can throw out the theory about Intel holding back their offerings due to a lack of competition. Though it's possible this lack of competition created the ultimate decision to forgo solder vs. paste instead. A double-loss situation for me. Intel's clock has finally done borked itself.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
IB sounds like SB's retarded little brother. Seems like every time I come into CPU forum I'm disappointed and see no reason to move off 4 years old bloomy and if I did it would be SB which can get 5Ghz easy with less volts & less power doing it.

5Ghz sandy isn't easy, some can't even run their multiplier that high. Most require over 1.4v, and they use more power than IB.

IB is better, it's just not much better until you have good cooling.

I'd rather have IB, but I'm not paying for it and I'm one of the lucky ones who actually has a 53x chip and the cooling to run it.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
5Ghz sandy isn't easy, some can't even run their multiplier that high. Most require over 1.4v, and they use more power than IB.

IB is better, it's just not much better until you have good cooling.

I'd rather have IB, but I'm not paying for it and I'm one of the lucky ones who actually has a 53x chip and the cooling to run it.

Show me where both OCed IB uses less power max ocing? Everything I've read IB starts sucking around 185W @ 4.7 while SB is around 140W @ 4.9 , basically @ speed equivalents. Not only that, IB is unsafe to run there according to anandtechs article hitting over 90C with intels water cooler so you should scale it back to be safe and in the end SB is better.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Show me where both OCed IB uses less power max ocing? Everything I've read IB starts sucking around 185W @ 4.7 while SB is around 140W @ 4.9 , basically @ speed equivalents. Not only that, IB is unsafe to run there according to anandtechs article hitting over 90C with intels water cooler so you should scale it back to be safe and in the end SB is better.

I would like you to document your claim :)

SB at 4.9Ghz and 140W basicly means you are close to being able to cool it with the stock cooler.

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
If you are using stock, you will be just fine. :thumbsup: Buy with confidence.

This. Ivy Bridge is great at stock and even if you want just a nominal OC (lets say - 4.1-4.3ghz?) its awesome.

After buying a 3770k I'm happy with it, but if you're an overclocker you can go either way. Probably for a new purchaser, a 2500/2600k would be just fine and they can overclock more easily - and they've also been discounted...the 2600k is getting a price cut and should be around 40$ cheaper than the 3770k. Getting my 3770k to 4.6ghz took a lot of trial and error and it does get hot (although its completely stable now). General rule of thumb, IB gets 15-17c hotter than SB at the same speed and comparable voltage (1.2V on IB = 1.4V on SB) While my 2600 was pretty much effortless and took about 15 minutes boom done.

Last edited:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
185W @ 4.7 for IB
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5763/undervolting-and-overclocking-on-ivy-bridge
and here 221-75 and thats from wall so SB's probably less than 140W
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/03/intel-sandy-bridge-review/11
Here they show 105W @ 4.8 on SB
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=730&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=7

My best guess is IB uses 60-65W more power when both OCed to max air equivalents due to leakage on 22nm. Would like side by side though in same review. That's why i was asking.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012

http://techreport.com/articles.x/22833

By that metric you got a 4C/4T 2500K at 221W, or a 4C/8T 3770K at 236W with much faster combined performance.

Kinda disproves your argument.

Also comapring across sites is a really bad idea. You forget the possible PSU and VRM efficiency factors.

Last edited:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Not really see my edit at both sites that measured power consumption using OCCT under prime IB was a whopping 80W more. But like I said apples to apples would be same board just swap processor at high clocks.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
This. Ivy Bridge is great at stock and even if you want just a nominal OC (lets say - 4.1-4.3ghz?) its awesome.

After buying a 3770k I'm happy with it, but if you're an overclocker you can go either way. Probably for a new purchaser, a 2500/2600k would be just fine and they can overclock more easily - and they've also been discounted...the 2600k is getting a price cut and should be around 40$ cheaper than the 3770k. Getting my 3770k to 4.6ghz took a lot of trial and error and it does get hot (although its completely stable now). General rule of thumb, IB gets 15-17c hotter than SB at the same speed and comparable voltage (1.2V on IB = 1.4V on SB) While my 2600 was pretty much effortless and took about 15 minutes boom done.

I'm not going to buy a new CPU but if I were SB all the way. IB Heat and leakage at high clocks are not something you want for longevity.. and I believe any CPU bought these days is good for many many years like my 4 years old bloomy still is. SB/IB will be in systems 4 years from now too and even longer and I would not take risk of running 90C 24/7 not to mention using more power.

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
Now Intel has confirmed that it is using "a different package thermal technology" on its Ivy Bridge processors.

does anyone know when this actually went into effect? which processor (serial number wise) are affected? lastly, how good is this new thermal solution?

my i7-3770k was bought mid december new stock. wondering to delid or not. looking for 4.5GHz on air.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Now Intel has confirmed that it is using "a different package thermal technology" on its Ivy Bridge processors.

does anyone know when this actually went into effect? which processor (serial number wise) are affected? lastly, how good is this new thermal solution?

my i7-3770k was bought mid december new stock. wondering to delid or not. looking for 4.5GHz on air.

AFAIK this refers to "different from sandy bridge" not "currently manufactured Ivy Bridge processors use a different technology than Ivy Bridge processors manufactured earlier on"

overclockers might want to steer away from Ivy Bridge.
Getting fewer MHz on a more efficient processor can still results in greater performance, overall.
More specifics then are given in the article are needed to justify this stance

Last edited:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Holy thread resurrection batman!

Have to wonder if the TIM method intel uses is long lasting,without any long term side effects,we all know on a cpu that TIM has a tendency to dry up and we reapply every so often,meaning that in like the next 5 years perhaps the TIM inside the ihs could possibly dry up and cause dramatic heating issues.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Holy thread resurrection batman!

Have to wonder if the TIM method intel uses is long lasting,without any long term side effects,we all know on a cpu that TIM has a tendency to dry up and we reapply every so often,meaning that in like the next 5 years perhaps the TIM inside the ihs could possibly dry up and cause dramatic heating issues.

That has the making of an epic conspiracy theory article on S/A :eek:

"Intel: POE (Planned Obsolescence Engineering) Behind Switch to TIM-Based CPU Packaging!"

:sneaky:

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
I won't say that's what they are planning, since I have no evidence, but the general idea isn't that outrageous. Lots of companies design products similarly.