Insurgency coming out July 1st

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Frackal
I swear after playing both sides that the devs made the insurgents unevenly advantaged.

They are a lot faster than US troops (like 2x faster) but the US troops dont seem to have any counter-advantage to make up for it

its a rare ocassion to see the marines win. I haven't tried insurgents yet.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I expected people to say it was awesome, but I'm not reading that on here or the mod's forums. I also read about USMC rarely winning. Battle of the snipers?? Bah! I guess I'll try it tonight still.

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
It sounds like it could be an amazing game if you get a good server with some decent players. If you get a server full of noobs, then it sounds like it could be a disaster.

I think it definately has potential, however, and from the screenshots it looks like the graphics are great. I'm downloading right now.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
I really like it despite its being super hard. The graphics are quite impressive for a mod especially. Better graphics than many games out today made by pros, which is another story.

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
This is really an amazing game once you know what you're doing and get a good game going. The gameplay is very impressive and is probably the most realistic game out there. I don't think there's a game that really brings home war as well as this does.

The graphics are very good, although there are some performance problems (when outside, things sometimes slow to a crawl... apparently it's a bug that will be fixed.) The animations and voice acting aren't the best, but what can you expect from a mod.

The biggest problem with Insurgency is getting a good game, with a good team and good commanders. I've found that less is more in terms of players; the best game I've played so far had a total of 8 players. The gameplay is a lot more tactical and realistic with less people. However, this game can really suck if you get bad teammates/and or a bad commander. You TRULY cannot do it all by yourself in this game; you need to work as a team, and if you don't work together and listen to your commander, you're going to be in trouble. If you get a lot of people who don't know what they're doing or don't want to work together, the game is not much fun.

Overall it's a very impressive mod; there's some bugs and a few issues, but this is a better game than a lot of retail games.

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
I would really like to try it out. For some reason every time I download and install it the file has some kind of error.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Extelleron
This is really an amazing game once you know what you're doing and get a good game going. The gameplay is very impressive and is probably the most realistic game out there. I don't think there's a game that really brings home war as well as this does.

The graphics are very good, although there are some performance problems (when outside, things sometimes slow to a crawl... apparently it's a bug that will be fixed.) The animations and voice acting aren't the best, but what can you expect from a mod.

The biggest problem with Insurgency is getting a good game, with a good team and good commanders. I've found that less is more in terms of players; the best game I've played so far had a total of 8 players. The gameplay is a lot more tactical and realistic with less people. However, this game can really suck if you get bad teammates/and or a bad commander. You TRULY cannot do it all by yourself in this game; you need to work as a team, and if you don't work together and listen to your commander, you're going to be in trouble. If you get a lot of people who don't know what they're doing or don't want to work together, the game is not much fun.

Overall it's a very impressive mod; there's some bugs and a few issues, but this is a better game than a lot of retail games.

Agreed, good synopsis. Haven't had the pleasure of a good team yet

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Molondo
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Frackal
I swear after playing both sides that the devs made the insurgents unevenly advantaged.

They are a lot faster than US troops (like 2x faster) but the US troops dont seem to have any counter-advantage to make up for it</end quote></div>

its a rare ocassion to see the marines win. I haven't tried insurgents yet.

Play the map with the trains and the coal mine (Karkas?), the marines almost always win on that map in my experience

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
I still think the insurgent team is unfairly advantaged though. I very rarely encounter a winning US Marine team. Insurgents have speed, tactical and possibly aiming advantage, but perhaps it will begin to even out.

In my experience I would say out of about 35 games, 5 won by marines 30 won by insurgents

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
lots of times it winds up with marines getting spawn killed, the one with the cliffs overlooking the marine initial spawn is a insurgent camping dream...

overall though its awesome, I die a ton but I can't stop playing

ICXRa

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
I've been reading this thread and it sounds like a mod worth checking out. I haven't reloaded Steam since rebuilding my old rig in an attempt to keep it going just a little bit longer but it appears the time has presented itself to install it again.

matas

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2005
insurgency mod does not allow my machine to play with same visual settings as css. Even with lowest graphical settings I get low fps(~15). Avg is like 25.

wazzledoozle

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2006
Originally posted by: matas
insurgency mod does not allow my machine to play with same visual settings as css. Even with lowest graphical settings I get low fps(~15). Avg is like 25.

The graphics are a lot more sophisticated than CSS.

It runs great, solid 60 fps with all high settings/full HDR 2x AA 8x AF on my rig.
LCD @ 1440x900
X850XT
X2 3800 @ 2.4
2gb DDR480

razor2025

Diamond Member
May 24, 2002
DLed it, played it, MAN is it hard. Red Orchestra is as hard as it gets, and this one is even harder. I think lacking any on-screen map is the biggest factor on the difficulty. I have no idea where I was heading or where I was.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: razor2025
DLed it, played it, MAN is it hard. Red Orchestra is as hard as it gets, and this one is even harder. I think lacking any on-screen map is the biggest factor on the difficulty. I have no idea where I was heading or where I was.

yeah, I found the biggest help though is playing both sides often, switching as much as you can

gives you an idea of where to hide for both teams and it helps a lot, I originally started playing USMC mostly. I don't really care for the insurgent guns, and I love the red dot.

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
Originally posted by: wazzledoozle
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: matas
insurgency mod does not allow my machine to play with same visual settings as css. Even with lowest graphical settings I get low fps(~15). Avg is like 25.</end quote></div>

It runs great, solid 60 fps with all high settings/full HDR 2x AA 8x AF on my rig.
LCD @ 1440x900
X850XT
X2 3800 @ 2.4
2gb DDR480

Go play the Baghdad map and tell me you're getting solid 60 FPS.

Baghdad is unplayable for me, and I have an 8800GTS and 2GB of RAM.

wazzledoozle

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2006
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Extelleron
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: wazzledoozle
insurgency mod does not allow my machine to play with same visual settings as css. Even with lowest graphical settings I get low fps(~15). Avg is like 25.</end quote></div>

LCD @ 1440x900
X850XT
X2 3800 @ 2.4
2gb DDR480

</end quote></div>

Go play the Baghdad map and tell me you're getting solid 60 FPS.

Baghdad is unplayable for me, and I have an 8800GTS and 2GB of RAM.</end quote></div>

I've played all the maps, they all run excellent. You are probably encountering some bug in the game, I've heard from a lot of people that their performance is severely impacted when going outside on maps.

(Yay for this new quote system :frown:)

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
they are releasing the first patch soon:

Release 1.0a Changelist
--- code only
* ADDED: command "tkremove" and "tkdetect"
* CHANGED: alltalk is defaulted to "0"
* FIXED: attacking with grenades while sprinting
* FIXED: RPG playing the wrong draw animation when not loaded
* FIXED: the client crash XYZ ^
* FIXED: the server crash XYZ ^
* FIXED: flashpoint and spraypaint in spectator is now disabled
* FIXED: can not longer cook smoke grenades
* FIXED: reloading the M249
* FIXED: small problem for people that do not have SSE support on their CPU
* FIXED: strange behaviour in shotgun reload
* CHANGED: it wont suicide you when you select another class anymore
-- others
* FIXED: Lots of FPS Improvements

:)

matas

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2005
Originally posted by: wazzledoozle

LCD @ 1440x900
X850XT
X2 3800 @ 2.4
2gb DDR480

2.93Ghz P4
X800XL
1.5GB DDR2

Mine

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Finally got to play it for about 15-20 minutes. Pretty good. Well really good IMO for the first release, and it being a free mod. Graphics, levels, models, and animations are very good. I had a feeling that Valve doing episodic releases that take so damn long isn't gonna be a good idea as Source is from 2004 as it is (especially with games like Crysis that will raise the bar so high), but its obvious that Source can product some pretty amazing graphics given the hardware required to run it.

I only played the coal mine level with about 13-16 players, but it ran very smooth at 1680x1050, 4x AA, 16x AF, and every detail on/high. I suspect that more players, other levels, are intensive scenes in general will slow down too much with these settings, so I'll probably have to turn down AA to 2x or something. But relative to DoD:S, which I use the same settings with, this runs about the same, but that is likely due to playing DoD:S with more players than I just did with Insurgency.

2.7ghz Opty 165
2GB DDR @ 150 MHz
7800GT @ 465/1110

I got owned though. I probably only got 3 kills for like 8 deaths. I didn't like that level either. It was a bit hard at first to find where the hell to go. I don't mind the no crosshair and realism aspect too much... it's nice to have a change, but I did bad the whole time. There were a few deaths I had where I had no idea at all where the shots came from. You just sort of die.

I don't see much use for the RPG class, but that is my opinion for just that little bit of time and that level. I guess city levels might have more of a use for it. In DoD:S, there were quite a number of people who were really awesome with the RPG class, and the carbine type weapon they had was more useful than a pistol. I probably did the best while playing rifleman with the AK. The bipod mode was pretty cool. I tried sniper for a little bit and couldn't hit jack. Sniper is very easy in DoD:S, too powerful even, but maybe this one just has a higher learning curve. I hope the games don't turn into sniper battles/where the hell did that shot come from that killed me.

Overall, very nice job by the devs. Source engine rocks... superb, clean graphics with minimal hardware, lots of modding, and awesome network code (tho I swear my ping is often underestimated in Source games... 15-30 ping on a Chicago server that is 8+ hours away?).

Apr 17, 2005
i have to try this. how does it compare to bf1942 and css? those are my two favorite online shooters and was looking for something with a little more strategy but at the same time on some decent sized maps.