Instant Pot owners, what's your favorite recipie?

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Not quite on subject but anyone else having issues with the burn message? We're only 2 so bought the 3 quart and I don't know if its because recipes are made for the 6-8 quarts but at least 50% of recipes we try give this message.

It's unfortunate considering how much we're liking the food but if it won't stop burning everything we'll just have to go back to cooking the old fashion way.

Is it actually burning your food, or just giving you the message on the screen? There are multiple root causes for this message:

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-burn/

I have found that my 3-quart gets hotter than my 6-quart does, and I have to watch certain recipes (like blueberry compote) because they'll get stuck on the bottom if I'm not careful.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
It's definitely burning the food. Last night for example the recipe was to saute an onion for 10 minutes than add 28Oz crushed tomatoes and 1/2 cup of water then mix it all well before adding meat on top. We did that and even before it got pressurized it had already started burning on the bottom.

I wonder if we're not to blame though, it says to hit poultry then pressure cook for 15 minutes... well we don't have a poultry option so I used the pressure option only. It burnt so I then cleaned it some and moved to the meat setting where it burnt again.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
It's definitely burning the food. Last night for example the recipe was to saute an onion for 10 minutes than add 28Oz crushed tomatoes and 1/2 cup of water then mix it all well before adding meat on top. We did that and even before it got pressurized it had already started burning on the bottom.

I wonder if we're not to blame though, it says to hit poultry then pressure cook for 15 minutes... well we don't have a poultry option so I used the pressure option only. It burnt so I then cleaned it some and moved to the meat setting where it burnt again.

The procedure might be the issue here...are you sauteing in the pot itself? If you do that, and then pressure-cook immediately after, then the heat is already up high & it can go into burning mode. I ran into this problem a lot on my first Instant Pot (6-quart model), despite a lot of recipes telling you to saute then pressure-cook. Doesn't seem to happen on my 8-quart; not sure if that's because the programming logic has improved or because it's a bigger size or what. So try allowing for a cool-down period between sauteing and pressure-cooking, either by waiting a few minutes for the pot to cool down or by throwing in some cold water or whatever, just to see if that changes anything.

Again though, with my 3-quart IP, it does seem to get hotter & burn the bottom of the bowl a lot more than my 6 & 8-quart models. I've had to adjust some of my recipes & also babysit stuff like fruit compote by stirring it a lot so that it doesn't get glued onto the bottom of the pot.

As with everything, it's a learning process. A lot of people do freestyle meals in their IP; I primarily use mine by recipe using specific quantities of food so that it comes out the same every time, which usually means cooking the particular recipe a few times until I get the procedure nailed down perfectly, and then I know if I'm doing say two pounds of chicken breast with whatever other ingredients for a recipe, it will come out exactly the right way every time. But that's just me...I'm very recipe-based in my cooking, and I like tools that let me replicate something exactly how I want it every time.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Just dusted off my IP 6 Quart tonight after about a good year of non use to cook some dried black beans. Found out that my ex burned part of the control panel so the manual button is not usable (SOB) :mad:.

I added the beans and 8 cups of water (way too much will adjust next time), hit the beans button and it cooked for 30 minutes. Opened it up and the beans and flavorings were wayyyyyy off. Seasoned it to perfection this time, hit the beans button once more, and 30 minutes later, + 20 min natural release and OMG, best frijoles negro I've ever had. Got the hand blender out and pulverized some of the beans for a few seconds and OMFG even better.

Question is, do I get a new IP (which model), or keep hitting the pre-programmed buttons and working around the limitations since I can't hit the manual button? It could be more buttons that are dead but I haven't checked yet.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Found out that my ex burned part of the control panel so the manual button is not usable (SOB) :mad:.

Ahhhh that stinks! I wonder if they'd do a repair for you, or maybe ship you out a replacement panel.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Ahhhh that stinks! I wonder if they'd do a repair for you, or maybe ship you out a replacement panel.
I used a couple of gift cards and pulled the trigger on an Ultra late last night. I was planning on trying to make some brisket chili in it on Monday and wanted to make sure I had a pot where I can set the timer and forget. Also my birthday is coming up so happy early birthday present to me I guess.

Will probably give the old one to my ex or one of my brothers.

Reactions: Kaido

Emily Sanchez

Apr 22, 2018
So I've been tinkering with Starbucks Egg Bites in my Anova for the past month. They have turned out pretty good (way better than the ones from Starbucks, at any rate):

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/i-got-my-anova-today.2360863/page-39#post-39069199

However, I've been looking for a more efficient way to make them (right now I use 4oz glass Mason jars & cook them sous vide for over an hour). I've been messing around with using silicone moldsw with instapot guide (baby food/candy/ice cube/chocolate molds all work, as long as they physically fit in your pot) with pretty good results! Just did a batch with whole eggs, cottage cheese, Jalapeno Cabot, and ham steak. Crisped up with a TS8000 torch. Meal prep for the week DONE!

l7GRWrL.jpg
The recipe looks mouthwatering. I am going to try it today with my new instant pot ultra. I hope it will be delicious.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
The recipe looks mouthwatering. I am going to try it today with my new instant pot ultra. I hope it will be delicious.

FYI I have an updated procedure. I use this tray now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QI7O7Z8

It's a snug fit in the 6qt Instant Pot, but it does fit! Here's what to do:

1. Put one cup of water in the Instant Pot bowl and put the included wire rack in too

2. In a blender, combine 4 eggs, 1/4 cup heavy cream, 1 & 1/2 cups of grated or sliced cheese, and half a cup of cottage cheese (you can substitute in ricotta or cream cheese if you want)

3. Grease the mold (I use Pam) and fill each cavity in the mold with the mix. You can optionally add mix-ins at this point (meat, veggies, herbs, etc.). I like cubed ham. I'm lazy and just buy the pre-chopped, pre-cooked ham chunks in the bag. One trick I learned is to roll the ham chunks in rice flour (you can buy it, or if you a high-powered blender like a Vitamix, just make it yourself), which does a pretty decent job suspending the meat in the egg mix so that it doesn't sink to the bottom of the mold.

4. Loosely cover the top of the mold in the Instant Pot with a layer of aluminum foil and cook on Steam mode for 8 minutes, then do a natural release for another 10 minutes. Allow them to cool down. This is where you need to experiment with things like what release agent works best for you (shortening, Pam, etc.), how long to cook (optionally do Manual on High Pressure instead of steaming them), and so on. The goal is to get perfect little egg bites to slide out, which can be a little tricky, especially since different ingredients change the texture. Like too much gooey cheese will make them fall apart no matter how much you let them cool down. I sometimes add a couple teaspoons of arrowroot starch as a binder to hold everything together.

You can experiment a lot. Chunks of hard cheese are good because they get soft but not super melty & can add a lot of flavor, and fancy cheeses like gouda or Gruyère can add a lot of flavor, as well as smoked cheese and spiced or hot cheeses (ex. pepper jack cheese). You can do some interesting things with herbs & spices like chives & red pepper flakes. Veggies & greens can be pretty good; I do an egg white egg bite with frozen spinach that comes out pretty awesome. I usually don't salt my egg bites until it's time to eat them. They're good with sauces too, so if you have some Sriracha or salsa, that's a good way to spice them up.

They also microwave well from the fridge (~30 seconds) and freeze well, so you can make them in batches. I usually keep at least two flavors in my freezer for quick breakfasts. The flavor combinations are pretty much endless, and you can also chop them up really quickly and throw them in a flour tortilla for an easy breakfast burrito. For quick breakfast meals, I tend to alternate between overnight oatmeal, yogurt parfaits (Instant Pots are great at making homemade yogurt!), and egg bites. They've become a staple in my house since I started making them!

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Ok so I'm a month late but Kaido was in all probability right about my burn issues. What I did was start doing all the saute work on the stove and then I transfer it to the IP. It dirties more dishes but has so far worked flawelssly. We bought a 6Qt this weekend and will leave the 3Qt for the cottage, this is without a doubt the greatest kitchen appliance I've ever used. I'm looking forward to making ribs now that I have the larger one.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Any of you make shredded chicken from chicken breasts in your instant pot? If so, how long does it take?

I currently make a ton of chicken salad but I slow cook it on low for like 6.5 hours in salsa with around 4lbs of chicken breasts. I'm really contemplating getting an instant pot so I can just do this shit after work in like 30 minutes if possible.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Any of you make shredded chicken from chicken breasts in your instant pot? If so, how long does it take?

I currently make a ton of chicken salad but I slow cook it on low for like 6.5 hours in salsa with around 4lbs of chicken breasts. I'm really contemplating getting an instant pot so I can just do this shit after work in like 30 minutes if possible.

I think around 15 min, just follow the cook time for the crack chicken as it is shredded after cooking.

https://www.adventuresofanurse.com/2016/10/04/instant-pot-crack-chicken/

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

I currently make a ton of chicken salad but I slow cook it on low for like 6.5 hours in salsa with around 4lbs of chicken breasts. I'm really contemplating getting an instant pot so I can just do this after work in like 30 minutes if possible.

Basic method: (there are many ways to do it!)

https://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2017/02/instant-pot-shredded-chicken-breast.html

Also:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/02/food-lab-great-quesadillas.html

I just made a quick snack this afternoon...mixed shredded chicken, shredded mozzarella, and Ranch dressing in a bowl with some spices (garlic salt & paprika), then made a quesadilla per the procedure linked above. Mad tasty! The quesadilla morphs into almost like a pie crust using Kenji's tricks - layered, flaky, and crispy.

like to keep a few pounds of shredded chicken in the fridge for random stuff like that.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Side note - there are multiple ways to shred chicken:

1. Using two forks
2. Using meat claws (around $15 for a pair on Amazon, I love 'em because I do pulled beef/chicken/pork/etc.)
3. Using an electric hand mixer (the handheld motorized one with the two mixing blades that pop out)
4. Using an electric stand mixer with the paddle attachment (like a Kitchenaid)
5. Using a food processor

I usually use meat claws if I want large shreds of meat, or else use an electric appliance if I want finer strands for something like chicken salad.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Side note - there are multiple ways to shred chicken:

1. Using two forks
2. Using meat claws (around $15 for a pair on Amazon, I love 'em because I do pulled beef/chicken/pork/etc.)
3. Using an electric hand mixer (the handheld motorized one with the two mixing blades that pop out)
4. Using an electric stand mixer with the paddle attachment (like a Kitchenaid)
5. Using a food processor

I usually use meat claws if I want large shreds of meat, or else use an electric appliance if I want finer strands for something like chicken salad.
i usually use my anova for chicken breasts, does the meat get dried out in the IP when cooking? I set my breast in the anova to like 150 degrees for the moistest chicken breast.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I will be trying various recipes for my DUO60.

I am looking forward to trying out:

cabbage roll casserole
BBQ ribs
lasagna

:)

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
i usually use my anova for chicken breasts, does the meat get dried out in the IP when cooking? I set my breast in the anova to like 150 degrees for the moistest chicken breast.

I would say it definitely comes out more moist when done sous vide. Sous vide chicken is just a whole different animal. I do the bulk of my single proteins sous vide these days, for convenience (vac-sealed, in freezer, throw in chilled Mellow, ready to go EOD).

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I have a pic of my Instant Pot roast beef dinner:

2ropd05.jpg

This roast is fork tender and the veggies are amazingly tender. This is a great meal.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Ok guys! I have decided to post something very tasty I made tonight.

I used 2 different recipes. One for the potatoes and the other for chicken.

For the chicken: https://www.thereciperebel.com/creamy-italian-instant-pot-chicken-breasts/

For the potatoes: https://thecozycook.com/instant-pot-roasted-potatoes/

I bought some boneless - skinless chicken breasts.

I have some white potatoes on hand and chopped them into 1/4's (small potatoes). I basically followed the recipe for the potatoes. I added garlic powder, Italian seasoning and some paprika and salt/pepper.

when done I removed the potatoes but left the seasoned liquid in the pot. I then put the chicken in there and cooked it like the recipe said.

When done, I removed the chicken. This is where I altered the recipe. I added a can of cream of mushroom soup, freshly chopped crimini mushrooms and some frozen broccoli and cauliflower. I used the saute function and cooked down the mushrooms while stirring.

I then put some chicken on a plate with some of the potatoes and spooned some sauce onto the chicken breasts.

This took roughly 1 hour to make and is incredibly tasty.