Instant Pot owners, what's your favorite recipie?

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I'm going to take the plunge and get an IP. Haven't been through the entire thread, but do you guys have the 6qt? We have a family of 3, but on weekends we typically have extended family come visit and hang out, so I'm debating if I should spring for the 8qt.

Edit: Also, which model do you recommend?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'd go for the 8qt. I'd imagine there aren't any downsides if you only ever use 6qt of its capacity. I have the 6qt non-Bluetooth version.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I'm going to take the plunge and get an IP. Haven't been through the entire thread, but do you guys have the 6qt? We have a family of 3, but on weekends we typically have extended family come visit and hang out, so I'm debating if I should spring for the 8qt.

Edit: Also, which model do you recommend?

The 6qt holds a lot, but if you think you'd get use out of the 8qt, you can still cook small quantities in it just fine. For reference, I have a 3qt, 6qt, 8qt, and 14qt (mammoth). I use the 6qt the most, but the 8qt is nice if you want to do an entire corn on the cob instead of the half-cuts, and you can fit larger birds in the 8qt & also make larger amounts of a 6qt-size recipe. It's also only like a $30 difference, so if you think you'd use larger, it's easier to get a larger one & then cook smaller amounts (if needed) than it is to buy smaller & then have to do 2 batches.

Reactions: thestrangebrew1

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
every recipe for butter chicken i'm finding has onions in it.

From her dialogue:
I’ve seen so many Indian Instant Pot Butter Chicken recipes lately that have no butter, no cream but that call for cornstarch, onions (heresy, y’all, no onions in butter chicken for the love of all that’s good) and coconut milk instead of cream, so I’ve decided it’s time to fix that.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
every recipe for butter chicken i'm finding has onions in it.

My assumption is folks confusing butter chicken with tikka masala. For some reason, the lines tend to get blurred.

As a sidenote, using the immersion blender to puree the sauce once the chicken is cooked/temporarily removed is genius. This is the only recipe I've seen recommend that (though I could have of course just done it myself this entire time). Makes for a velvety, delicious sauce.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
My assumption is folks confusing butter chicken with tikka masala. For some reason, the lines tend to get blurred.

As a sidenote, using the immersion blender to puree the sauce once the chicken is cooked/temporarily removed is genius. This is the only recipe I've seen recommend that (though I could have of course just done it myself this entire time). Makes for a velvety, delicious sauce.

IP + immersion blender FTW

Makes it super easy to make stuff like applesauce & various soups too, especially bisques. Easy recipe for tomato soup:

https://www.simplyhappyfoodie.com/instant-pot-easy-tomato-soup/

Christ Ewart

Feb 14, 2018
I am about to buy a 6 Qt. Instant Pot ($99 on Amazon) after reading this review: https://instapot.online/
We are a family of 4 person and I really don't like cooking in large amounts. My wife likes to eat fresh and so do I. Anyone with an IP and similar family size, do you think 6 Qt is sufficient for me? Or I should go for the 8 Qt one.

Please advise.
Thanks

Last edited:

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I am about to buy a 6 Qt. Instant Pot ($99 on Amazon) after reading this review: https://instapot.online/
We are a family of 4 person and I really don't like cooking in large amounts. My wife likes to eat fresh and so do I. Anyone with an IP and similar family size, do you think 6 Qt is sufficient for me? Or I should go for the 8 Qt one.

Please advise.
Thanks

6qt will be fine. Its just me and the girlfriend and we always have leftovers for at least 2 more meals, and ive never filled my 6qt to capacity.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
6qt will be fine. Its just me and the girlfriend and we always have leftovers for at least 2 more meals, and ive never filled my 6qt to capacity.

FWIW, it's not always about meal quantity, sometimes it's also about raw material size. You can cook a whole bird in the IP, and a small roasting chicken can easily fill the 6qt size up (and it's great, if you don't mind the non-crispy skin...the meat is literally fall-off-the-bone tender). And sometimes I do stuff that requires racks & layering, like stacking up multiple ramekins for say creme brulee (nom nom nom).

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Wow, I had no idea they even had a multi-cooker out: (or if I did, I forgot! lol)

https://instantpot.com/portfolio-item/gem-multicooker/

I had a KitchenAid multi-cooker for awhile...personally for me, I didn't find it all that useful. For those unfamiliar with them, an Instant Pot is a pressure cooker, whereas a multi-cooker is basically a crockpot that doubles as a mini-oven. The IP Gem model can go up to 375F, so it kind of acts like say an Oster roaster in addition to a slow cooker. However, it does NOT pressure-cook, which is where the speed comes from. One of the things I liked about the KitchenAid was that it had a Stir Tower attachment, which is basically a robot stirring arm. I just use a $30 Gourmia Stirrific now on my Instant Pot or OneTop to get the same effect.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
New Instant Pot coming out: the 6-quart Instant Pot Max, due out early summer, estimated $200 retail price:

https://www.thekitchn.com/instant-pot-max-2018-new-features-254980

1. Can be used for canning (goes up to 15 PSI now, just like a stovetop model)

2. Has an automatic stirrer built-in (not sure how it works, but that feature sounds aweome!!)

3. Multiple venting options (including automatic slow venting, pulse venting, and quick-release)

4. Touchscreen interface

Honestly, I would can a lot more stuff if it were more convenient. I have a small(ish) 21.5qt pressure canner now, but it's still huge & is a process instead of a convenience thing. Granted, when you're canning you're usually doing a bunch of food at once, so it's handy to have the larger size (and mine is the smaller unit!).

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
New Instant Pot coming out: the 6-quart Instant Pot Max, due out early summer, estimated $200 retail price:

https://www.thekitchn.com/instant-pot-max-2018-new-features-254980

1. Can be used for canning (goes up to 15 PSI now, just like a stovetop model)

2. Has an automatic stirrer built-in (not sure how it works, but that feature sounds aweome!!)

3. Multiple venting options (including automatic slow venting, pulse venting, and quick-release)

4. Touchscreen interface

Honestly, I would can a lot more stuff if it were more convenient. I have a small(ish) 21.5qt pressure canner now, but it's still huge & is a process instead of a convenience thing. Granted, when you're canning you're usually doing a bunch of food at once, so it's handy to have the larger size (and mine is the smaller unit!).

Interdasting.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I made some pulled pork.

JnxvZth.jpg

Reactions: Kaido

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Made butter chicken again last night -- definitely sub in coconut oil for half of the required butter. Delicious.

Reactions: Kaido

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Not quite on subject but anyone else having issues with the burn message? We're only 2 so bought the 3 quart and I don't know if its because recipes are made for the 6-8 quarts but at least 50% of recipes we try give this message.

It's unfortunate considering how much we're liking the food but if it won't stop burning everything we'll just have to go back to cooking the old fashion way.