Instant Pot owners, what's your favorite recipie?

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Am considering buying one, what's your "go to" IP meal?

Edit: bought one, I like crock pot beef roasts, this will speed things up.

Last edited:

Xstatic1

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2006
Am considering buying one, what's your "go to" IP meal?

Edit: bought one, I like crock pot beef roasts, this will speed things up.

'Grats! Just bought one recently as well. :) I've only used it twice so far.

In the near future, I'm hoping to re-create my crock pot recipes (which take 7+ hours to cook) in my IP. If all's well, I'll likely give away my crock pot.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
3 dozen hard boiled eggs using the 5-5-5 method. I heat things up on the trivet more than I make from scratch like frozen veggies (1min on low pressure) and frozen turkey meatballs (4 minutes in the broth, saute beforehand optional but locks in the juice).

"Go to" making something from scratch is chicken dumplings which is only 5 ingredients. Add 2 cans of cream of chicken (low sodium and preferably without soybean oil), 2 cans chicken broth low sodium, add 4tbl coconut oil, add 6 chicken breasts, and cook for 10-15 minutes (depending if frozen or not). Open it up, cut chicken, add tortillas cut into squares at the size you like your dumplings. Cook for another 5 minutes, quick pressure release. Done.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
:sneaky: :eek: o_O :cool:

bud_mm_gdp.jpg

Reactions: Chocu1a

Xstatic1

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2006

I'm an IP newbie. I use a Crock Pot to cook Kalua Pork (it's a 2-day process since I use a wet rub the night before it's cooked). The only liquid I add to the Crock Pot is liquid smoke (1 tablespoon). I used to add 1/8 cup water (early on), but I don't bother doing this anymore.

My question has to do with the recipe you posted ^, she (and I'm assuming you as well) adds 1 cup of water to the IP. In the photo after the paragraph, "Once the cooker is depressurized..." is there that much liquid in the IP (it looks like it doubled or maybe even tripled)?

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I'm an IP newbie. I use a Crock Pot to cook Kalua Pork (it's a 2-day process since I use a wet rub the night before it's cooked). The only liquid I add to the Crock Pot is liquid smoke (1 tablespoon). I used to add 1/8 cup water (early on), but I don't bother doing this anymore.

My question has to do with the recipe you posted ^, she (and I'm assuming you as well) adds 1 cup of water to the IP. In the photo after the paragraph, "Once the cooker is depressurized..." is there that much liquid in the IP (it looks like it doubled or maybe even tripled)?

Yes. Pressure cookers work by using liquid to pressurize the pot (they include a steaming rack if you don't want your food to sit in the liquid). There's quite a bit of liquid leftover in the Nom Nom Kalua pig recipe (and the meat is incredibly moist!). On a tangent, I don't much care for cabbage, but it's absolutely fantastic in this recipe.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
WTH is this?

One of my favorite instant food recipes is to tear the wrapper off something and eat it. Just did this, in fact.
Shit, thought this was about Marijuana :(

That was my first take, but on closer inspection I figured it was about some kitchen implement.

Maridon Tier

May 25, 2016
I actually bought to of these on amazon recently, one as a gift to someone else. It's really quick and the default settings and finely tuned imo. My favourite recipe is suprisingly a basic pot roast seared beef throw that in there with some bbq sauce and a acid like lime juice or vinegar. Then chop up some fresh chilis and other veggies you like. Slow cook it for 4-6 hours or 9-10 hours. Pull it out and shred that beef and mix it back in there, let it slow cook additional 2 hours. And it's the bombest food you've ever ate :).

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I actually bought to of these on amazon recently, one as a gift to someone else. It's really quick and the default settings and finely tuned imo. My favourite recipe is suprisingly a basic pot roast seared beef throw that in there with some bbq sauce and a acid like lime juice or vinegar. Then chop up some fresh chilis and other veggies you like. Slow cook it for 4-6 hours or 9-10 hours. Pull it out and shred that beef and mix it back in there, let it slow cook additional 2 hours. And it's the bombest food you've ever ate :).

fwiw, a pot roast in the IP only takes about 90 minutes (with pressurization & a short natural depressurization followed by a quick release). The flavor is usually enhanced too, because the steam doesn't escape, it stays in the pot! Surprisingly, food comes out just as tender (if not more tender) than slow cookers too.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Frig, i missed the sale on the Instant Pot. Always wanted to try one. Should i buy the instant pot now or is this a comparable product?

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Pressu...8&qid=1468587841&sr=1-11&keywords=instant+pot

Definitely get an Instant Pot. Best safety, best programs, best customer service. A little more money up-front, but I have dozens of friends with them & they are great little machines.

With that said, a non-IP brand will still work fine. One of my friends owns three electronic pressure cookers, all from different brands (two 6-qt & one 8-qt). A lot of the recipes online are for the buttons on the IP, so you'll just have to convert to whatever machine you get.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Definitely get an Instant Pot. Best safety, best programs, best customer service. A little more money up-front, but I have dozens of friends with them & they are great little machines.

With that said, a non-IP brand will still work fine. One of my friends owns three electronic pressure cookers, all from different brands (two 6-qt & one 8-qt). A lot of the recipes online are for the buttons on the IP, so you'll just have to convert to whatever machine you get.
I sent you a PM Kaido. Let me know if you ordered some Instant Pots on Prime Day and want to sell one :)

Reactions: lsd

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
The kalua pig is really freaking good, but I think my favorite so far is Pressure Cooker Mongolian Beef.

So tasty served with some simple white rice.

Weird. I was PM'ing Kaido how I ordered the red salt for the pig (I previously used Kosher, but like anything in the kitchen... he talked me into buying it). Unfortunately it won't be here until Monday, so I'm thinking I may give the beef a go this weekend. Sounds like it's a solid choice. I made some broccoli last night using the manual setting (NOT Steaming) and it came out basically perfect. Consistency was right, color was right, and taste was good. So ... I've got the broccoli already, just need the beef :D

FYI, if you're interested about the pressure cooked broccoli, it was basically:

1) Add 1C water in pot
2) Add broccoli directly into pot (do NOT need to use the rack/basket)
3) Close/Lock Lid
4) Click manual and decrease the time from the standard "30" to "0"
5) Let it come to pressure
6) When it beeps, immediately release steam using quick release
7) Open lid and take out your perfect broc
8) Enjoy!

I imagine you could do this for any green veggies - asparagus, green beans, etc.

Oh, I also want to try the spaghetti squash this weekend as well.

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
I had a pressure cooker from Evine live, cooks essentials or something. Tried to make pasta first, it burnt the hell out of it, the bottom was all crusty. Tried frozen chicken wings next, came out soggy and undercooked. Tried rice, was undercooked for the most part. Don't know of instant pot, but that brand didn't impress me.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I sent you a PM Kaido. Let me know if you ordered some Instant Pots on Prime Day and want to sell one :)

I was going to, but I ended up pulling the trigger on the HTC Vive that I've been saving up since January, instead of going nuts on Prime Day. Regretting it a little bit because it would have saved a couple hundred on kitchen tools, but my VR exercise bike is just sitting there waiting for the headset, soooooo :awe: