Instant Pot owners, what's your favorite recipie?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I had a pressure cooker from Evine live, cooks essentials or something. Tried to make pasta first, it burnt the hell out of it, the bottom was all crusty. Tried frozen chicken wings next, came out soggy and undercooked. Tried rice, was undercooked for the most part. Don't know of instant pot, but that brand didn't impress me.

Yeah, that's one of the nice things about the IP...it has a computer in it, plus it uses induction for heat. Also, huge support community online through Facebook, Reddit, mommy blogs, Youtube videos, etc.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Instant Pot breaks Amazon Prime Day records:

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/n...eaks-amazon-prime-day-records-tops-u-s-sales/

Amazon just announced the results of their second annual prime day – and one pressure cooker topped the list. Their top selling item in the United States was the Instant Pot DUO 6L which was sold at a jaw-dropping price. Even though they limited one purchase per person, they managed to hawk 215,000 Instant Pots, Wednesday. That’s more pressure cookers than every brand of headphones sold that day combined (200,000) – the second most-sold item.

Although the DUO is not Instant Pot’s latest model [Kaido note: they have a Bluetooth version now, as well as a larger 8-qt model] – it has captured the marketplace by combining a pressure cooker (which cooks food 50-70% faster), rice cooker, slow cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, warmer and saute’ function all in one appliance while offering a stainless steel cooking surface to address consumer movement away from non-stick surfaces.

Well that's a fast way to make $15 million dollars :D

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Yeah, that's one of the nice things about the IP...it has a computer in it, plus it uses induction for heat. Also, huge support community online through Facebook, Reddit, mommy blogs, Youtube videos, etc.

Yeah I think it would be hard to burn anything in the instant pot. One time the sealing valve didn't engage on mine (instant pot owners always need to check for that btw). It boiled away a lot of the water in the pot, detected that it was overheating, and shut itself off before anything bad happened. Doing that totally screws your cooking time though. Your meal may be salvageable, but you have to account for the time it boiled when you restart it.

I never tried rice in mine, but I can't imagine it would undercook it. I did cook some wings for a sizeable gathering at my house though. I steamed mine for like 10 minutes, then dipped them in sauce and put them under the oven broiler for a few minutes to caramelize. They were practically falling apart when I took them out of the pot.. Nothing left but bones at the end of the night. :)

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Weird. I was PM'ing Kaido how I ordered the red salt for the pig (I previously used Kosher, but like anything in the kitchen... he talked me into buying it). Unfortunately it won't be here until Monday, so I'm thinking I may give the beef a go this weekend. Sounds like it's a solid choice. I made some broccoli last night using the manual setting (NOT Steaming) and it came out basically perfect. Consistency was right, color was right, and taste was good. So ... I've got the broccoli already, just need the beef :D

I started getting into salts last years. I thought it was all BS, but the ones I keep on-hand are:

1. Sea salt: I use this for most stuff because it's just a nice fine salt.

2. Kosher salt: Coarser salt for baking & for eggs...that's what gives eggs the restaurant-quality flavor.

3. Red Hawaiian sea salt: it's like really salty salt with a good salt flavor...that sounds dumb but it's good lol. It's like when you get a really good, fresh piece of beef for a steak & it has that awesome meaty flavor. This salt is amazing on meats!

4. Maldon sea salt flakes: Mainly for desserts like these incredible 5" chocolate-chip cookies

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Instant Pot breaks Amazon Prime Day records:

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/n...eaks-amazon-prime-day-records-tops-u-s-sales/

Well that's a fast way to make $15 million dollars :D

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Goes to show you that this device isn't just a 'trendy' thing. It really does work. I'll be praising it this weekend when I can cook an entire meal without having to turn the stove/oven on (it's supposed to be ridiculously hot and humid).

:thumbsup:

Edit: Let me not forget to add that out of those 215k IP's, there was probably ONE shipped without a power cord. Guess who got it? D:

Last edited:

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
I started getting into salts last years. I thought it was all BS, but the ones I keep on-hand are:

1. Sea salt: I use this for most stuff because it's just a nice fine salt.

2. Kosher salt: Coarser salt for baking & for eggs...that's what gives eggs the restaurant-quality flavor.

3. Red Hawaiian sea salt: it's like really salty salt with a good salt flavor...that sounds dumb but it's good lol. It's like when you get a really good, fresh piece of beef for a steak & it has that awesome meaty flavor. This salt is amazing on meats!

4. Maldon sea salt flakes: Mainly for desserts like these incredible 5" chocolate-chip cookies

I wonder how brining with sea salt would compare with regular kosher/table? A quick google search yields that there's not too much difference. Have you experimented with this?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Yeah I think it would be hard to burn anything in the instant pot. One time the sealing valve didn't engage on mine (instant pot owners always need to check for that btw). It boiled away a lot of the water in the pot, detected that it was overheating, and shut itself off before anything bad happened. Doing that totally screws your cooking time though. Your meal may be salvageable, but you have to account for the time it boiled when you restart it.

I never tried rice in mine, but I can't imagine it would undercook it. I did cook some wings for a sizeable gathering at my house though. I steamed mine for like 10 minutes, then dipped them in sauce and put them under the oven broiler for a few minutes to caramelize. They were practically falling apart when I took them out of the pot.. Nothing left but bones at the end of the night. :)

Yeah I did ribs the first day I got it, they were so well cooked that the meat literally slid off the bones when I took them out to broil, I had to adjust my cooking time after that :D

Rice comes out amazing. As good or better than a fuzzy-logic rice cooker. Particularly brown rice. Plus it cooks so fast you can layer stuff with say a broiler to get great results like this chicken & rice recipe:

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-chicken-and-rice-one-pot-meal/

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I wonder how brining with sea salt would compare with regular kosher/table? A quick google search yields that there's not too much difference. Have you experimented with this?

With the kalua pig, I've tried Kosher & red Hawaiian. Definitely like the red salt flavor better for that recipe. But not everyone is that sensitive to the differences in salt flavors; I'm not that sensitive to a lot of other flavors (like fresh vs. dried basil, other than pesto it doesn't really make a difference to my taste buds), so it kind of depends on what works for you.

With salt, the key thing is the density. If you're dissolving it, it doesn't matter what you use.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/ask-the-food-lab-do-i-need-to-use-kosher-salt.html

Like, a lot of chefs like, Fleur de Sel, which is kind of like Maldon but it dissolves when you start eating it, so it's crunchy in your mouth, then melts, which isn't bad on fish & stuff, but I haven't really gone crazy over it. I've been experimenting more & more with salted desserts for contrast; David Leite's cookies linked above are absolutely incredible, and if you want to try something super-easy, these microwave caramels are one of my go-to candies that I make: (note: I recommend letting it set for at least half a day, or overnight...in my area, at least, it takes a long time to go from squishy to solid enough to cut)

http://www.cookingclassy.com/2014/04/microwave-caramels/

Maldon salt on top of those caramels takes it to a whole 'nother level, sooooooo good :thumbsup:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I started a subreddit last year for the Instant Pot Smart, which is the Bluetooth model. Exact same as the regular one, except with Bluetooth (you can save recipes & automatically execute more complex cycles with ramping & set times & whatnot). Personally, I don't really use the BT feature like, ever, but I have some useful info over there & on my wiki:

Good user communities

Instant Pot resource page

Intro to Instant Pot, accessories, and recipes

Video: How to clean the Instant Pot

Some other fun stuff you can do:

Fried french fries: Pressure cook for a couple minutes, then deep-fry.

Video: Babyback ribs

Curry meatballs

Baked potatoes (well, shortcut method)

Maple-glazed carrots

Some lists to browse for ideas: (along with Facebook, Youtube, etc.)

Prairie Homestead: 21 best Instant Pot recipes

The Stir: 16 Instant Pot recipes that make cooking crazy easy

Nom Nom Paleo: Top 10 pressure-cooker recipes

Cookies & Cups: 25 simple & delicious Instant Pot recipes

Phoenix Helix: Fast Food on the AIP: An Instant Pot Recipe Roundup (a bunch of healthy stuff)

Facebook groups: (some are closed/private so you have to request to join)

1. Instant Pot People
2. Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Meals
3. Instant Pot Recipe Swap
4. Instant Pot Community
5. Instant Pot User Group - G-BOMBS (note: veggie/health-based)
6. Pressure Cooker Cooks

Some ideas on stuff you can make:

1. Meats (roasts, chicken/shredded chicken, kalua pig, carnitas, etc.)
2. Soups, stews, chilis, bisques
3. Desserts (compotes, various puddings, and especially cheesecakes!)
4. Staples (hardboiled eggs, roasted garlic for roll spread, bone broth & chicken stock)
5. Beans (especially chickpeas for hummus & aquafaba, also homemade refried beans & any dry beans)
6. Veggies & starches (any fresh or frozen veggie, potatoes, rice)
7. Yogurt (this is what I'm working on perfecting lately)

At some point I'll consolidate all of this stuff on my wiki for easy reference :D

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
On the topic of food: if you haven't heard of no-knead bread, you should DEFINITELY check it out (don't worry CraKaJaX, this is all re-runs for you lol). In a nutshell: yeast kneads itself if you let it sit long enough (like...a day), so you can stir some stuff together in a bowl for a minute, let it sit overnight, bake it the next day, and have amazing bread. Here's the article that started it all:

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

A bunch of recipes here:

http://catch42.pbworks.com/w/page/100722157/No-knead bread

What's awesome is that you can do stuff like Panera's bread bowls with just about zero effort:

http://ahomemadeliving.com/2014/09/no-knead-bread-bowls/

For this recipe, you just whisk together flour, yeast, salt, and water for a minute, then let it sit (covered with plastic wrap) for 14 hours. After that, cut the dough in half, shape it into whatever style loaf you want, and let it sit for 15 minutes while you preheat the oven to 450F with a 2-quart dutch oven inside. Then put the dough in (carefully) & bake for 30 minutes with the lid & another 15 minutes without the lid. Your total hands-on time is only maybe three minutes total...stir the stuff, cut in half & shape into a loaf, and cut it after letting it cool. Pretty convenient way to have fresh bread all the time, which goes great with Instant Pot meals!

midwestfisherman

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2003
:sneaky: :eek: o_O :cool:

bud_mm_gdp.jpg

Purple Haze?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Instant Pot sounds like the brand name of some kind of coffee enhancer.

Instant Pot Coffee Enhancer
Make every work morning a Friday afternoon(tm)

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Still on the hunt for a good turkey chili with a little kick suggestion.

V00DOO

Diamond Member
Dec 2, 2000
I also bought an IP on Prime Day. I haven't use it yet, glad some bump this old thread to give me some ideas.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Funny it was the top seller on Amazon - I bought one only because of a post here. Don't know when I'll use it.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Still on the hunt for a good turkey chili with a little kick suggestion.

5 strips of bacon
brown 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey (don't drain the bacon grease)
add kosher salt & pepper to taste
1tsp nutmeg
2tsp curry powder
1tbsp oregano
2tbsp dehydrated onion flakes
1tbsp granulated garlic
1 12oz can of chili sauce
2 cups water

not sure how to translate this to work in the IP, but this is by far the best turkey chili I've ever had. If you don't eat regular bacon, turkey bacon would be suffice.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Okay, so I think I've mastered whole-pot yogurt-making in the Instant Pot (making yogurt in individual jars is for another post!). This is the basic concept:

1. Boil the milk to get rid of any competing bacteria
2. Let it cool down to around 115F & then stir in some yogurt starter (usually a little bit of yogurt from the store or leftover from your last batch)
3. Incubate it for 10 to 24 hours to let the yogurt bacteria grow in a nice, warm environment (length depends on how tart you like it, longer = more sour)
4. Strain it (you can make gogurt, yogurt, or Greek yogurt depending on the amount of time spent letting it drip)

I use a 6-quart Instant Pot 7-in-1, currently $120 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Multi-Functional-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/

For reading temperature, I use a knockoff Thermapen instant-read thermometer: ($26 vs. $136)

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Accurate-High-Performing-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B00OXHQL3Q/

Silicone whisk: ($10...silicone is so the yogurt doesn't pick up the metal taste from regular whisks)

https://www.amazon.com/Wired-Whisk-Silicone-Set-Stainless/dp/B012P1BBQS/

Yogurt strainer: ($19...same idea as a salad spinner, just with a mesh net inside the inner bowl)

https://www.amazon.com/Euro-Cuisine-GY50-Greek-Yogurt/dp/B0091XNL0I/

The Instant Pot uses induction heating, so it doesn't scald the milk & will beep when done. For supplies, all you need is two things:

1. Half-gallon of whole milk (you can fit a whole gallon, but my yogurt strainer bowl can only handle a couple quarts of yogurt at a time, so I just do half a gallon per batch).

2. Small tub of plain Greek yogurt with live cultures

This is the process in detail:

1. Add 1/2 gallon of whole milk to the Instant Pot & let it boil (it's automatic - 20 to 60 minutes depending on temperature of the milk, ambient temperature, etc.). Just hit the Yogurt button on the machine twice, until it says Boil (note: only do one boil; I've done a double-boil & you get little hard chunks in the yogurt that are like coconut bits).

2. Let the milk cool down to around 115F (nice & warm for the yogurt bacteria to start partying). It takes an hour or so if you take the pot out & let it sit on the counter, or about 5 minutes if you use the sink trick. The sink trick is: put a plug in your sink, put the Instant Pot's removable inner pot in the sink, and fill the sink (not the pot) with cold water. In about 5 minutes, use the whisk to stir the milk around (this eliminates any hotspots, which will give inaccurate temperature readings) & see if you're at 115F (90F to 120F is an acceptable range, just not so hot it kills the yogurt starter!).

3. Once you get down to that temperature, dry off the pot, put it back in the Instant Pot, and whisk in the yogurt starter. For your first batch, just dump in a small thing of plain Greek yogurt. For subsequent batches, keep a bit of yogurt on the side for the starter, since it already has the yogurt bacteria in it...as long as you do that, you'll never have to buy yogurt again! Bonus, you can freeze it in ice cube trays so you have frozen starter available.

4. Incubate it for 10 to 24 hours. That basically just keeps the milk nice & warm so the yogurt bacteria can multiply. The longer you incubate, the more sour & tart the yogurt will become. If you are into probiotics, one cup of 24-hour incubated yogurt has 708 billion bacteria (vs. the $35 pack of probiotic capsules at the store that only have 50-billion & probably closer to 20 billion by the time you get them):

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/detail/homemade-yogurt/

Also, if you want parfait-style sweet yogurt, whisk in 1/4 cup of sugar (or however much you like) after incubation but before straining. This makes it tastes like a McDonald's parfait (note: I tried adding sugar before incubation, but the sweet flavor was entirely gone after incubating).

5. Once the incubation is done, whisk it for a minute to make it smooth & then strain for a set period of time. You're basically separating the whey (liquid) from the yogurt, which then controls the thickness of the yogurt. You can use cheesecloth, a nut-milk bag (basically a cheesecloth bag), or a strainer bowl. I like the strainer bowl because it's easy to do with just one person, has a lid, and you can stick it in the fridge overnight if you like really thick yogurt. Plus a quality nut-milk strainer bag is ten bucks anyway, and for another nine dollars you can have a hassle-free yogurt-straining system.

Strain time depends on what you like & how the batch turned out. If you strain it for a few minutes, you get Gogurt, which is really liquidy, drinkable yogurt. They sell food pouches if you want to DIY for snacks or kid's meals:

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Food-Pouch-Pack-Homemade/dp/B00TXBSHBQ/

Starting at about 30 minutes, enough liquid whey drains out that you start to get pudding-like yogurt. After an hour, it starts getting into custard-thickness for Greek yogurt. If you like it really thick, just stick the strainer bowl in the fridge overnight. After straining, spoon it into an airtight storage container, such as a mason jar or Thermos. Also, don't throw away the liquid whey, it works similar to buttermilk (i.e. pancakes!). Here's some ideas for stuff you can use the whey for:

http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/recipes-with-yogurt/18-ways-to-use-whey-a-by-product-of-greek-yogurt

So at this point, you will have a flavorless, plain yogurt (maybe a tart plain yogurt if you incubated it for awhile) that you can dress up to your liking. My current favorite combo is putting two spoonfuls of raspberry jam in a mason jar, filling it with yogurt & berries, and topping it with crushed Cracklin' Oat Bran cereal. Mix it all together with your spoon & you get a nice little breakfast parfait or mid-afternoon protein snack. You can also use the yogurt to make frozen yogurt (lots of recipes on Pinterest & Serious Eats), as well as a bunch of other stuff like naan, smoothies, baked goods, etc. Unflavored sour yogurt can also be substituted into Mexican dishes for sour cream. Also, according to google, one cup of plain Greek yogurt has about 17 grams of protein in it, so it makes a pretty good healthy meal.

As far as planning ahead, I work mine around my work schedule. When I wake up, I'll boil the milk (~30 minutes), then cool it down in the sink quickly (~5 minutes), stir in the yogurt starter, and let it incubate while I'm at work. To save myself the hassle of coming home long after the incubation is done, I simply set it to 24 hours so that if I get home 8 hours later or 12 hours later it doesn't really matter, it just gets a little bit more tart. From there, lately I've just been dumping it in my straining bowl & letting it sit in the fridge overnight. So basically you start one batch in the morning & can eat it the next morning.

It varies how much you get out of it (straining can reduce volume quite a bit), but half a gallon can make up to a quart or so, which is enough for a couple days, so you can just make a batch every few days & always have fresh, cheap, zero-filler, customized yogurt on-hand. Actual prep time is maybe 5 minutes total...(1) dump milk in & press boil button, (2) let it chill down to 115F & stir in yogurt starter, (3) pour it into strainer, and (4) pour it into storage containers. So it's very little actual hands-on time in terms of work, it's just spread out over time. If you like to do minimal work for a good output, you should check out both bread machine bread & no-knead bread. A couple starter links:

http://catch42.pbworks.com/w/page/91703094/Ridefree

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

I like to make bread just about every day. RideFree's 13-cent loaf takes all of 2 minute's worth of prep a night. No-knead takes about a minute at night (hand-stir the ingredients together & cover), then another minute the next day to poof out the air & let it rise, and then the bake time in the oven (it's an entirely different type of bread from a bread machine loaf tho). So if you don't mind a little planning ahead, you can have stuff like fresh bread & homemade yogurt available every day with minimal effort & at a nice little cost-savings. Also, if you have an Instant Pot & you're into eggs, you can make soft, medium, and hardboiled eggs REALLY easily:

https://instantpot.com/tag/hard-boiled-eggs/

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/cracked-soft-medium-and-hard-boiled-eggs-in-the-pressure-cooker/

http://healthyfamilycookin.blogspot.com/2011/04/pressure-cooker-hard-boiled-eggs.html

Special note, pressure-cooking them makes them pretty easy to peel too!

http://www.homemademommy.net/2015/12/easiest-peel-hard-boiled-eggs-instant-pot.html

Hardboiled eggs make great snacks with a little salt on top, as well as sliced into salads, chopped into egg salad, making egg-salad sandwiches, etc. Man, I love these little machines, they make life so much easier! :thumbsup:

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Kaido, do you brown your meat in a separate pain before you pressure cook it? I tried browning chicken leg quarters in Saut'e mode, but with the amount of chicken, i had to brown about 1-2 legs at a time, which took a bit of time to do, and then pressure cook them for 20 minutes (will reduce to 15 minutes next time i make chicken).

Also, about the yogurt starter, which brand yogurt do you suggest? Is there enough live bacteria in the store bought yogurt to make a good batch of yogurt? If i vacum seal the starter yogurt in a mason jar, would that kill the live cultures?

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Really excellent introduction to the Instant Pot:

http://selfreliantschool.com/srstv006/

4. Instant Pot Cups Don’t Equal U.S. Cups–The measurements in the insert and the measuring cup are not U.S. customary units. They are smaller. So the plastic cup is not a U.S. cup and the marks on the inside are not U.S. cups either.

I just ran into this last night while making some roasted garlic hummus. It called for 1/4C warm water. When I added it and blended, it didn't seem right. Had to add more water and was worried I might overdo it. Why would IP make their "1C" different from the rest of the entire country? :confused: I guess I won't be using that measuring cup anymore. :colbert:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Kaido, do you brown your meat in a separate pain before you pressure cook it? I tried browning chicken leg quarters in Saut'e mode, but with the amount of chicken, i had to brown about 1-2 legs at a time, which took a bit of time to do, and then pressure cook them for 20 minutes (will reduce to 15 minutes next time i make chicken).

Also, about the yogurt starter, which brand yogurt do you suggest? Is there enough live bacteria in the store bought yogurt to make a good batch of yogurt? If i vacum seal the starter yogurt in a mason jar, would that kill the live cultures?

Depends on how much meat I'm cooking. Like if it's a huge piece of pork, I'll just put my 12" cast-iron skillet on the stovetop range & roll it around there instead (easier to control that way).

Yeah, you have to make every dish a few times to nail down exactly what works. My first cheesecake was inedible lol. I can't confirm but I suspect that the moistness of the meat also has to do with your altitude, humidity level, etc. because I've follow some IP recipes spot-on that came out kinda dry, so I have to reduce the cooking time. I just did my first pork tenderloin dish in the IP & it was pretty dry...going to cut the cook time in half next time (I'll post the recipe once I figure it out perfectly...the sauce was pretty good, garlic-lime!).

Anything that is (1) Greek yogurt, (2) plain (no flavorings), and (3) has live cultures. I think I used Dannon Oikos or Chobani for the first batch of my starter. All you need is one of those small dollar snack tubs they sell by the cheese section. After that, just fill up a mason jar halfway with a few spoonfuls of your finished yogurt batch, put the lid on, and stick it in your fridge for your next batch...you never have to buy yogurt again! (or freeze it into an ice cube tray, that works too). I've been making batches at least twice a week for the past couple of weeks & am definitely keeping this as a regular part of my weekly cooking routine. The nice thing is, a half-gallon of milk is around 2 bucks & can make a good quart or so of yogurt, so if you don't mind working the timing into your routine, you can have cheap, preservative-free yogurt flavored however you like. Oh yeah, and if anyone is looking for amazing honey as a topping for yogurt, my favorite is Tupelo honey. VERY sweet honey. I buy it from here:

http://www.smileyhoney.com/collections/tupelo-honey-for-sale

Edit: 12% off coupon code "Colors" @ checkout, good until July 31st

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
4. Instant Pot Cups Don’t Equal U.S. Cups–The measurements in the insert and the measuring cup are not U.S. customary units. They are smaller. So the plastic cup is not a U.S. cup and the marks on the inside are not U.S. cups either.

I just ran into this last night while making some roasted garlic hummus. It called for 1/4C warm water. When I added it and blended, it didn't seem right. Had to add more water and was worried I might overdo it. Why would IP make their "1C" different from the rest of the entire country? :confused: I guess I won't be using that measuring cup anymore. :colbert:

I threw mine away & just use my regular set. I don't bother with weird measurement stuff :p

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
I threw mine away & just use my regular set. I don't bother with weird measurement stuff :p

The question is... if you follow a recipe in the IP recipe book and something calls for 1 Cup, what do you?!?!! Because IP 1C =/= Entire country 1C. Now that you've thrown it away, you're doomed. The recipe is forever trashed. :D