Schweet

Aug 29, 2016
Hello everyone,

I've got a new build in the works here, the parts are on the way if not here already, and I am preparing a bootable windows iso usb that also has my drivers on it (i think that works but let me know if there are issues with doing that).

I've placed the latest GPU drivers on it, but I'm much more confused when it comes to the MOBO drivers. Here's the download site for my motherboard:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5498#dl
(windows 10 64 bit btw)

it's the Gigabyte Gaming 5 z170x, but I'm not sure if it's rev 1.0 or 1.1, which I might not be able to find out until it gets here and I look at the physical board. Is there some guarantee that it would be 1.1 because I got it so recently?

I see the following drivers for it:
Audio:
-Realtek HD Audio Driver
-Creative SB X-Fi driver
Chipset:
-Intel Management Engine Interface
-Intel INF installation
LAN:
-BigFoot LAN driver
SATA RAID/AHCI:
-Intel SATA Preinstall driver
-Intel® Rapid Storage Technology
-Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5
USB 3.1:
-Thunderbolt Driver
VGA:
-Intel VGA Driver
WLAN+BT:
-BT Driver
-WLAN Driver

Should I download all of these onto the USB stick? Or just the LAN one and then download the rest? Or just the LAN and Chipset, and then download the rest? Or, are there some of them I don't need at all?

Also, what's the order of things here? Is it:

1) Boot and Install Win10
2) Install LAN and Chipset drivers from USB
3) Restart?
4) Install all the windows updates (repeatedly restarting)
5) Install the rest of the mobo drivers
6) Install the GPU drivers

Or should 5 and maybe 6 be done at the same time as 2?

I'm pretty thick when it comes to drivers, and all the tutorials I have been able to look up, written and on youtube, are assuming a lot of knowledge on my part when it comes to what exactly needs to be installed, and in what order.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

Schweet

Aug 29, 2016
Additionally, I don't want to run into the scenario where the default windows graphics driver interferes with the specific driver for my discrete gpu. Does that take care of itself when I install the GPU drivers? Or, do I need to manually block the installation of microsoft's default graphics drivers?

gpu is a gtx 1070 btw

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Now a days it does not really matter as much as it used to in what order the drivers are installed.
I usually do - Chipset, Storage, Lan, Video, then the rest, all before any windows updates as well
Unless there is a prerequisite like the .Net Framework. But with 10 it ships with 4.5 i believe by default
Cant look at the moment on mine. Even the I would just grab the offline installer for it

I would download the latest and put them on a stick and run them from there

Schweet

Aug 29, 2016
Ok Thanks.

The drivers page for my MOBO does include Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5, but when you say "with 10 it ships" you mean with windows 10? That seems to be true from what I'm reading, in fact win10 might ship with 4.6 now, so I guess I should NOT install that one?

Also, there are two other drivers under SATA:
1) Intel SATA Preinstall driver
(For AHCI / RAID Mode)
Note: Windows setup to read from USB thumb drive.
2) Intel® Rapid Storage Technology
(Note) Please install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 first.

I see that AHCI > IDE and newer, and definitely what you want on a new build, but what does the note that says "Windows setup to read from USB thumb drive" mean? Can't all of these drivers be read from a USB? Is there something different I have to do with this one?

Also, I have a Samsung 850 EVO, and apparently the firmware for that is updated via Magician, so should I install magician on there with the rest of the drivers? or after the windows updates?

One last thing is that I am nervous about win10 default video drivers interfering with my discrete GPU drivers. How do I avoid this?

thanks again

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Ok Thanks.

The drivers page for my MOBO does include Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5, but when you say "with 10 it ships" you mean with windows 10? That seems to be true from what I'm reading, in fact win10 might ship with 4.6 now, so I guess I should NOT install that one?
Yes sorry, I did mean that Windows 10 ships with Net framework 4.6 already installed.

Also, there are two other drivers under SATA:
1) Intel SATA Preinstall driver
(For AHCI / RAID Mode)
Note: Windows setup to read from USB thumb drive.
2) Intel® Rapid Storage Technology
(Note) Please install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 first.

I see that AHCI > IDE and newer, and definitely what you want on a new build, but what does the note that says "Windows setup to read from USB thumb drive" mean? Can't all of these drivers be read from a USB? Is there something different I have to do with this one?
If you where installing say windows 7 it may not detect the hard drive, which you would need to add the Preinstall Driver.
With Windows 10, it should be fine

Also, I have a Samsung 850 EVO, and apparently the firmware for that is updated via Magician, so should I install magician on there with the rest of the drivers? or after the windows updates?
It can be installed at any time. should not matter before or after all the drivers

One last thing is that I am nervous about win10 default video drivers interfering with my discrete GPU drivers. How do I avoid this?
thanks again
It installs the Microsoft generic drivers for the card, which does not have any issues once you install the actual GPU drivers.

Schweet

Aug 29, 2016
Thank you for your time!

Another question:
Am I supposed to install the bigfoot LAN driver or the Intel LAN Driver? My MOBO downloads page comes with both (although I only showed one above). It looks like I am just supposed to choose one? Supposedly Bigfoot is for Killer, which is maybe a little faster but also maybe less stable?

And, just to be absolutely clear here with the storage drivers:

SATA RAID/AHCI:
-Intel SATA Preinstall driver (NOT necessary with windows 10)
-Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (NOT necessary with windows 10)

So, all I need to install for storage drivers is the Intel rapid storage technology and Samsung Magician?

thanks again for your patience

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Thank you for your time!

Another question:
Am I supposed to install the bigfoot LAN driver or the Intel LAN Driver? ..
Correct you would need both, as that motherboard comes the the two.

And, just to be absolutely clear here with the storage drivers:
SATA RAID/AHCI:
-Intel SATA Preinstall driver (NOT necessary with windows 10)
-Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (NOT necessary with windows 10)

So, all I need to install for storage drivers is the Intel rapid storage technology and Samsung Magician?

thanks again for your patience
Correct

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If you have a "Killer NIC", as I do (ASRock B150 Gaming K4/Hyper), then do yourself a favor and track down the "non-Killer" drivers. They are more standard NIC drivers, without the added software layers and complexity. If you're not a heavy gamer, you don't need those things.

Schweet

Aug 29, 2016
If you have a "Killer NIC", as I do (ASRock B150 Gaming K4/Hyper), then do yourself a favor and track down the "non-Killer" drivers. They are more standard NIC drivers, without the added software layers and complexity. If you're not a heavy gamer, you don't need those things.

So you're saying I should install:
-Intel LAN driver
AND
-some alternative to the BigFoot LAN driver

or should I install
-Intel LAN driver
OR
-some alternative to the BigFoot LAN driver

where would I find such an alternative. I think the link for my motherboards download:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5498#dl
just includes the driver and not extra software.