Insight into Trump's base

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Brandon, that site asks the question that Eski already answered for you. He cannot be prosecuted. I wish it weren't so. Don't embarrass yourself by denying objective reality.

It shows that there are no SOLs and he could be prosecuted.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

That's the CURRENT LAW. For Moore the question is what the law was at the time the offense was committed and at that point there was a SOL. Did you bother to read my article? You can't change the law after the fact and then go back and prosecute someone.

At the time, the statute of limitations for bringing felony charges involving sexual abuse of a minor would have expired three years after the alleged incidents, or sometime between 1980 and 1983. Neither Corfman nor Jones filed a police report after the alleged incidents and no charges were ever brought against Moore.

Alabama law was later changed to remove the statute of limitations for "any sex offense involving a victim under 16 years of age." However, the change only applied to crimes committed before Jan. 7, 1985 -years after the alleged Moore incidents- for which there were no existing statute of limitations law, meaning Moore couldn't be brought up on criminal charges now in connection to sexual abuse charges from 1977 to 1979.

Looks like you'll have to find a new way to act as an apologist for this sex offender, huh.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
It shows that there are no SOLs and he could be prosecuted.

I asked you not to embarrass yourself and you went and embarrassed yourself.

In both your link and Eski's link we find:

b) The amendments made by this act shall apply:

(1) To all crimes committed after January 7, 1985; and

(2) To all crimes committed before January 7, 1985, for which no statute of limitations provided under pre-existing law has run as of January 7, 1985.

The statute of limitations on Moores crimes had run out PRIOR to January, 1985.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
That's the CURRENT LAW. For Moore the question is what the law was at the time the offense was committed and at that point there was a SOL. Did you bother to read my article? You can't change the law after the fact and then go back and prosecute someone.

Looks like you'll have to find a new way to act as an apologist for this sex offender, huh.

At this point I don't believe it is bias problem on his part, I think he may have a problem with reading comprehension. I don't mean that in a mean way. I have family members who wouldn't understand it either.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
At this point I don't believe it is bias problem on his part, I think he may have a problem with reading comprehension. I don't mean that in a mean way. I have family members who wouldn't understand it either.

That's possible, although this is the same guy who has somehow convinced himself that winning a senate seat in Alabama is a sign of trouble for the Democrats. He's pretty deep in the fever swamps.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Similar vein to what I've thought on this subject: when the mine closed and the jobs dried up, did they ever think about moving to where there are jobs? Here they are, sitting in bumblefuck waiting for Godot every day instead of actually taking action when it was needed. For generations, people have got up and moved when economic opportunity slumped near their homes. What makes these people so special that they don't have to do that?

Nothing. But if I put myself in their shoes, I can imagine that I would feel as though I was not wanted elsewhere.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Although this is an academic discussion because, in fact, Roy Moore could not be prosecuted for these alleged crimes, I'd like to point out something different.

Rape trials can be very traumatizing to victims. The decision to press charges ethically must consider the state of the victim and their wishes. Although I very much would like Roy Moore to face prosecution for any credible sexual assault allegations against him, I would not think it moral to attempt to influence the choice to bring such a case without specific support from the victim of such a trauma.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Similar vein to what I've thought on this subject: when the mine closed and the jobs dried up, did they ever think about moving to where there are jobs? Here they are, sitting in bumblefuck waiting for Godot every day instead of actually taking action when it was needed. For generations, people have got up and moved when economic opportunity slumped near their homes. What makes these people so special that they don't have to do that?

That's victim blaming. Just because you move doesn't mean you won't be poor when you get there. There are more poor people in LA County than in all of W Virginia.

The demand for human labor at all levels is falling away because of technological advances & higher efficiency. Capitalists don't need nearly as much of it percentage wise as they once did. As a society, we've failed to seek just compensation for job loss in the form of higher taxes on the ownership class & more benefits for the citizenry. It's the only way ordinary Americans will get anything other than smaller & smaller slices of the pie.

Mar 11, 2004
Living in a superfund site is actually not a major issue for tech workers, since Silicon Valley is a giant superfund site anyways:
https://qz.com/1017181/silicon-vall...ites-in-santa-clara-than-any-other-us-county/

Seriously, that's your response to my post? I mean, its not like that's my point or anything...you know how, I said that unless there's big monetary reasons to develop an area. Silicon Valley and cities just might have that, don't you think? Yet you think somehow there's going to be hundreds of millions in sustained development for areas that have dozens of people to try and bring in hipster professionals? Maybe decades in the future we'll see dispersion, as wireless technology and transportation advancements (among other things, access to decent medical facilities is pretty important too, and uh, those are languishing quite a bit in rural areas these days as well) makes it so people can live more isolate but retain the benefits of modern world without much fuss.

Also, uh, did you read your own article?

In many cases, cleanup was completed

Plus, superfund sites are not created equal. The amount left by a manufacturing plant tends to be a little bit less than clearing mountains and having giant pits, or mines that snake through an area. Or at least is concentrated in a smaller area. Plus, people in Silicon Valley aren't really "living in a superfund site", they might work near fairly small ones (that were often cleaned up, well about as good as they could be, or are part of an ongoing processing of), but even then most of them are pretty insulated. Not that it makes it ok (and absolutely there's serious issues with toxicity in the environment in and around cities too), but its not even close to the same level.

Mar 11, 2004
Brandon, that site asks the question that Eski already answered for you. He cannot be prosecuted. I wish it weren't so. Don't embarrass yourself by denying objective reality.

I assume they're trying to dismiss the allegations legitimacy because Moore isn't being charged with crimes?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Seriously, that's your response to my post? I mean, its not like that's my point or anything...you know how, I said that unless there's big monetary reasons to develop an area. Silicon Valley and cities just might have that, don't you think? Yet you think somehow there's going to be hundreds of millions in sustained development for areas that have dozens of people to try and bring in hipster professionals? Maybe decades in the future we'll see dispersion, as wireless technology and transportation advancements (among other things, access to decent medical facilities is pretty important too, and uh, those are languishing quite a bit in rural areas these days as well) makes it so people can live more isolate but retain the benefits of modern world without much fuss.

Also, uh, did you read your own article?

Plus, superfund sites are not created equal. The amount left by a manufacturing plant tends to be a little bit less than clearing mountains and having giant pits, or mines that snake through an area. Or at least is concentrated in a smaller area. Plus, people in Silicon Valley aren't really "living in a superfund site", they might work near fairly small ones (that were often cleaned up, well about as good as they could be, or are part of an ongoing processing of), but even then most of them are pretty insulated. Not that it makes it ok (and absolutely there's serious issues with toxicity in the environment in and around cities too), but its not even close to the same level.

People are living on top of superfund sites related to former chip manufacturing with toxic chemicals still evaporating, and houses there are selling for well over a million dollars that are right on top of it.
https://ww2.kqed.org/futureofyou/20...eys-toxic-past-haunts-sunnyvale-neighborhood/
When TCE is present in groundwater, it can turn to vapor, seeping through cracks in building frames and into homes and classrooms. Short-term exposure can cause slowed breathing, light-headedness and headaches; over the longer term, TCE exposure causes cancer, particularly kidney cancer and non-Hodgkin lymphoma. And in 2011, a study appeared to show that fetuses exposed to TCE in the first trimester have a higher risk of heart defects at birth.
Anyways, pollution is of course bad, but the worst problem for Appalachia is not chemical pollution, but pollution by conservative biomass.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Right wing trolls never are Republicans, oddly enough, at least according to them.

On Anandtech I have noticed most of the Trump apologists claim to not be actual Republicans. So like, I have no idea why they make excuses for Trump.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Trump's base? there are several groups, each one with a profile defined by a list of attitudes, beliefs, favorite myths, personal gripes, and different perceptions of "personal interest" versus "public interests."

I just have no sympathy for most of them, beyond their economic condition as they may see it. Trump waltzes in, gives voice to their anger as he determines which direction the wind of their anger blows. And the descendants of the Mine Wars veterans throw their support behind a 2-percenter scam artist and swindler like Trump?

There are others among those groups -- or an overlapping world view between some of them that argues for "someone to get in there and shake things up." But neither Trump nor the cornpone constituency knows "what's in the box" that they want to shake. It's as though someone put some Waterford crystal in a box with some jagged rocks. Neither Trump nor the constituency has a clear idea of any surgical precision for saving the crystal. Who cares? We're mad! Let's throw in with a Putin puppet and Traitor! Because -- we've been betrayed!

Also, look at this in conjunction with their constant mantra about the "Liberal Media" and fake news. Where did they get their information about the Benghazi Committee hearings (and witch-hunt)? Where did they get their information about Benghazi? Or about Hillary's e-mail server? They got it from "The Liberal Media." And the Committee, the long drawn-out speculations about the e-mail server, were all hype, without a consideration about what it really meant. Like I"d told many -- I've deleted millions of e-mails from Sears and COSTCO. There's no "There" there in those stories. But the suckers believed it: I ALMOST believed it!

Damage is being done, even as the focus groups express their regrets.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
we've failed to seek just compensation for job loss in the form of higher taxes on the ownership class & more benefits for the citizenry. It's the only way ordinary Americans will get anything other than smaller & smaller slices of the pie.

And Trump promised to bring this? I don't doubt that these people have shitty lives. My problem is with the fact that for some reason they believed Trump would fix it! He just said "Jobs! mines!", with no plans for what to do. And if he did it was total nonsense. You've heard the man talk unfiltered, it's literally verbal diareah gibberish! If somebody is selling me something I don't hand them money until I'm sure they can deliver! How could these people trust a man who lies constantly, and you can see that after 5 min of research

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
And Trump promised to bring this? I don't doubt that these people have shitty lives. My problem is with the fact that for some reason they believed Trump would fix it! He just said "Jobs! mines!", with no plans for what to do. And if he did it was total nonsense. You've heard the man talk unfiltered, it's literally verbal diareah gibberish! If somebody is selling me something I don't hand them money until I'm sure they can deliver! How could these people trust a man who lies constantly, and you can see that after 5 min of research
I don't pay until after they have delivered.