Insanity, ouch!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
I just finished my first round of insanity, it took me about 3 months to complete it. I tweaked my neck during the recovery week so that set me back a week, then christmas holidays came around. completed the second half having to skip a few days due to work schedule etc. I can say that my results are great. my weight is the same (162, 5'8) but i have so much more strength and endurance. I look much more tone as well. I went snowboarding recently and I was able to do so much better than i've ever had before. I also completed p90x about 3 months before i started insanity. i'm thinking about either doing the second half again or going to an insanity/p90x hybrid.

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
I know this is an old thread, but just poking my head in here after finding it via search. I wonder how the OP's doing?

I started Insanity with a friend like a year ago, we didn't get very far (we were enjoying it, but work schedules mucked it up, blah blah excuses).

I started it again two weeks ago on my own, and am having a great time. Shaun kicks my ass really hard, as everyone else has said. My biggest concern right now comes from some googling (as concerns often do). There are some people posting reviews/blogs about how terribly injury-causing Insanity can be. Lots of discussion on back, knee, wrist injuries resulting from the workout. I'll be honest: I'm not overly worried about knee or back problems, but I'm a professional pianist so shoulder/wrist injuries would be a BIG problem for me. So far, I haven't had any pain other than normal workout-soreness, but I'm only on week 3 and some people write about problems not setting on until weeks after they finish.

I use pushup bars to keep my wrists in line, take more breaks than the people on the video and try to go at my own pace (while still pushing myself pretty hard). I confess I skip a couple exercises that just seem like a bad idea for a pianist (tricep dips, V pushups). Do the gurus here think I'll be fine so long as I pace myself and listen to my body with this workout routine? I want to keep getting in shape, but I'm paranoid about screwing up my career over it...

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
yes, if i were you i'd just skip or go easy on the routines you are uncomfortable doing. Out of all of the excercises though, I dont really see how doing a tricep dip can injure you though. just go slow on it i guess. I've done another round of insanity, and also moved on to my second round of Focus T25, which IMO is much easier than insanity but also much quicker, only 25 minutes of my day and it's helping me maintain being in good shape.