Inflation adjusted gas prices 1918-2008

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: blackangst1
I predict states will remove themselves from the nation, and national unemployment to hit 25%

Of course it wont be soon, but eventually it will happen. I told you so's will be in order. I am a prophet.
I'm going with Time's prediction that countries will be delineated by religion. If evangelicals had their own country instead of taking over the US (see: Ohio election), then we would at least have a country to blame for the mess that is the Iraq war (and oil companies ripping us off).

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Thump553
I was watching a panel discussion on CSPAN over the weekend and one of the panelists mentioned that oil now chnages hands an average of 22 times between the ground and the pump. He was arguing that this "excess liquidity" (ie, speculation) is much of the cause of of gas, diesel, etc. price increases recently.

Frankly, I like someone to explain to me what harm would be caused by the government tamping down on the oil futures market by raising margin requirements, etc. They did it with silver after the Hunt brothers tried to corner that market, it can be done with oil as well.

Intersting:

The Hunt Brothers and the Silver Bubble

In 1973, the Hunt family of Texas, possibly the richest family in America at the time, decided to buy precious metals as a hedge against inflation.

Gold could not be held by private citizens at that time, so the Hunts began to buy silver in enormous quantity.

In 1979 the sons of patriarch H.L. Hunt, Nelson Bunker and William Herbert, together with some wealthy Arabs, formed a silver pool.

In a short period of time they had amassed more than 200 million ounces of silver, equivalent to half the world's deliverable supply.

When the Hunt's had begun accumulating silver back in 1973 the price was in the $1.95 / ounce range. Early in '79, the price was about $5. Late '79 / early '80 the price was in the $50's, peaking at $54.

Once the silver market was cornered, outsiders joined the chase but a combination of changed trading rules on the New York Metals Market (COMEX) and the intervention of the Federal Reserve put an end to the game.

The price began to slide, culminating in a 50% one-day decline on March 27, 1980 as the price plummeted from $21.62 to $10.80.

The collapse of the silver market meant countless losses for speculators. The Hunt brothers declared bankruptcy. By 1987 their liabilities had grown to nearly $2.5 billion against assets of $1.5 billion. In August of 1988 the Hunts were convicted of conspiring to manipulate the market.
=================================================

This "Oil Surge scam" looks to be Hunt Brothers part II

Notice the players are the same, only instead of silver it is oil.

Still calling them "our friends"?

So what did the Federal Reserve do to "put an end to the game"?

I have been saying all aong that the oil industry folks are criminals.

Looks like they are just as guilty as the silver scam of 1973-1980.

Thanks Thump :thumbsup:

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Congress only has 1 role in this debacle, continuing to fund an unwinnable conflict.

Gee did anyone notice that anytime a car bomb goes off in Baghdad, the price of oil spikes? Or everytime we make a veiled threat to bomb Iran the price spikes?

Must be a correlation there somewhere, maybe someone can help me out, I can't connect the dots....why.......

.....because I'm a serial denier concerning the role of the Iraq war and our entire Middle East policy in energy prices.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
One thing that I keep thinkng about is the 2006 elections...The price of gas was in the mid-$3.50 range until a couple of months before the elections, then dropped quickly to about $2/gallon, then, right after the elections, the price started climbing and climbing...what's the cause behind those events? Obviously the world didn't all of a sudden, stop using oil...then start using it again at a MUCH higher rate...

Why are we Americans being charged the same prices for oil from US oil wells that we are for oil bought on the world market? Shouldn't that oil be MUCH cheaper? After all, it does belong to the American people...(maybe it's time to nationalize the US oil industry.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: BoomerD
One thing that I keep thinkng about is the 2006 elections...The price of gas was in the mid-$3.50 range until a couple of months before the elections, then dropped quickly to about $2/gallon, then, right after the elections, the price started climbing and climbing...what's the cause behind those events? Obviously the world didn't all of a sudden, stop using oil...then start using it again at a MUCH higher rate...

Why are we Americans being charged the same prices for oil from US oil wells that we are for oil bought on the world market? Shouldn't that oil be MUCH cheaper?

After all, it does belong to the American people...

maybe it's time to nationalize the US oil industry.

:lips: :heart:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: ayabe
Congress only has 1 role in this debacle, continuing to fund an unwinnable conflict.

Gee did anyone notice that anytime a car bomb goes off in Baghdad, the price of oil spikes? Or everytime we make a veiled threat to bomb Iran the price spikes?

Must be a correlation there somewhere, maybe someone can help me out, I can't connect the dots....why.......

.....because I'm a serial denier concerning the role of the Iraq war and our entire Middle East policy in energy prices.

Actually other things happend too. When I flipped off a driver for cutting me off oil rose at that moment! When I told my manager he was full of shit, within 5 mins oil rose too. But, when I dropped my donation into Harvest Home's mail slot, oil fell a little.

The correlation: do more good things.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

Actually other things happend too. When I flipped off a driver for cutting me off oil rose at that moment! When I told my manager he was full of shit, within 5 mins oil rose too. But, when I dropped my donation into Harvest Home's mail slot, oil fell a little.

Pretty weak man. Another serial denier flopping in your own filthy ignorance.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Pretty weak man. Another serial denier flopping in your own filthy ignorance.

Un-pucker your ass please. This was sarcasm.

Im not sure what you mean by serial denier (I guess thats the new word of the month)? What exactly am I or have I denied? Or are you going to accuse and run?

And what exactly am I ignorant about? Or are you going to accuse and run?