India offers DSL to the mass for super cheap

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: raildogg

and no to mention the fact that their speeds are much higher than ours. our broadband companies, DSL and cable are only recently starting to up their speeds, but even with the new speeds we are wayyyyyyy below that of some of Europe and Japan and S Korea

Are you kidding, our Phone Co's have been going out of their way to lower speeds.

DSL lines crippled down and capped at 256K, beyond rediculous when the DSL Modem can do 8 meg down and 1 meg up.

It's bad enough they have capped the speed at 1.5 meg down and 256K up since I helped design the original DSL Modem that met the standard at 6 meg down and 1 meg up.

Sultan

Banned
Feb 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Aimster
India is the best country in the world.
I'm done here. Good luck with your pride.

i think you have a severe inferiority complex to start posting irrelevant information in any thread about India. India is one of the world's economic powerhouses. A few weeks ago, you were arguing with me about how it is the third largest economy in the world, while I suggested it was the 12th. And in this thread, you're just insisting it is a third world country. How can it be a third world country if it the THIRD LARGEST economy in the world according to you? Because it is dirty?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
India has also been succeeding at making excellent Utility and light attack helicopters and selling them also.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
When you guys discuss internet connectivity are you talking speed or access to internet?
Because DSL subscribers is more of a speed thing...rather than internet access.

Also i am surprised that Canada has one of the leading broadband pop as there is a large area of land.
This was sort of addressed in the OP with rural US cities.

Although it is worth noting that 1/3rd of Canadian pop. is in southern ontario area.
The most rural areas of any large landmass are always going to have a long wait for new technology.

Also im sure these rural communities still have internet access. Lets not fool ourselves that somehow one internet is better than the other if used for the right reasons.

Aug 14, 2001
One of the articles that someone linked to mentions Canada - it was ranked third.

Canada, in third place, falls into the second category. Nearly everyone chooses to live close to cities like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Ottawa along the not-quite-as-cold southern border.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Sultan

i think you have a severe inferiority complex to start posting irrelevant information in any thread about India. India is one of the world's economic powerhouses. A few weeks ago, you were arguing with me about how it is the third largest economy in the world, while I suggested it was the 12th. And in this thread, you're just insisting it is a third world country. How can it be a third world country if it the THIRD LARGEST economy in the world according to you? Because it is dirty?

Good point. Every country has some *dirty* areas, even America does. Sure India is a bit more messier and chaotic, but I dont really know what he meant.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
i live in a sparse semi rural area.
every SINGLE person I know that is on dial-up is because they are too goddamn cheap to pay for either dsl or cable...
but not one of them has a problem paying for $70+ bagillion channel cable/satellite.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002

Good point. Every country has some *dirty* areas, even America does. Sure India is a bit more messier and chaotic, but I dont really know what he meant.
A bit?!...
as much as i disagree with Aimster that india is the sh!thole of the world...i am equaly in disagreement with you two that india is a serious technology and R&D powerhouse.

Sure they may be the third largest economy. But the vast majority are poor and make the world's crap.
Rank
We are talking about a country that ranks 156th in terms of gdp per capita.

The average indian has a gdp share 65% BELOW the global average.
As a country sure they are a huge power...but lets just understand realistically who we are talking about.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Stunt

A bit?!...
as much as i disagree with Aimster that india is the sh!thole of the world...i am equaly in disagreement with you two that india is a serious technology and R&D powerhouse.

Sure they may be the third largest economy. But the vast majority are poor and make the world's crap.
Rank

As a country sure they are a huge power...but lets just understand realistically who we are talking about.

agreed. but when you take into account how bad India was only a few years ago, its a major achievement. Also, your right on the technology aspect, as majority of the people there are not affected by it, only the few educated ones are. But as more and more people start to get an education, things will improve, as they are at the moment

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002

A bit?!...

Rank

agreed. but when you take into account how bad India was only a few years ago, its a major achievement. Also, your right on the technology aspect, as majority of the people there are not affected by it, only the few educated ones are. But as more and more people start to get an education, things will improve, as they are at the moment
It's not that hard to improve when you have statistics like those. Any country with tons of cheap labour is benifiting from the US's outsourcing currently. If india wasnt improving i'd be utterly dumbfounded.

I think that improving infrastructure is key...not just the cheap types like phone/dsl lines but water, power, transporation etc.

India has an insanely long road ahead to even be considered a 2nd world country let alone be a competitive force.

Also you state how much they have improved...can you show me some of this crazy improvement you speak of...not just new internet lines :)

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004

A bit?!...

Rank

It's not that hard to improve when you have statistics like those. Any country with tons of cheap labour is benifiting from the US's outsourcing currently. If india wasnt improving i'd be utterly dumbfounded.

I think that improving infrastructure is key...not just the cheap types like phone/dsl lines but water, power, transporation etc.

India has an insanely long road ahead to even be considered a 2nd world country let alone be a competitive force.

Also you state how much they have improved...can you show me some of this crazy improvement you speak of...not just new internet lines :)

Well, millions of people are being pulled out of poverty each year. India already had the worlds largest middle class. A few years ago the literacy rate was about 52% or so its now about 62% if not a bit higher.

Also, this tsunami disaster has proved that India has the muscle to handle these kinds of things. India's navy is helping countries affected by this, as it deals with its own deaths. Also it has been sending aid to these nations and refusing aid from any country.

The thing is that as a whole, its a powerful country, but hundreds of people still go hungry, thats the sad part.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: zzzz
Aimster,
why are you so interested in India?

who said I am interested?
I bring up Iran's population to India and raildogg makes it into Iran vs India because I cannot compare the populations of two nations in a thread because one is "axil of evil" and run by "muslims".

Another I cannot mention India is 40% uneducated because that is an attack on India when that is the TRUTH. If it came from anyone else he would have ignored it, but noo I have Iranian blood in me.

Raildogg defends India with all he has, and when someone like me a "Iranian Muslim" says anything about India he will go off because me stating the facts is an attack.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
See "The Party" with Peter Sellers.

Ahh, Peter Sellers, ok. Haven't seen the movie, but from those that I've talked to that have, I hear it's quite a good comedy. I'm a huge fan of British humor, so I guess I should see this. Hopefully I'll understand your reply better once I do.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Aimster,

I bring up Iran's population to India and raildogg makes it into Iran vs India because I cannot compare the populations of two nations in a thread because one is "axil of evil" and run by "muslims".

Another I cannot mention India is 40% uneducated because that is an attack on India when that is the TRUTH. If it came from anyone else he would have ignored it, but noo I have Iranian blood in me.

Raildogg defends India with all he has, and when someone like me a "Iranian Muslim" says anything about India he will go off because me stating the facts is an attack.

liar liar

i never turned it into Iran vs India

and I defend with valid reasons, not made up stuff. also, others dont change topics and turn a thread into a pissing match the way you do, thats why

i dont care if your a Iranian or a muslim, what does that even have to do with anything?

no duh, 40% of India is uneducated, no breaking news there

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
Let's see another India vs. Iran trashing again.

Iran is dirty and ruled by extremists. ;)

Anyways, it's nice to see them do this, but it's probably still relatively expensive for these very poor people.

yes, and most dont even have a computer to begin with

Show me how Iran is dirty? Tehran is not a dirty city if it is show me so raildogg. Most have computers and most have Internet access. Did you really have to comment on that? You just have to prove India is SUPERIOR to every nation in that region.
How sick.

hmmmm ... so posting about a country that is offering broadband to the rural areas is saying that its superior to a region?? if thats how you want to think of it as, good for you. could care less

lol, isn't it funny how he got all defensive when I called Iran dirty?

Iran is dirty, poor, ruled by crazy extremists, and is a turd on the face of the earth.

People should post whatever they want, as long as it isn't incredibly offensive.

Because you are clueless and have no idea what you are talking about? You have no information or knowledge on the culture of iran or what the Iranian cities look like. You think bashing Iran is going to hurt my feelings? I'm sorry, but I've already been there done that.

Nice try. You fail.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Aimster,

liar liar

i never turned it into Iran vs India

and I defend with valid reasons, not made up stuff. also, others dont change topics and turn a thread into a pissing match the way you do, thats why

i dont care if your a Iranian or a muslim, what does that even have to do with anything?

no duh, 40% of India is uneducated, no breaking news there

So why do you keep the personal attacks if all I've said are facts? That's what I thought.

Also your valid reason for not pointing out the two was because "axis of evil". You cannot compare the population growth of the youth because of axis of evil? OKKKKK.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004

Anyways, it's nice to see them do this, but it's probably still relatively expensive for these very poor people.

Show me how Iran is dirty? Tehran is not a dirty city if it is show me so raildogg. Most have computers and most have Internet access. Did you really have to comment on that? You just have to prove India is SUPERIOR to every nation in that region.
How sick.

hmmmm ... so posting about a country that is offering broadband to the rural areas is saying that its superior to a region?? if thats how you want to think of it as, good for you. could care less

Iran is dirty, poor, ruled by crazy extremists, and is a turd on the face of the earth.

People should post whatever they want, as long as it isn't incredibly offensive.

Because you are clueless and have no idea what you are talking about? You have no information or knowledge on the culture of iran or what the Iranian cities look like. You think bashing Iran is going to hurt my feelings? I'm sorry, but I've already been there done that.

Nice try. You fail.

who cares what the cities look like. Heck many parts of Baghdad are *clean* and not *dirty*, but is there where you would want to live?

oh and Iran is run by muslim extremists who jail you if you hold the hand of your g/f in public. i believe they execute you for adultery, etc etc

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
So why do you keep the personal attacks if all I've said are facts? That's what I thought.

Also your valid reason for not pointing out the two was because "axis of evil". You cannot compare the population growth of the youth because of axis of evil? OKKKKK.

huhh???????

:confused:

no you have no stated facts, thats the point. its all opinion

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

How sick.

Nice try. You fail.

who cares what the cities look like. Heck many parts of Baghdad are *clean* and not *dirty*, but is there where you would want to live?

oh and Iran is run by muslim extremists who jail you if you hold the hand of your g/f in public. i believe they execute you for adultery, etc etc

jail you for holding your g/f hand in public? I think not. They don't jail nobody for holding their g/fs hand in public. Again these points are why I cannot compare the population growth of the youth? People are people I thought, but I guess in your eyes Iranians are animals. You obviously have no clue on the culture or the way of life in Iran.
You still haven't given me one solid reason why I couldn't compare the population growth of Iran and the problems they faced to the population growth of India and they problems they will face.

Because one is Muslim and the other is Hindu?
Ok...

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

huhh???????

:confused:

no you have no stated facts, thats the point. its all opinion

No the only opinion I said was that India was dirty, and that was today. Before that you've gone off and off because I brought up India's education/poor/ etc.

Face it you have Indian pride and no way in hell would India ever compare to any Muslim nation ever in your eyes.

and I wonder why India and Pakistan are always at it... hmmm.