Independence Day: Resurgence Trailer is out

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
MV5BMTY2NjQ5MDUzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzY1NjAxMDE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046534/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4

;)

Your image is broken. It must have been important to the point of your post, because as is I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Edit: Odd, now the image comes up.
I still don't get the point of your post.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I enjoyed the first one. I thought it was a better war of the worlds than the actual war of the worlds (2005). Even if the "virus" was from a crappy laptop.

The "actual" War of the Worlds movie was 1953.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
didn't bill pullman say in the first one the aliens take their whole society with them from planet to planet devouring each as they go?

how could their be anymore aliens to attack if they were all there?

all the ships surrounding the planet crashed too.

And he was talking out of his ass then.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Probably Nortons, so it shouldnt be to hard to get past it......

Don't worry. We still have spam, click bait, and pop ups to defeat them with. Not to mention the Nigerian prince scams. The aliens will have no idea what hit them.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Make sure to head to www.warof1996.com, it has a nice time line from 1996 to the new movie. It explains a lot of why there are aliens still on earth and what the new movie is about.
Wow, that's a pretty impressive website. It's definitely the best one I've seen as it pertains to a movie tie-in. It also explains the status of Col. Hiller (Will Smith's character).

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Looks cool. I thought the first one was great because we only had modern technology and firepower. It was a great contrast with the alien weaponry and made the aliens seem like an unstoppable force. I see a lot of scifi gear on the humans in this one. Not really digging that.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Looks cool. I thought the first one was great because we only had modern technology and firepower. It was a great contrast with the alien weaponry and made the aliens seem like an unstoppable force. I see a lot of scifi gear on the humans in this one. Not really digging that.

I think it makes sense in this case though, there was plenty to scavenge tech from.

And I noticed that there was an explanation for the "virus" that everybody seems to hate. Apparently it was in a scene that got cut:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18720_7-famous-movie-flaws-that-were-explained-in-deleted-scenes.html

I always kind of accepted that after he cracked their code he had access to their tech. Figured with one of their spaceships (and the 50 years of examining it) he was able to trial and error some way to crap up their system. As with most advanced technology, it's easier to break the more complex it is.

Apparently that's pretty close to what the official line was, before it got cut from the movie.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Wow, that's a hell of an investment those aliens are making just for some natural resources.
But hey, maybe Earth-sized planets with loads of iron and silicon are fairly rare. (Though if that's what they're after, you'd think they'd go swipe Mercury.)
Or their brains never evolved the section that permits them to perform a basic cost/benefit analysis.

didn't bill pullman say in the first one the aliens take their whole society with them from planet to planet devouring each as they go?

Hand-wave solution: They didn't all die in the crash. (Or the alien was just lying about the "entire civilization" thing. Or maybe they're fed constant propaganda and the rank-and-file just believe that it's their whole civilization. Or maybe there was something lost in the translation between an advanced alien brain's telepathic interface and an old primate brain. Or maybe the producers wanted another mansion.)

Or like in a DS9 episode: One ship had some chance modification that allowed it to survive.

- "Get on the wire to everyone around the world. Tell them how to take those sons of bitches down."

"What about the huge troop transport ship spotted hovering over the North Pole? Any strike force would reach it at least 2 hours after the virus is purged from their system."

- "....did you try reversing the polarity of the engines to make them go faster? What the hell, it works on Star Trek."

I'm sure we'd try to adapt their equipment though. Ships full of advanced tech show up, crash, everyone gets access, and they're evidently somewhat compatible with our programming capabilities. The open source community would figure out how to interface a Raspberry Pi within a week at have one of those things up and running. Two days later, an app's available to control a fighter from an Android phone.

Last edited:

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I think the initial attack was for resources (like a massive amount of relatively clean liquid water). Due to their technical superiority I don't think it normally cost them much to find and/or defeat planets this way. Until us.

This second attack I think is more of an "oh sh*t!" moment where they have lost an entire attack force and their tech is now in the hands of a species likely capable of using it. Lets see if we can wipe them out before they come looking for us, and if we can recoup some natural resources too that would be swell.

I dont think there was any loss of translation. He was shown images of this almost unimaginable large attack force moving from planet to planet and striping them of everything useful. One could easily assume this is an entire civilization moving itself place to place. Or he could have easily seen several such attack groups doing this while realizing it was their entire civilization.

Based on the sheer size of the craft crashing, and the relatively intact nature of it, I wouldn't be surprised if some aliens did get out (and the website linked here says some did escape).

As far as adapting the tech goes, it was the aliens who first adapted their tech to ours. They thought it would be clever to utilize our own satellites since they were there...that created the back door that let us into their source code or what have you. It's not like we immediately knew how to use their stuff either, just how to break it. It takes 20 years for us to have adapted the tech to the point in this new movie.

In the real world we already have lasers and rail guns and plasma tech. Our problem is more of a power issue. If we could utilize just the alien power tech we could create some crazy "sci-fi" weapons. Utilizing any of their other tech to advance these designs could make them seem alien..

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
omgomgomg is it michael bay? it's got to be michael bay. please say it's michael bay. i wanna see stuff go boom.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I think the initial attack was for resources (like a massive amount of relatively clean liquid water). Due to their technical superiority I don't think it normally cost them much to find and/or defeat planets this way. Until us.
Well....salty water.
And to make your own water, just get some hydrogen and oxygen and apply heat. The hydrogen burns and you get (mostly) water. Seems like it'd be easier to do that than go after a planet with an ornery race of primates.
Go to Europa at Jupiter. Lots of water there, potentially a few times more than Earth has. Getting it out of Jupiter's gravity well might be difficult, but I'd imagine that'd be cheaper than a full military strike force.
Or check out Enceladus at Saturn.

This second attack I think is more of an "oh sh*t!" moment where they have lost an entire attack force and their tech is now in the hands of a species likely capable of using it. Lets see if we can wipe them out before they come looking for us, and if we can recoup some natural resources too that would be swell.
But now you're into another accounting problem: Sunk cost. They already lost an entire resource acquisition fleet, and now the resistance against a second wave is going to be even greater.
Maybe they have stupid bureaucrats too.;)
"No, we can't appear weak against lesser life forms. Keep pressing forward. I'll authorize whatever funding you need to get this done."

I dont think there was any loss of translation. He was shown images of this almost unimaginable large attack force moving from planet to planet and striping them of everything useful. One could easily assume this is an entire civilization moving itself place to place. Or he could have easily seen several such attack groups doing this while realizing it was their entire civilization.
Could've also been a memory of something the alien saw in a propaganda film, or a really moving Youtube clip. :p

Based on the sheer size of the craft crashing, and the relatively intact nature of it, I wouldn't be surprised if some aliens did get out (and the website linked here says some did escape).
It is a darn large crumple zone, at least for the aliens with offices in the top floors.

As far as adapting the tech goes, it was the aliens who first adapted their tech to ours. They thought it would be clever to utilize our own satellites since they were there...that created the back door that let us into their source code or what have you. It's not like we immediately knew how to use their stuff either, just how to break it. It takes 20 years for us to have adapted the tech to the point in this new movie.
Also an odd choice, like us choosing to use cave paintings to coordinate an attack.

In the real world we already have lasers and rail guns and plasma tech. Our problem is more of a power issue. If we could utilize just the alien power tech we could create some crazy "sci-fi" weapons. Utilizing any of their other tech to advance these designs could make them seem alien.
Hopefully they have something that's better than lithium-ion batteries: Something to allow a smartphone that lasts a week without recharging.
(Gotta prioritize what we're going to do this new technology, right?)

omgomgomg is it michael bay? it's got to be michael bay. please say it's michael bay. i wanna see stuff go boom.
Don't forget the copious product placement. The movie will have a net cost of -$75M, making money before it even gets a single viewer.

Last edited:

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000

What I gathered from the trailer is that some from the original assault survived and rebuilt in secret.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

That assumes they attack planets linearally (is that a word?). Maybe they had several different fleets that had their own course of action. The fleet that hit earth didn't check-in, so another one is coming to find out what happened?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i like that it has a much more serious/darker tone than the original.

when we saw the trailer yesterday during the football game, we were ALL waiting for will smith to show up and say "WELCOME TO ERF!" and were all so so disappointed he isn't even in the movie.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000

I was momentarily confused by the "After Earth" comment. I was thinking it was a decent movie, albeit low budget, and more quiet drama than sci-fi... but then I realized that was "Another Earth".

ea_anotherearth.jpg

"After Earth" was that one that just about everyone said was incredibly stupid, starring Will and Jaden. However, I never did bother to watch it, based on those reviews.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Just saw the trailer.

1) I'm not disappointed at all Will Smith isn't in it. I am kinda sick of him.

2) I'm glad it has a darker tone. The lightheartedness of the first one was fine, but it was quite cheesy at times too. Mind you, a darker tone doesn't mean it won't be cheesy. Fingers crossed. Note: I'm not American, so the "Independence Day" related dialogue in the original movie always seemed cheesy to me. Then again, Roland Emmerich isn't American either.

3) It's nice it has a big budget. I'm not convinced the drama will be there, so it will probably need that whiz-bang CG budget to make it worth the 2 hours and ticket price. (The quiet drama sci-fi movie Another Earth I mentioned above had a budget of less than $100000.)

4) Not sure if I'll bother with 3D, even if it's made for 3D.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Seems to have a very different tone than the first. Will see it (theater or home), but don't have high expectations.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Probably Nortons, so it shouldnt be to hard to get past it......

lol, I am envisioning an alien buying licenses for all of their system. We need 1 trillion licenses by next week. I can see the plot go like this. After getting the licenses and installing the consumer version right as the aliens are about to crush human resistance Norton craps out half their systems and brings the invasion to its knees.