Incomprehensible mass shooting happens again

Page 89 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
We've had 20+ years since Columbine to figure this out, but it's kind of like COVID...a lot of people don't want to mask, don't want to get the vaccine, and so we just put up with a million people dying, whereas other countries that got their act together had less than 2,500 COVID-related deaths.
Yup a selfish minority causing all these problems

Reactions: Pens1566 and Pohemi

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Out of interest, is there a legal obligation to actually _wear_ seatbelts in the US?

Pretty sure I've seen pictures of Trump in the back of that Limo (apparently called "The Beast") without a seatbelt on - has a President ever been fined for that?

So in America at least, it gets weird:

1. "With the exception of New Hampshire, all states and the District of Columbia require adult front-seat occupants to use seat belts. Adult rear-seat passengers also are covered by the laws in 32 states and the District of Columbia. Children are covered by separate laws."

2. But like...kids don't even have the options of wearing seatbelts on a bus because they don't exist (for a variety of reasons).

3. Limos have seatbelts, although enforcement is pretty mixed (from my limited experience in them, I've never seen any passengers buckle up). There was a pretty limo bad crash that killed 20 people (18 passengers & 2 pedestrians; the driver lived) a few years ago. In that state (New York), only the front-seat passengers were required to wear them; none of the passengers in the back had seatbelts on.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Out of interest, is there a legal obligation to actually _wear_ seatbelts in the US?
As IronWing and Kaido pointed out, most states do have some type of laws requiring their use. States differ, as does the frequency of enforcement. Many have now included laws restricting police from pulling you over JUST for that reason, due to it unequally affecting minorities because of police bias and discrimination. I can say I definitely got pulled over for it in WI at least once or twice when I was younger, maybe 25 to 30 years ago (I'm white fwiw).

Reactions: eelw

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Yup a selfish minority causing all these problems

It's difficult because you get a few bad eggs who ruin things for everybody. Shooting guns is pretty fun & everyone I personally know who own them are typically extremely responsible with their weapons...they have safes, they have legal authorization, they do training, their families are taught gun safety, etc.

Statistically, 40% of American households own guns, so nearly half the nation has access to firearms at home:

Mass shootings make up only 0.1% of firearm homicides:

The majority of the people who own guns live with them responsibly. It gets even more watered-down statistically:

1. 99.59% of US deaths are NOT firearm homicides
2. Of that 0.41% of firearm homicides, 99.77% are not mass shootings

1674586213386.png

And despite what is accepted as common knowledge regarding semi-automatic weapons, it's actually handguns that account for the majority of mass public shootings: (over 50%)

1674586333297.png

misuspita

Jul 15, 2006
Well then, even if it sounds harsh, don't panic or feel bad or send thoughts and prayers when a mass murder happens in your neighbourhood, cause this is just collateral damage of the freedom to carry assault weapons.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Well then, even if it sounds harsh, don't panic or feel bad or send thoughts and prayers when a mass murder happens in your neighbourhood, cause this is just collateral damage of the freedom to carry assault weapons.

I think that's where balance comes in...do we really NEED to have semi-automatic assault weapons in the hands of private citizens? Australia did pretty good with a government ban & buyback. I mean, look at Tylenol...a batch got poisoned, 7 people died, and the whole COUNTRY went nuts! They spent $100 million dollars (in 1982 money!) on things like new tamper-proof packaging, which became the industry standard, and Congress introduced a bill making it a federal offense to tamper with consumer products:

Meanwhile, we had 647 mass shootings last year alone:

What changes did we make in response to not 7 deaths but THOUSANDS of deaths? Well, we sold a lot more guns...

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
It's difficult because you get a few bad eggs who ruin things for everybody. Shooting guns is pretty fun & everyone I personally know who own them are typically extremely responsible with their weapons...they have safes, they have legal authorization, they do training, their families are taught gun safety, etc.

Statistically, 40% of American households own guns, so nearly half the nation has access to firearms at home:

Mass shootings make up only 0.1% of firearm homicides:

The majority of the people who own guns live with them responsibly. It gets even more watered-down statistically:

1. 99.59% of US deaths are NOT firearm homicides
2. Of that 0.41% of firearm homicides, 99.77% are not mass shootings

View attachment 75241

And despite what is accepted as common knowledge regarding semi-automatic weapons, it's actually handguns that account for the majority of mass public shootings: (over 50%)

View attachment 75242

This is why all semi-automatic weapons that can hold more than 3 rounds need to be banned and yes I'm including revolvers.

Reactions: Kaido and KMFJD

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's not just about the direct impact, either. My buddy is a Columbine survivor & he's still pretty messed up to this day, nearly 25 years later, all because two kids chose to inflict violence on others. All of the schools around here now do active shooter training just like they do with fire drills. We need to patch the timeline fork & go back to where kids don't have to learn to hide from shooters :confused:
Yup. So sad that kids have to wonder if someone is in the hall right now with an assault weapon. When I went to school such things never happened.

Speaking of the car accident deaths. Last time I got in my car (12 days ago. Jan. 12, 2023) I did my every other week Costco trek. OK, so 12 days after "the holidays" were over. I was on local freeway and I saw several different cars' drivers driving like complete lunatics. Impaired or crazy. I never had those experiences years ago. I haven't been seeing accidents, I'm sure only because I have been driving <500 miles/year. Even before the pandemic, <1000 miles/year.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
How about major jail time, like mandatory ten years.
Yes, I'm in favor of big time penalties for illegal gun possession, in tandem with making gun possession illegal, PERIOD. Yup, I want to disarm America. I AM the NRA's nightmare.

Last edited:
Reactions: igor_kavinski

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yup. So sad that kids have to wonder if someone is in the hall right now with an assault weapon. When I went to school such things never happened.

Speaking of the car accident deaths. Last time I got in my car (12 days ago. Jan. 12, 2023) I did my every other week Costco trek. OK, so 12 days after "the holidays" were over. I was on local freeway and I saw several different cars' drivers driving like complete lunatics. Impaired or crazy. I never had those experiences years ago. I haven't been seeing accidents, I'm sure only because I have been driving <500 miles/year. Even before the pandemic, <1000 miles/year.
I swear, it's like something happened to people because they had to wear masks and stay home during the pandemic. Modern humans (at least US humans) have extremely limited coping skills anymore.

Reactions: Pohemi and Muse
Jul 27, 2020
I swear, it's like something happened to people because they had to wear masks and stay home during the pandemic.
It could be brain damage due to COVID exposure. The virus has been shown to have almost ever lasting detrimental effects on the body. Possibly the DNA of the entire human race has been modified permanently for the worse.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I swear, it's like something happened to people because they had to wear masks and stay home during the pandemic. Modern humans (at least US humans) have extremely limited coping skills anymore.
I have fair coping skills because I've had to cope with a lot of tough stuff over the years. Not all the time, just once in a while, but it's no shock when I find myself in a situation demanding I cope. I never act out behind the wheel. :rolleyes: I suppose once upon a time, but not for decades.

I see drivers all the time, not because I'm driving, it's because I'm out of the house, skating, bicycling, occasionally walking. I'm quite sensitive to driver's characteristics. You can tell what they're like by the way they drive. You know if they're insane, for openers.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
WTF? That shooter in Half Moon Bay, which is less than 30 minutes from where I live, was over a $100 repair bill?

The guy shoots and kills 7 people because he got charged $100 for damaging a piece of farm equipment...

What's next? Shoot the dry cleaner for over-starching your collars?

Reactions: Pohemi

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
WTF? That shooter in Half Moon Bay, which is less than 30 minutes from where I live, was over a $100 repair bill?

The guy shoots and kills 7 people because he got charged $100 for damaging a piece of farm equipment...

Well, if he didn’t have a gun I’m sure it would have been a mass stabbing.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Conditions on those farms were appalling even by 3rd world standards. That gave rise to animosities which ultimately led to this. The confrontation about the $100 charge against him triggered the incident.

Reactions: Drach and Pohemi
Jul 27, 2020
I witnessed a pretty cool guy lose it spectacularly over his stained shirt. Didn't know he was capable of such a public outburst until that happened. He threw his shirt back at the employees of the laundry business and stormed out. Outside, he returned to being his normal cheerful self and it was like nothing had happened. One of the weirdest mood swings I've seen in someone.

Jul 27, 2020
The confrontation about the $100 charge against him triggered the incident.
The proverbial straw.

I have this idea of a device that is able to wirelessly determine the brain waves coming out of a person and if those seem to be disturbed, to flag the person to be taken away immediately for the sake of public safety.

Despite being released in 1993, this movie rings true more now than it probably did back then: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The proverbial straw.

I have this idea of a device that is able to wirelessly determine the brain waves coming out of a person and if those seem to be disturbed, to flag the person to be taken away immediately for the sake of public safety.

Despite being released in 1993, this movie rings true more now than it probably did back then: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/
Well, that's what Jack the Ripper was evidently about.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Conditions on those farms were appalling even by 3rd world standards. That gave rise to animosities which ultimately led to this. The confrontation about the $100 charge against him triggered the incident.

By "those farms" you are referring to mushroom farms in Half Moon Bay?