Incomprehensible mass shooting happens again

Page 87 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Despite 2A aren’t there some people who should not be allowed to own guns. We don’t let felons own guns even with 2A

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
yet another mass shooting, and we still have people on the fence about common sense gun laws in states like Illinois.

America will blink, and tens of millions of Republican voters will send thoughts and prayers and then continue to enable this to continually happen over and over and over again.

These are shitty people.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
First clue as to his motive might be this:

He had once been a regular presence at the dance studio, even meeting his ex-wife there, three people who knew him told CNN.

Maybe he thought his ex-wife would be there. Or maybe he thought that friends she had there encouraged her to do something that angered him. Maybe he went to the other dance studio after she wasn't there at the first one. Either way, it's got to have something to do with his ex-wife.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
First clue as to his motive might be this:

Maybe he thought his ex-wife would be there. Or maybe he thought that friends she had there encouraged her to do something that angered him. Maybe he went to the other dance studio after she wasn't there at the first one. Either way, it's got to have something to do with his ex-wife.
Really long standing grudge. They divorced over a decade ago.

Reactions: hal2kilo

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Just another Sunday in America.

Not to mention the 3 children and 5 adults shot (2 are critical) in house in Shreveport. "...a dark-colored SUV pulled up in front of the home and multiple people got out and fired into the home. Preliminary information is that this is related to an ongoing dispute between two groups of individuals. "

It never ends.

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There's apparently video of the ~90 second struggle between the perp and the guy who disarmed him at the first club (preventing a massacre there). I wonder if that video's accessible. I'd like to see that.

From the New York Times:

“That moment, it was primal instinct,” he said. “Something happened there. I don’t know what came over me.”

They fought over control of the gun for about a minute and a half, and it felt like they were similarly matched in strength, Mr. Tsay said. At one point, the gunman looked down at the weapon and took one hand off it, as if to manipulate the gun to begin shooting. Mr. Tsay said he seized the moment and pried the pistol away from the man.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
so i was checking on CNN earlier and their headline usually reads something like "what we know so far about _______" whether it's the victims, the murderer, etc.

i think they need to take a page from the onion. shit, give them referral traffic.
‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

And instead of "what you need to know about the victims" it should be "what you need to know about the assholes who value guns more than you or your children"

name and shame every single rep and senator who refuses to pass gun legislation.

i'll fully admit i was quite pro-gun years ago. i very vociferously defended the 2A. but it's clear its current manifestation has no place in society. christ almighty these headlines get fucking old, and the number of victims have grown to mountains. it's almost a shame they are buried, because america has no way of seeing the true human toll. imagine a whole monument built on the sacrifices at the altar of freedumb. it would be horrifying, and yet the disconnection in our communities means its accepted by ~50% of the country.

i'd be surprised if it happened in a rural community, and people there said "you know, we should rethink this whole thing"

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
36 mass shootings for the year.
It's January 23rd.
The only answer we have for gun violence is, for some reason, "more guns".

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hmm 3 suspects. No longer lone wolfs
Columbine High was a watershed moment. Two students working together to terrorize their high school with guns designed to kill humans in mass. They upped the ante in the mass murder go-out-with-a-bang game.

On April 20, 1999, a school shooting and attempted bombing occurred at Columbine High School in Columbine, Colorado, United States.[a] The perpetrators, 12th grade students Eric David Harris and Dylan Bennet Klebold, murdered 12 students and one teacher. Ten students were killed in the school library, where Harris and Klebold subsequently committed suicide. Twenty-one additional people were injured by gunshots, and gunfire was also exchanged with the police. Another three people were injured trying to escape. At the time, it was the deadliest high school shooting in U.S. history, until the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in 2018.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbine_High_School_massacre#cite_note-5 The shooting has inspired dozens of copycat killings, dubbed the Columbine effect, including many deadlier shootings across the world.[c] The word "Columbine" has become a byword for school shootings.

Wikipedia

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

-Mass shooting not far from where I live. Everyone is freaking out about it. Just completely in shock, this doesn't happen here attitude everywhere.

Fucking weird too, another old Asian guy blasting other Asians.

Not to get super conspiratorial, but some sort of weird CCP opp? Cultist shit? I dunno man.

Freaky.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

7 Killed in Another Mass Shooting in California https://nyti.ms/3H01LYt
It's "in my neighborhood" (~20 miles from me) and 2 of the 3 major networks I checked (ABC, NBC and CBS) have had non-stop coverage of it, skipping the network evening news programming. Only CBS has its network news with Nora O. The coverage is repetitive and scanty. They keep going over the same thing, showing the arrest (which is bizarre), interviewing lots of people and nobody knows squat about the whys and wherefores. 2 different locations and it appears it's workplace related, a mushroom farm and another location a few miles away.

Eerie resemblance to the SoCal shooting Saturday in that the arrested is an older guy and appears to me to be Chinese as well.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
i'll fully admit i was quite pro-gun years ago. i very vociferously defended the 2A. but it's clear its current manifestation has no place in society.

I really like Australia's approach:

Guns are fun as a hobby or for hunting or collecting, but there's no reason to own an automatic or a semi-automatic weapon, especially like you said, how it really has no place in society these days. Although handguns have the highest usage rate in mass shootings:

It's very tricky. I know people who have guns from like the Civil War. You can 3D print guns these days. Black market guns are apparently pretty easy to come by. Full eradication seems difficult, but curbing it like Australia did seems to have helped. Easy problem to solve in theory, super tricky problem to solve in practice.

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It's difficult for me to get my head around the amount of people killed by gunfire in the USA. If we get one shooting it's major news country wide for a fortnight.
Any way to get a bit of context I tried googling some numbers of people shot so far in 2023 and this website came up....

linkage

Holy shit I thought, 300 people is a lot of people killed in a month. Then I looked at the date!
That's not ok USA!

Reactions: Pohemi and Muse

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
It's difficult for me to get my head around the amount of people killed by gunfire in the USA. If we get one shooting it's major news country wide for a fortnight.
Any way to get a bit of context I tried googling some numbers of people shot so far in 2023 and this website came up....

linkage

Holy shit I thought, 300 people is a lot of people killed in a month. Then I looked at the date!
That's not ok USA!

Well it’s because of the people here, not the readily available access to guns and inaccessible health care system!/s