Incomprehensible mass shooting happens again

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I've been saying in this forum for over 10 years along with universal background checks every applicant need a psych evaluation. A trained professional would have spotted this guy in 2 seconds.

Mentally ill and people not mentally mature enough should never be issued licenses. ex: anger issues.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
How many would have been saved if the door he entered through wasn't left propped open?

Impossible to say .... however its very likely the nut-case would have just found another way like waiting for recess or maybe dismissal.

Lets try to avoid applying Captain Hindsight's "flawless" logic.

I feel absolutely terrible for the kids who died in that school, but far as I'm concerned EVERY Texan eligible to vote that supports Republicans has blood directly on their hands.

The "Great" state of Texas..... what a freaking joke. :mad:

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
How many would have been saved if the door he entered through wasn't left propped open?

So, if a door magically protects against guns, then why are gun nuts so insistent that they need guns to protect them in their own own homes? Sure sounds like closing your doors would fix all your safety issues. And sounds like if you want to be safe in public, you should be carrying around doors, not guns.

Mar 11, 2004
I’m not sure why people are surprised this isn’t the first time police have done this during a school shooting and won’t be the last.

They police are shielded when they fuck up. Be it they improperly kill someone or their inaction gets a ton of people killed. It will only be a few days before the Republican horde of people start with their nonsense about people not back the blue wanting to defund the police.

It sure seems like cops are the ones making the argument for why we should defund them.

Feb 4, 2009
How about this image
R.cc223e990b829186e67e438d62f1b71f

liberal noob wanting bullets to have air bags

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Anyone planning this by buying 2 ar-15s, hundreds of rounds of ammo and body armor likely could have found another way in.

How do you protect other soft targets? Should kids carry a locked door with them wherever they go? Any given playground on the weekend you can find 19 kids. What are you going to do for them?

Reactions: Zorba

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
A glance at Northern Ireland might suggest that's not a great idea. And isn't it against your Constitution, anyway?
Better cops ought to be the first recourse, surely?
The cops in Texas displayed the most egregious dereliction of duty in Tuesday's episode in Uvelde. So did the higher ups in the Texas chain of command, all the way to the governor in his public actions subsequent. I can't imagine how much worse were his private actions. Apparently it WAS federal officers who finally broke into the room where the murderer was situated and killed him. Any and all of the officers there were obligated to charge in there from the very start, but only the border agents took their job obligations seriously. The others (at least 19, who loitered in the hallway next to the rooms of carnage for some 45 minutes) were cowards who refused to do their duty and covered themselves with shame.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
So, if a door magically protects against guns, then why are gun nuts so insistent that they need guns to protect them in their own own homes? Sure sounds like closing your doors would fix all your safety issues. And sounds like if you want to be safe in public, you should be carrying around doors, not guns.
It isn't about stopping as much as delaying. According to the last timeline I saw, he entered the school at 11:33 followed by officers at 11:35.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Impossible to say .... however its very likely the nut-case would have just found another way like waiting for recess or maybe dismissal.
A little harder to wait - in this case, when police were already present or on the way.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Anyone planning this by buying 2 ar-15s, hundreds of rounds of ammo and body armor likely could have found another way in.

How do you protect other soft targets? Should kids carry a locked door with them wherever they go? Any given playground on the weekend you can find 19 kids. What are you going to do for them?
He didn't have body armor.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
A little harder to wait - in this case, when police were already present or on the way.

School shooters have opened up on kids from behind a bush next to playgrounds and outside schools during dismissal more then once in the past and avoiding the SINGLE cop on scene beforehand would have been very easy.

Also those worthless cowardly cops would have been as likely to hide in a closet as they were to actually DO anything based on what happened.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
If the timeline is to be believed at this point.

That's one heck of an "if"..... I'm pretty sure those "cops" are only worried about covering their own rear-ends now just like they were when those poor babies were being butchered right next to them!!!

:mad:

Reactions: dank69

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
SO .... You're defending those gutless weasels standing around with their thumbs up their rear-ends because they "MIGHT GET SHOT" (?!?) while a nut-case with a rifle shoots more kids in a school?

You're correct in that the cops didn't create this situation but if they could have saved ONE SINGLE KIDS LIFE (and I'd say the odds of this were good) it would have rated every one of those worthless piece of crap cops being shot storming the classroom far as I'm concerned.

Obviously out of control guns freaking EVERYWHERE is the crux of the problem but those PATHETIC excuses for "men" who protected themselves while kids died are complete wussies.
Read what I said again, I wasn't defending them and no where did I say anything you claim. Once you read it again and realize I didn't defend them at all, step back and take some time to let my comment about it not being black and white sink in. It's only an assumption that there would have been less deaths if the acted quicker, but that assumption ignores the other possible outcome, that more could have died, not necessarily from the shooter, but from friendly fire from the police. In such close quarters as I said, it's not black and white.

No matter how the police responded, right or wrong (I wasn't even arguing either direction), they are not the problem that created the situation, but that is how it's going to play out, that it was the police's fault and that is where the blame is going to be for ALL of those deaths, it's
not going to be argued that they could have saved some lives, it's going to be argued and painted that they could have prevented it from happing at all.. which is false and is one of the main points I was trying to make. They are not where the real blame should be placed for not preventing this from happening. . But that is how every one of these mass shootings go, rather than facing the truth, and placing the blame where it really belongs (the gun problem we have in this country) they find something else to blame. In this case, it is going to be the failure of the police even though, all they are is a reactionary response to an incident that has already started.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
read what I said again, I wasn't defending them.

However by rationalizing the cops actions you do appear to be justifying them which I simply can't condone.

Hell I would have needed to be held back from going after the shooter myself even if I was unarmed, even if all I accomplished was to give "it" something to worry about besides which kid to shoot next.

PLUS considering how quickly ONE UNTRAINED KID with a rifle was dispatched by the federal officers who DID finally go in after him I'm not sure how you figure these bastards rate being defended.

EVERY SINGLE COP who did nothing while kids died should be fired AND prosecuted.