Incomprehensible mass shooting happens again

Page 69 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
THREE ?!?!

Denmark, you disappoint me.
Seriously that's amateur hour by US standards.

Absolutely tragic of course. But this happens once...in a blue moon? While here in the US it's a regular occurrence. Shit, after the first year of COVID, it was like "oh we haven't had one of these in a long time"

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
All we had to do was shut down all the schools…..

Clearly that's the solution. Guns don't kill people, education kills people.

After all, knowledge is power and power corrupts, so ignorance equals moral purity.

Jul 27, 2020
education kills people.
In a way. Kids/teenagers/even young adults end up making groups based on arbitrary criteria like your looks or the clothes you wear or how much you make them laugh etc. Instead of a place for the meeting of the minds, you end up with a place with some people who don't fit anywhere and instead of people around them helping them by trying to include them in their groups, they exclude them or worse, make fun of them. Instead of free mingling, maybe it should be supervised mingling, to ensure that no one feels left out. I know, it sounds like a really hard thing to implement but if done effectively, it could really boost the productivity of these places and create a better, safer learning environment.

Reactions: Linux23

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Saw these on Reddit, how fitting.

America: home of Gun Care and Health Control

Imagine getting lit up at a public event then getting a 200k hospital bill
💀

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
In a way. Kids/teenagers/even young adults end up making groups based on arbitrary criteria like your looks or the clothes you wear or how much you make them laugh etc. Instead of a place for the meeting of the minds, you end up with a place with some people who don't fit anywhere and instead of people around them helping them by trying to include them in their groups, they exclude them or worse, make fun of them. Instead of free mingling, maybe it should be supervised mingling, to ensure that no one feels left out. I know, it sounds like a really hard thing to implement but if done effectively, it could really boost the productivity of these places and create a better, safer learning environment.

I think this is going off-topic. Because schools are every bit as ghastly here as in the US, but students don't shoot each other (occasionally they might stab each other).

But, I do think there has to be scope for making schooling a less unpleasant experience (specifically secondary school, or 'high school'), given that children are pretty much forced to attend them. It's what I always think every time there's some media/political outrage over the problem of truancy - if you don't want children to bunk off school, instead of things like fining the parents, maybe try and make the place less horrible?

Reactions: igor_kavinski

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I think this is going off-topic. Because schools are every bit as ghastly here as in the US, but students don't shoot each other (occasionally they might stab each other).

But, I do think there has to be scope for making schooling a less unpleasant experience (specifically secondary school, or 'high school'), given that children are pretty much forced to attend them. It's what I always think every time there's some media/political outrage over the problem of truancy - if you don't want children to bunk off school, instead of things like fining the parents, maybe try and make the place less horrible?
But @pmv, if everyone doesn't suffer the same way that previous generations suffered, it might cause adults to think maybe they didn't have to go through that bullshit, and we can't have that.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I noticed Fox News chyrons are not referring to this as Chicago. They are always looking for Chicago shootings yet they just call this one Illinois. Highland Park is a suburb of Chicago.

Could it be the type of shooting doesn't fit their narrative?

Smash and grabs, 24x7. Mass shootings by young white men, thoughts and prayers, move along.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I noticed Fox News chyrons are not referring to this as Chicago. They are always looking for Chicago shootings yet they just call this one Illinois.

Could it be the type of shooting doesn't fit their narrative?

Smash and grabs, 24x7. Mass shootings by young white men, thoughts and prayers, move along.
It dilutes the 'black on black crime' narrative.

• Love
Reactions: Linux23 and Lezunto

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Totally agree. A lot of our torture is our elders doing it on purpose because they had to endure it.

I don't know what the answer is, though. Don't ask me to design a better school system, but surely there are experts in the topic who could come up with something better than what we have now?

Part of the problem is that the whole stressful process - in the case of secondary/high school - coincides with the stage of life when students endocrine systems are going berserk. I might be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that psychiatrists don't diagnose personality disorders till people are out of adolescence - as most adolescents would meet the criteria for PDs.

Just had this conversation with friends of my own generation recently (who now have children going through the same issues), and certainly things have changed for the better since we were at school. In those days physical violence by teachers against pupils was commonplace and regarded as entirely normal. Even leaving aside formal use of "corporal punishment" like the cane, we all had anecdotes of misbehaving 13-year-olds being punched in the face or put in headlocks by fully-grown adult teachers. The culture of violence in schools stemmed from the top down (another reason why 'arming teachers' sounds to me like a really bad idea).

A good start would be to make more effort not to employ demented, sadistic, or sexually-abusive people as teachers. Quite possibly that aspect of it has already improved since my day.

But how you deal with the problems of students tormenting each other, or all working out their hormonal-driven psychodramas while forcibly confined to one institution together, I really don't know.

It's a different issue from guns, though.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Well like I always said, just add this number, count them, of involved crowd/victims goers into the category of other victims who will now support gun laws and assault weapon bans. Because this is what it takes. Personal involvement, personal experience. Nothing changes one mind on gun control that being shot at and running for your life. That kinda does it. And as the carnage grows, so will the number of gun control supporters and assault weapon ban supporters. Its a slow process, but it is inevitable.
Welcome to NRA's America.
And its too bad that so many Americans are fat and obese. Its kinda hard to run from assassins when you're a human blimp.

Nov 29, 2006
Last edited: