Incomprehensible mass shooting happens again

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Gun control that limits the sales of guns that has one and only purpose of killing human lives.
Republicans: No, you can't do that.

Ban on a medical procedure that saves living and breathing human lives.
Republicans: Yes, pronto!

I want to be clear that I am not against people owning guns and gun control is the solution, but it's a start.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Not an accurate statement. However, mass shootings have been around for as long as that. You can't buy TNT at a Hardware store due to an act of School Violence. Such an event is also why you can't buy a Full Auto firearm. For awhile AR15s were banned as well and during that ban it decreased these incidents.

Which part? Guns readily available since the 19th century?
This should be pretty easy to verify. Take the last gun legislation passed by democrats in the house and show us yourself which parts are hostile to existing gun owners. How much time do you need?

You can choose either bill:

Ny SAFE:
Featureless requirements for ARs
- only fixed stocks (why?)
- no pistol grips, no thumbholes on grips (why?)
- non removable 10 rd magazines, ar must be disassembled to reload (possible reduced lethality, but easily circumvented)
- no muzzle brakes allowed (why?)
- online ammo purchases must be shipped to an FFL (why?)

Criminal easily disabled the restrictive features... Had plenty of ammo and magazines, did not get flagged.

Should we discuss the upcoming ATF rule changes for arm braces for pistol carbines?

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So if it's so effective, and guns so readily available, why isn't USA #1 in suicides?

Pretty weak correlation you are trying to draw here.

Belgium, Iceland, Japan, South Africa, Australia, Finland... Lots of suicides, not a lot of guns..

Here's also an NIH study. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12764330/

Yes, odds of suicide by firearm are higher, but odds of suicide are lower for other means.
Ergo, guns are preferred over jumping off bridges or sucking car exhaust like the Asians do.

The overall quoted rates are much lower than the study you linked. Curious of the methodology, but can't tell from an abstract.
So you’re saying you didn’t read the evidence.

Nov 29, 2006
Why is it the "Thoughts & Prayers" crowd, which is millions it seems, haven't caught onto the fact that praying hasn't worked?

I mean if it did, the mass shootings would have gone away a long time ago. You would think by now they would feel a bit silly.

I mean there are really only 2 conclusions a rational person would come to.
1. God doesn't exist, therefor I'm wasting my time.
or
2. God does exist, hears my prayers and the other millions...but just doesn't care. Thus wasting my time.

I know I'd feel really silly right now if I were religious and pandered this crap.

/rhetorical

Last edited:

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
So you’re saying you didn’t read the evidence.

I read your abstract with the outlying data, read a different abstract, different conclusion, posted the global suicide rates which demonstrate your study doesn't really pass a sanity check.

Overall poor association globally with suicide rates and gun ownership.

Then you pivot to "but culture". How many suicides exactly will be stopped by your policy (which will never happen because it's unconstitutional.)

If you want to save a bunch of lives, ban sugar and fast food. Twice as many die from diabetes than suicide.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Why is it the "Thoughts & Prayers" crowd, which is millions it seems, haven't caught onto the fact that praying hasn't worked?

I mean if it did, the mass shootings would have gone away a long time ago. You would think by now they would feel a bit silly.

I mean there are really only 2 conclusions a rational person would come to.
1. God doesn't exist, therefor and I'm wasting my time.
or
2. God does exist, hears my prayers and the other millions...but just doesn't care. Thus wasting my time.

I know I'd feel really silly right now if I were religious and pandered this crap.

/rhetorical
To be fair, "thoughts and prayers" doesn't meant "God, please prevent this from happening again". I thought it means "Sorry for your loss; my thoughts are with you in this trying time".

The issue I have is that people can be supportive of those grieving, and there's nothing wrong with it, but it is absolutely wrong to peddle "thoughts and prayers" as if that's that the final step in solving this crisis. There's indeed a time for grieving, but it must be followed by a time for action. The GOP always drags out the former until people forget that there's the latter until the latter doesn't even happen at all. That's the issue here. "Thoughts and prayers" is the same cop-out excuse as "Let's not politicize this tragedy". It's just the GOP deflecting the responsibility of coming up with a solution by gaslighting people into feeling bad by making it look like they aren't letting people grieve, which isn't the case at all. People can and should grieve, but the GOP basically goes "Lalalala, I can't hear you. I'm in the middle of "grieving"!" whenever Democrats remind them the need to take action. This literally happened when Beto confronted the Governor at that little press conference, and what did the GOP do? They said things like "You're out of line. You're an embarrassment! This is not the place to talk this over. Please leave this auditorium. I can't believe you're a sick sonova bitch that would come to a deal like this to make a political issue". It's all deflection from confronting the issue. Meanwhile, Governor Greg Abbott attended an NRA fundraiser literally hours after that press conference.

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
So if it's so effective, and guns so readily available, why isn't USA #1 in suicides?

Pretty weak correlation you are trying to draw here.

Belgium, Iceland, Japan, South Africa, Australia, Finland... Lots of suicides, not a lot of guns..

Here's also an NIH study. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12764330/

Yes, odds of suicide by firearm are higher, but odds of suicide are lower for other means.
Ergo, guns are preferred over jumping off bridges or sucking car exhaust like the Asians do.

The overall quoted rates are much lower than the study you linked. Curious of the methodology, but can't tell from an abstract.

Yikes dude. Pretty large gaps in logic there.

It's already been explained to you, firearms don't make you kill yourself, they just make you more effective at it.

You'll notice the study you linked mentions persons and the other study mentioned men, probably the reason for the disparity without looking deeper.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I read your abstract with the outlying data, read a different abstract, different conclusion, posted the global suicide rates which demonstrate your study doesn't really pass a sanity check.

Then you pivot to "but culture". How many suicides exactly will be stopped by your policy (which will never happen because it's unconstitutional.)

If you want to save a bunch of lives, ban sugar and fast food. Twice as many die from diabetes than suicide.
If you have a study that contradicts mine please post it.

edit: to be clear he will never do this.

Nov 29, 2006
To be fair, "thoughts and prayers" doesn't meant "God, please prevent this from happening again". I thought it means "Sorry for your loss; my thoughts are with you in this trying time".

I believe that is what the "thoughts" part of "Thoughts and Prayers" is for.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

Please explain your logic, in detail, with whatever references you used. It seems like you're building strawmen?

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
I believe that is what the "thoughts" part of "Thoughts and Prayers" is for.
Gotcha, but I don't think the prayers part meant "I pray that God will prevent this from happening again", does it? Sorry, I am not much a religious person so I don't do a whole lot of praying for anything really, so this is foreign to me. I thought the "prayers" part meant that I hope you have a quick recovery. Unfortunately, there ain't no recovery from the loss of one's child. God ain't gonna bring that kid back.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I really wish people would just say ‘I love guns and I don’t care about the facts’ as opposed to inventing reasons why gun ownership isn’t dumb.
Totally agreed. I can speak for myself, I own firearms. I have them about as safe as I can make them (disassembled, locked up, no ammo in the house) and I can still freely admit that it puts myself, my wife, and my kids at increased risk for injury or death by gun violence. It's an incredibly incredibly small risk, but it isn't zero. It's also a risk I'm constantly reevaluating. It's not some admission of weakness to admit facts as it seems it is with some folks, I don't know?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Totally agreed. I can speak for myself, I own firearms. I have them about as safe as I can make them (disassembled, locked up, no ammo in the house) and I can still freely admit that it puts myself, my wife, and my kids at increased risk for injury or death by gun violence. It's an incredibly incredibly small risk, but it isn't zero. It's also a risk I'm constantly reevaluating. It's not some admission of weakness to admit facts as it seems it is with some folks, I don't know?

Like you I'm cognizant of the risks I'm taking as a gun owner. I take similar mitigations but recognize they only go so far. I do enjoy shooting and largely got into firearms for historical collecting though I own a number of modern weapons. I'm not emotionally connected to any of it though so making impartial assessments re: risk and my openness to further controls doesn't work me up. Culturally I think this is the problem in America especially now and firearms have become sort of a shorthand for conservatism at large so its wrapped up in identity too.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2006

Same to an extent. I am not really a gun guy or gun lover. I bought 1 9mm pistol to ward off Trumper/Right Wing nuts since im unfortunate enough to live in a red state small town. But its in a biometric safe in a night stand drawer out of sight. I have no kids. Just my wife and I. So our risk is very small, but not zero. But im a gun control advocate and would freely give it up if America was to actually do the right thing on gun bans. Zero qualms giving it up.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Remember how it took a village? What happens if you subject the people of a village to stress. Stress creates pain and pain creates the powerful motivation to avoid it at pretty much any cost proportional to the level of pain one is experiencing.

What is the opposite of stress. Isn't it a sense of security, safety, tranquility, lack of worry that disaster is just around the corner. Is that the world we live in today? What sells newspapers. What is the function of the right side of medula oblongata, the think that is enlarged in self professed conservatives than in self professed liberals. It's function is to mediate the sensation of fear, to be hyper alert to danger, real and profoundly easily imagined, easily stimulated and intentionally of accidentally provoked. And what will cause liberals to become more conservative? The answer again is stress.

And what does deeper understanding and outside news of the problems that exist in the world create. Stress and fear.

And what does fear, the mind killer produce. It produces hate, the use of violence to protect what one has in a dog eat dog world of fear-based, winner-take-all, competition.

Stress is the village killer and the creator of every man for himself, the world of winners and losers and killers out for revenge they have no place in the world.

We are the sickness in the world because we are full of fear and full of hate for the bad guys of the world, our selves.

So lets go after guns so we can prevent ourselves from ever seeing that.

We feel no obligation to heal ourselves, the real cause of violence in the world, because we can't look at the fact we are sick. So yes, guns aren't a mental health issue. We are the mental health issue, the issue we will never face.

How do you learn to handle stress. Stress is ego fear, the fear that what we hold sacred will be taken from us. Everything we fear has already happened. We survived by creating an ego to deny that fact. Time for the ego to die so you can really life again. We fear dying because we already did. It is that which we fear to relive, but it already did.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I really wish people would just say ‘I love guns and I don’t care about the facts’ as opposed to inventing reasons why gun ownership isn’t dumb.

You are grasping at poorly supported reasons for unconstitutional policies that have nothing to do with school shootings.

You can't actually articulate how many lives you would save, and your conclusions aren't supported by global trends.

There are causes of significant numbers of preventable deaths that you aren't touching, but you don't like guns, so you want to focus on that and impose your choices on everyone else.

And then wonder why the democratic party is toxic to gun owners and no meaningful public safety legislation can be passed.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

I wish you would say you hate guns and gun owners and you'll pull any straw you can to have them live your way.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
You are grasping at poorly supported reasons for unconstitutional policies that have nothing to do with school shootings.

You can't actually articulate how many lives you would save, and your conclusions aren't supported by global trends.

There are causes of significant numbers of preventable deaths that you aren't touching, but you don't like guns, so you want to focus on that and impose your choices on everyone else.

And then wonder why the democratic party is toxic to gun owners and no meaningful public safety legislation can be passed.

Glad you at least stopped even pretending to care about data and marched out the usual deflection points. Appreciate the transparency.

Nov 29, 2006
This is my gun proposal in a nut shell: I'm sure ill miss something I'm forgetting, but the gist will be there.

Ban all guns except bolt action hunting rifles, single/double barrel break action shotguns for home defense, 6 shot revolvers.
-this way all your basic uses for guns are met
All aftermarket accessories meant to modify the actual gun are banned. No quick loads etc.
Gun buy back program on all guns at current retail price (yes this will cost a lot)
Anyone failing to turn in a banned gun via buy back will have it confiscated up and to the point of death for "fighting back"
Gun shows are not allowed to sell guns. Just show off new models that fit the above criteria of what is legal and for gun fetish reasons.
No private gun sales period. You can sell your used gun back to a store for another person to buy.
-this way all guns are tracked and paperwork on ownership etc.
Very intense 3-6 month back ground check. Criminal records, psych evals, proper classes/training are all required. Your social media and online presence will be looked over carefully.
Increase age of purchase to 21. 25 would work as well.
Any violation of these rules will be strict punishment with prison time.
Am open to the idea of gun ranges renting out "banned guns" for the people that just really need a bigger metal penis. They are securely locked and guarded 24x7.

Vote Soulcougher73 in 2024 for Pres!