In Austin they are shooting each other.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I think we all know that a far right-wing militia, or even govt agents, could open fire on a crowd of protesters right now, killing dozens or more, and the usual suspects here would find a way to bothsides their concern about a sprained trigger finger.

• Haha
Reactions: shortylickens

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
Thank you. Now notice that the deceased's grip in his weapon is the same as in this pic, where the muzzle is pointed towards the ground-

31240220-8563675-Mitchell_and_Foster_at_the_protest-a-12_1595841301123.jpg

humm elbow up in one and elbow down in another. not the same.

Reactions: Paladin3

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Playing with cars - regardless of protesting is simply only a game that the mentally inept would choose to play. If someone does something such as honks their horn because you're in the way of traffic - and you THEN PROCEED to DOGPILE infront of that car... I'm sorry but you're just darwanism waiting to happen. It's only a matter of time and I hold zero sympathy for you.

It would be one thing if legalities were on your side - such as having a permit to block off streets - but playing by the rules isn't something these sort of incompotent fools are ever about.

In the case of this Austin shooting incident - it is yet another case of moronic behavior.

Pointing a rifle at someone that is peacefully trying to go somewhere (and YOU are the one impeding them) is your ticket to death. Congratulations, you played a stupid game and you won a stupid prize.

Anyhow, it's crystal clear that the folks in the car will get off - and rightfully so. You point guns at people to execute a defensive measure to stop a conflict. You don't point them to threaten and think "That isn't enough to justify someone else shooting me to defend themself"

View attachment 26981
If he is pointing the gun at the guy in the car why cant you see the barrel?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I don't know what city you are in but in my city they most certainly don't. Driving downtown is like some bad videogame where someone is likely to step out in middle of the street at any time.
Same where I live. It’s called jaywalking, happens on a daily basis. Without fail, around rush hour, large groups of pedestrians end up blocking oncoming traffic. The oncoming traffic tends to inch forward and beep, profanities are often exchanged, traffic police sometimes intervene, on rare occasions a pedestrian gets hit...can’t say anyone has drawn a firearm.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
So what? Is it right or is it wrong to deliberately drive into a crowd of people walking anywhere? Is that not a threat to their safety? Is it not deliberately provocative?

Be sure to take a gun, cuz you might get the excuse to murder somebody & get away with it.
We’re not talking about pedestrians. We’re talking about a Mexican standoff in Eugene involving Dirty Harry Potter and Larry the Cable Guy and another incident where someone approached a vehicle with an assault rifle and paid with their life in a stand your ground state.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Yes indeed, the agitator driving that vehicle is no better than the agitators now intimidating motorists.
What's your solution for that? I ask because it seems like it's always easiest to cast judgment when one has no solution.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
What's your solution for that? I ask because it seems like it's always easiest to cast judgment when one has no solution.
Which problem are you looking to solve? People open carrying assault weapons or agitators creating dangerous situations for both motorists and themselves?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Now notice in your picture where his elbow is - and then compare that to where his elbow is clearly raised up in the picture I posted. Also his 2nd hand damn sure isn't on the front of the gun like in yours either.

Also keep in mind in the context of "aiming down" that is entirely a stupid concept. You're talking about a man standing vs. another man sitting in a small car. Unless the gun is literally pointing STRAIGHT down 180 degrees, the concept of "pointing the gun down" could very well be pointing it at the person in the car (especially with how raised his elbow is). The man in the car is literally just a foot or so above ground level since he is effectively sitting in his car.

Regardless, until some actual clear footage comes out this isn't an argument that is going to end. Suffice it to say - you play stupid games and you win stupid prizes. You stop a moving vehicle and you march towards it with a mask on and a gun aimed towards them - don't be surprised when the results aren't peaceful.

EDIT: Google Image search "How to fire a rifle" and tell me what the pic I posted looks like.

EDIT2: Also I just FUCKING LOVE how you guys are balls deep in defending someone that is openly carrying all of a sudden. The irony.... oh the irony!

It's remarkable that you apparently didn't even read the article you linked. You found a pic that told you what you wanted to believe & that's that.

A photograph circulating on social media on Monday shows Foster standing at the driver's window moments before the fatal shots rang out. The barrel of his AK-47 appears to be pointing towards the floor, however he is leaning towards the car with right arm raised and his hand seemingly placed around the weapon's grip

The driver didn't just turn a corner & end up in the middle of the crowd, at all-

Foster had been crossing 4th Street on Congress Avenue with his wheel-chair bound fiancee Whitney Mitchell, 28, and hundreds of other demonstrators when a motorist sped towards the crowd and began blaring its horn.
Protesters - who have been marching for 60 days - say the car swerved towards them and Foster has jumped in front of Mitchell, a quadruple amputee, fearing she was a target

Nov 8, 2012
It's remarkable that you apparently didn't even read the article you linked. You found a pic that told you what you wanted to believe & that's that.

The driver didn't just turn a corner & end up in the middle of the crowd, at all-

What if I told you....

That random media articles that have nothing to do with the source information...or the source location (it's literally a UK article for a US-TX event)...

have absolutely zero fucking clue what they are talking about and have zero actual sources of information?

Again - The Driver will not be charged with anything on this - because the driver isn't the one who jumped into a public road for driving. The driver didn't jump into a 2-ton moving vehicle. The driver didn't initially point a gun until one was pointed at him.

Play. Stupid. Games. Win. Stupid. Prizes.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Which problem are you looking to solve? People open carrying assault weapons or agitators creating dangerous situations for both motorists and themselves?
I guess in order to solve a problem, you have to know what it is, don't you?

In this case, it's... how does blaming both sides lead to the de-escalation of tensions?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I guess in order to solve a problem, you have to know what it is, don't you?

In this case, it's... how does blaming both sides lead to the de-escalation of tensions?
That you see it as a question of sides is the problem. We are all Americans, not combatants.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
What if I told you....

That random media articles that have nothing to do with the source information...or the source location (it's literally a UK article for a US-TX event)...

have absolutely zero fucking clue what they are talking about and have zero actual sources of information?

Again - The Driver will not be charged with anything on this - because the driver isn't the one who jumped into a public road for driving. The driver didn't jump into a 2-ton moving vehicle. The driver didn't initially point a gun until one was pointed at him.

Play. Stupid. Games. Win. Stupid. Prizes.
Why can't we see his left hand holding up the barrel of his Avtomat Kalashnikova?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
That you see it as a question of sides is the problem. We are all Americans, not combatants.
I wasn't the one that presented this as a matter of sides, that was you. Your false equivalencies only work if there are sides.