In another accident :(

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Yeah, ATOT brag detector went off like crazy when I read that post. I know there are some of you veteran drivers around with 2-3 decades of driving experience and minimal or zero incidents.

Not to mention this is CA, the land where automobiles rule and are hostile to all other means of transportation.
Plus, we put a shit load of miles on cars. My 25 month old car has over 45k miles on it. Over 10 years of CA driving for me as well and no tickets. I still can't be lazy when I'm driving because that's when my first accident will happen. Vancouver is a pretty busy city and it wasn't a piece of cake when I drove there (those flashing green lights confused the hell out of me first). However, SoCal is known for scaring the shit out of non-local drivers. Ironically though, to me it seems like many of the worst drivers (not necessarily the fastest, but the "woah, wtf is that car doing") are from out of state.

I don't know enough about the first accident, but this one is basically your fault. People can do stupid stuff like tailgate, floor it down surface streets, do crazy lane changes, but you've got to anticipate that.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Yeah, ATOT brag detector went off like crazy when I read that post. I know there are some of you veteran drivers around with 2-3 decades of driving experience and minimal or zero incidents.

Not to mention this is CA, the land where automobiles rule and are hostile to all other means of transportation.

I spent 10 days in the Inland Empire and the drivers there are completely batshit. We were in dead-stopped traffic and this car tried to get infront of me. No signal, just moved literally about an inch from me and kept trying to squeeze in.

In hindsight I should have hit her, but what can you do.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Dude...shoulder check. Always. Turn your head as far around as you can and make sure nothing is there before you pull out. The mirrors are not enough.

Also, I can't stress enough that you should take the full Young Drivers program. 2 weeks of driving school is not nearly enough.

https://www.yd.com/chooser/courses.aspx

Look at the BA course. This will teach you how to proactively avoid problems and use emergency maneuvers. I took the program years ago and I've avoided numerous incidents because of it. Trust me, this will be one of the best investments you make.

I've been in a couple of accidents, 1/2 of which were my fault (I had a license for a very short and then went to college with no driving for most of the year). All of the ones that were my fault were of my own arrogance. I thought I could eat a Kit Kat bar, juggle my Ipod and move along in bumper to bumper traffic without paying attention to the car in front of me. Bump. Crap, hit the car in front at 2 mph. This happened again later, which really pissed me off (completely angry at myself for costing myself and others money, just for being too incompetent to be doing 5 things at once in bumper to bumper traffic).

Recently, the other half of my accidents were from other people rear ending me. And not at bumper to bumper speeds either.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Plus, we put a shit load of miles on cars. My 25 month old car has over 45k miles on it. Over 10 years of CA driving for me as well and no tickets. I still can't be lazy when I'm driving because that's when my first accident will happen. Vancouver is a pretty busy city and it wasn't a piece of cake when I drove there (those flashing green lights confused the hell out of me first). However, SoCal is known for scaring the shit out of non-local drivers. Ironically though, to me it seems like many of the worst drivers (not necessarily the fastest, but the "woah, wtf is that car doing") are from out of state.

I don't know enough about the first accident, but this one is basically your fault. People can do stupid stuff like tailgate, floor it down surface streets, do crazy lane changes, but you've got to anticipate that.

:eek: 45k miles in 2 years? I do about 8k miles in the same amount of time.

Vancouver drivers can be unpredictable, but for the most part, they're of the confused tortoise/deer in the headlights variety, so they're easier to avoid. E.g. non-signalling lane changes at 10 km/h under the speed limit, poor lane position, etc.

/11 years, no accidents, no tickets.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Seriously. You're 100% full of fail.

Drive like it's your job and pay attention.

Better yet, drive like it's your career (race car driver) and assume everyone else sucks. This works.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Vancouver drivers can be unpredictable, but for the most part, they're of the confused tortoise/deer in the headlights variety, so they're easier to avoid. E.g. non-signalling lane changes at 10 km/h under the speed limit, poor lane position, etc.

Driving from my house to jobs in the SF Bay area, I averaged 40,000-60,000 miles every year on my personal vehicle.
Never less than 75 miles each way, usually more like 100 miles each way...every day, usually 6 days per week.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
I've been in a couple of accidents, 1/2 of which were my fault (I had a license for a very short and then went to college with no driving for most of the year). All of the ones that were my fault were of my own arrogance. I thought I could eat a Kit Kat bar, juggle my Ipod and move along in bumper to bumper traffic without paying attention to the car in front of me. Bump. Crap, hit the car in front at 2 mph. This happened again later, which really pissed me off (completely angry at myself for costing myself and others money, just for being too incompetent to be doing 5 things at once in bumper to bumper traffic).

Recently, the other half of my accidents were from other people rear ending me. And not at bumper to bumper speeds either.

Sucks to learn the hard way, but yea, multitasking while driving just doesn't work.

My only incident was scraping the bumper on a concrete wall in my Mom's minivan when I was 16. Now I drive more carefully in parkades lol.

The Young Drivers program teaches you to avoid being rear-ended in most situations (thankfully I haven't had to use it yet). Brake early to warn the driver behind you, then cruise to a stop. Either leave space in the next lane or a couple car lengths ahead for an escape. If someone's coming up on you and not stopping, you can creep forward, or dart into the next lane over.

In gridlocked traffic, there's not much you can do, but then you won't get hit very hard either.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Driving from my house to jobs in the SF Bay area, I averaged 40,000-60,000 miles every year on my personal vehicle.
Never less than 75 miles each way, usually more like 100 miles each way...every day, usually 6 days per week.

You get 50 cents a gallon right? I've put a lot of miles on my car but at least, it ends up paying for itself after it hits around 60 thousand miles.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007

That's a pretty foreign concept to many Canadians, especially Vancouverites. Most of us commute on city streets since we have few highways/freeways, so the distances are much shorter. Even 20-30 miles one way is a LONG commute here.

I only drive on weekends (use transit during the week) so I average about 7000 km/year; most Canadians average around 20,000 km (12,000 mi) annually.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
You get 50 cents a gallon right? I've put a lot of miles on my car but at least, it ends up paying for itself after it hits around 60 thousand miles.

50 cents a gallon for what? Regular unleaded is about $3.00 right now.

I don't think I've ever owned a vehicle that got more than 25 mpg...most have gotten ~15-20 tops.
My 03 Jetta is supposed to get about 30 on the highway, but it's too dammed uncomfortable for any distance.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001

That's SoCal for you. I did a lot of driving between home and school (600 miles round trip), the trip to Vancouver of course (3000 miles round trip), and my daily commute is about 45 miles.

My car did blend in quite well in Vancouver though. A dirty Mazda 3 hatch. They are popular here, but I see more sedans than hatches. Most of the Mazda 3s in Canada I saw were hatches. It made me happy that you guys enjoy the practical side of hatches. :) Non-signaling pisses me off though. It's not really a problem in SoCal, but whenever I go to NorCal I have to remind myself that most people just don't signal.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Sucks to learn the hard way, but yea, multitasking while driving just doesn't work.

My only incident was scraping the bumper on a concrete wall in my Mom's minivan when I was 16. Now I drive more carefully in parkades lol.

The Young Drivers program teaches you to avoid being rear-ended in most situations (thankfully I haven't had to use it yet). Brake early to warn the driver behind you, then cruise to a stop. Either leave space in the next lane or a couple car lengths ahead for an escape. If someone's coming up on you and not stopping, you can creep forward, or dart into the next lane over.

In gridlocked traffic, there's not much you can do, but then you won't get hit very hard either.

People probably love it when they find me in front of them. Basically, I don't brake.... I drive as fast as I can with a set approximate distance and estimate closing distance based on the travel of the group in front of me. Foot would be hovering above brake and will put short bursts of gas as needed. (This ends up being the most fuel economical as well). If you see me going down a slow moving group, my lane and people behind me would be going a steady 35mph - 40mph or so without stopping (unless the whole traffic in front stops for a long period)while the other lanes stop and stop, stop and go.

I love it when I get behind someone who is as skilled as well.

I also drive with the motto of "Don't get in my way, and I won't get in yours". If I'm the leader at a light, I'll accelerate briskly so people behind me won't have to wait. I hate being pissed off because the first person of the group at the light apparently hypermiles from stop, and then light turns back to red when I get to it.

If I'm on the left lane, I will let you pass if I see you the mirror. It doesn't matter if I'm going 100 mph, I will still let you pass if I see it is your intention.

If I get behind someone in the left lane going below the speed limit and/or slower than the right lane, I will be seriously pissed. IF they don't pull right, I will pass them like crazy and make sure they know they are being fuckers. Sometimes, they realize this and pull right after I pass them.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
That's a pretty foreign concept to many Canadians, especially Vancouverites. Most of us commute on city streets since we have few highways/freeways, so the distances are much shorter. Even 20-30 miles one way is a LONG commute here.

I only drive on weekends (use transit during the week) so I average about 7000 km/year; most Canadians average around 20,000 km (12,000 mi) annually.

I think I average about 3,000 km per year. :hmm:

KT

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
50 cents a gallon for what? Regular unleaded is about $3.00 right now.

I don't think I've ever owned a vehicle that got more than 25 mpg...most have gotten ~15-20 tops.
My 03 Jetta is supposed to get about 30 on the highway, but it's too dammed uncomfortable for any distance.

50 cents a mile... my bad. Federal IRS mileage rates :)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
50 cents a mile... my bad. Federal IRS mileage rates :)

:biggrin: I wish someone paid me to drive...

However, due to some technicalities in the US Tax Code, my CPA was always able to deduct MOST of my mileage as work-related expenses.

May 13, 2009
I highly doubt you are the superior anything...especially the superior driver...

I held a Class A license (or its equivalent) for more than 35 years.

I know there are several other ATOTers who also hold/held commercial driving licenses and who are probably far superior to lil Froot Loops when it comes to driving...and our dogs/cats are probably better drivers than that Canuckistanian vehicle terrarest...Locut0s :p

Looks down at drivers license...
Class:AM
Endorsements:T Double/Triple trailer N Tank Vehicle

looks like I am legally licensed to drive any vehicle(big rig, motorcycle, car) that operates on the roadways in the U.S.

Laughs at froot loops boy

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
lol at the commercial truck drivers thinking that equates to track driving as a past time.

At least you guys can haul your own double wides.

May 13, 2009
lol at the commercial truck drivers thinking that equates to track driving as a past time.

At least you guys can haul your own double wides.

Sorry don't own a double wide. Nice troll though. I would say a commercial truck driver makes you more of a qualified driver than some 16 year old froot loops eater. That is all we're saying.

What's your deal with money? Are you supposed to be some rich guy? From my experience people who brag about money don't usually have it.

Riceninja

Golden Member
May 21, 2008

white rock to burnaby monday through friday. im fast and furious on hwy 91

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Sorry don't own a double wide. Nice troll though. I would say a commercial truck driver makes you more of a qualified driver than some 16 year old froot loops eater. That is all we're saying.

What's your deal with money? Are you supposed to be some rich guy? From my experience people who brag about money don't usually have it.

I wasn't talking directly to you. I hope you realize that.

You are right when you are comparing driving to a 16 year old about 99% of the time.

I have stated here I am not rich many times...really don't see where I was bragging about anything. It seems most truckers own mobile homes down here in Florida...many try to bring their rig home, but are quickly shown the rules about commercial vehicles and the like.

Didn't mean to attack you about being poor.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Just be a defensive driver and you'll be fine. I haven't had any accidents here living in Cali. I never trust other drivers out on the road. I always let the other person go first. I always heed the right of way. I will never trust another driver to know what they are doing.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Bad luck? Bullshit - bad driving. Luck had nothing to do with it. What if I was hauling a trailer or a boat behind my car, your excuse for pulling out into it would be that it was tailgating my car? You're a horrible driver if you think there's any excuse for pulling into traffic and causing an accident. If our country didn't treat driver's licenses as an entitlement rather than something you earn, your license ought to be yanked right now & you forced into drivers ed for a year or something.

Yeah I shouldn't have said bad luck. I agree this was my fault, I le my guard down and didn't check properly.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Dude...shoulder check. Always. Turn your head as far around as you can and make sure nothing is there before you pull out. The mirrors are not enough.

Also, I can't stress enough that you should take the full Young Drivers program. 2 weeks of driving school is not nearly enough.

https://www.yd.com/chooser/courses.aspx

Look at the BA course. This will teach you how to proactively avoid problems and use emergency maneuvers. I took the program years ago and I've avoided numerous incidents because of it. Trust me, this will be one of the best investments you make.

Yeah I'm thinking of taking some courses. May stop driving for a little while as I don't want to spend the money for courses right now till I have a job.

Ome thing's for sure this hasn't helped my emotional problems or sense of self worth. I don't take this kind of thing well I guess.

Last edited: