In a perfect world...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
IMO, it would be the best possible combination of CPU and GPU that isn't out of the realm of physical possibility. In my eyes, perfect.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
I would assume that it's highly illegal for Microsoft to hijack your computer in such a manner. FUD.

Its not FUD its called a EULA. It is perfectly legal for them to hijack your control in such a manner.

It is called Trusted Computing and microsoft and others have been trying to get laws passed that would mandate it being in every PC. These laws failed due to public outcry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgFbqSYdNK4
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/05/who_owns_your_c.html

The only question is really whether MS is really gonna sneak in trusted computing with win8 without first getting laws mandating it. The really good anti trusted computing documents have been taken down (the above three links are somewhat meh) and the websites don't work anymore.
I am not sure if it was them being short sighted (after congress victory) or corporate censorship but the bottom line is the links don't work anymore, I did some searching and found the above 3 links.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
... laptop makers would carry lines of notebooks that marry business class build quality, good screens, and mid-to-high end consumer GPUs; rather than forcing buyers to choose between design compromises they hate the least.

So true, and welcome to the forums djsb! :thumbsup:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
how is a 96 bit bus perfect, compared to a 384 or even a 256 bit bus?

Yeah probably a 128-bit bus would be more realistic in the context that I understand it.

The Llano is very sensitive to memory bandwidth, and the whole thing is limited to a 128-bit memory interface (dual-channel DDR3).

A mobo would have to have either a seperate pair of memory slots for the GPU to memory interface, or some onboard ram that connects to this. A hypothetical CPU like this would need a fair number of extra pins as well.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
In a perfect world I would own nvidia or AMD. I'd convince Apple to make their computers upgradeable and I'd charge 50% more for the same graphics cards for Macs, but make the pcb's white and call them "i-GPU's". I'd make millions upon millions, and build a gaming pc with 6 graphics cards to play my console port games.
; )

Really? In a perfect world there would be better games to take advantage of what I already have, and give me a reason to upgrade to a 7970.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Intel CPU's would have integrated Radeon graphics and a dedicated 96-bit GDDR5 GPU bus.
Anyone else out there with "in a perfect world" thoughts/comments?

No, just no. I like discrete graphiics. We don't need the likes of high end GPU's going away because intel decides to put a 7970 on die. Screw that.

I want nvidia and AMD radeon to duke each other out for discrete card championship. I don't want either to go out of business. (which they would if IGP's performed similarly to high end GPUs) Leave the IGP crap for Laptops.

Last edited:

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Jessica Alba would answer my letters instead of her lawyers. :awe:

Last edited:

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
Yeah probably a 128-bit bus would be more realistic in the context that I understand it.

The Llano is very sensitive to memory bandwidth, and the whole thing is limited to a 128-bit memory interface (dual-channel DDR3).

A mobo would have to have either a seperate pair of memory slots for the GPU to memory interface, or some onboard ram that connects to this. A hypothetical CPU like this would need a fair number of extra pins as well.

Llano wouldn't be sensitive to main memory bandwidth if the GPU had a dedicated bus.
It would have a 128 or 192-bit main memory bus. (depending on whether or not it would need the extra bandwidth from a third channel)

Last edited:

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
No, just no. I like discrete graphiics. We don't need the likes of high end GPU's going away because intel decides to put a 7970 on die. Screw that.

I want nvidia and AMD radeon to duke each other out for discrete card championship. I don't want either to go out of business. (which they would if IGP's performed similarly to high end GPUs) Leave the IGP crap for Laptops.

I wasn't thinking of a 7970-class GPU on the die. More like 6670-6770 class. (With GCN arch, of course)

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I wasn't thinking of a 7970-class GPU on the die. More like 6670-6770 class. (With GCN arch, of course)

I certainly hope not. That would destroy the low end markets that AMD and NV compete in, it would really suck if AMD/NV went out of business because of something like this. An IGP that good would most certainly eat into a TON of discrete sales.

I cannot support this :|

brybir

Jun 18, 2009

But, I would love to see what Intel would be capable of it it had the engineering knowledge that AMD has in the graphics category. Think more along the lines of Intel (who has someone absorbed AMD) and is competing against the likes of Nvidia. Now that would be one heck of a fight!

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
But, I would love to see what Intel would be capable of it it had the engineering knowledge that AMD has in the graphics category. Think more along the lines of Intel (who has someone absorbed AMD) and is competing against the likes of Nvidia. Now that would be one heck of a fight!

this completely ignores the fact that thermals and die size are an issue.