In a perfect world...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Not like it would ever happen but in a " perfect world " of computers that is.

AMD/Nvidia/Intel would all go down into a top secreet bunker. They would stay as long as it takes and emerge with a triple cross licensing deal. A new platform would be born. Each one walks away with a smile on their faces.

The new platform:
Industry standard socket: S???? < 5yr life guarantee per cross-licensing agreement
Industry standard integrated graphics < codeveloped by both AMD and Nvidia
Industry standard feature sets for both the CPU/GPU. No company X gets Y only.

What they get:
Intel: Much needed GPU help. The ability to be competetive in the dicreet gpu market.
AMD: Kick in the arse to get there CPU's up to snuff. The ability to play on level ground like in the old days when you could just swap your chip from AMD, Intel, Cyrix, etc.
Nvidia: The ability to make CPU's

What we get:
A somewhat future proof rig with the ability to make our buying decisions on who makes the best product to fit our needs. The ability to seemlessly upgrade from Intel to AMD to Nvidia without conflicts.

Of course by the time this happens we'll all be using a Apple product :)

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
and how is this thread appropriate for the video card forum? can you really not see how silly and useless this is? people come here for real help, suggestions and discussions not random ramblings.

People come here for more than just what you think they come here for.

No one is required to read every post of every thread, and if you can't find anything productive to contribute to a thread then you are expected to refrain from posting in it.

These forums are a privilege, not a right. You should conduct yourself in a way that outwardly indicates that you recognize and appreciate the difference.

Administrator Idontcare
yeah you are right. so let me contribute then...

in a perfect world we would get 120 fps from integrated video that costs nothing and is completely free. it would use no wattage at all either so no impact on our power bill. there that should be in the spirit of this thread. and that is not thread crapping since it is just as logical as what the OP posted. ;)

Last edited:

brybir

Jun 18, 2009
yeah you are right. so let me contribute then...

in a perfect world we would get 120 fps from integrated video that costs nothing and is completely free. it would use no wattage at all either so no impact on our power bill. there that should be in the spirit of this thread. and that is not thread crapping since it is just as logical as what the OP posted. ;)

The OP was just expressing a hypothetical product that he would like to see and or purchase. He is expressing that desire in terms of technology available today, i.e. an integrated product that has the capabilities of a Intel Core i5/i7 and a a solid radeon graphics core. He then stated he would like to see dedicated memory to enhance the part. This is not an illogical statement, and his way of describing what he thinks would be interesting if he were building a product is fairly common.

I could say in a perfect world that I want my SUV to have a Ferrari engine in it. Does this mean I really want a Ferrari engine in my SUV? No, but you get the clear message that I want my SUV to gain some of the performance characteristics commonly associated with a Ferrari.

Besides, even if he came in the forum and said he wants to build a video card out of maple tree bark so that it smells like maple syrup when it runs, we can still enjoy the comment for what it is, and those of us that find some merit in discussing it will do so. Somewhat pointless discussion? Yep. But that does not mean there is no merit in having the discussion.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
brybir, well AFAIK there is no such thing as a 96 bit controller and Intel would not use an AMD graphics core in their cpu. so yes what he said is very illogical and is no different then your Ferrari engine analogy.

brybir

Jun 18, 2009
brybir, well AFAIK there is no such thing as a 96 bit controller and Intel would not use an AMD graphics core in their cpu. so yes what he said is very illogical and is no different then your Ferrari engine analogy.

Well, you are entirely missing the point, as I stated in my post. Don't be so literal. The OP was not being entirely literal, nor was I in my example, and I think you know that.

And even if the OP was being entirely literal, it is not completly impossible that Intel could someday buy up AMDs graphics technologies (say, if AMD were to go into bankruptcy and the IP sold off) to integrate into future products.

While I agree that a 96-bit memory controller is unlikely, it is certainly not impossible to make if the right application came along that would somehow benefit from 3x32bit databus connections.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Well, you are entirely missing the point, as I stated in my post. Don't be so literal. The OP was not being entirely literal, nor was I in my example, and I think you know that.

And even if the OP was being entirely literal, it is not completly impossible that Intel could someday buy up AMDs graphics technologies (say, if AMD were to go into bankruptcy and the IP sold off) to integrate into future products.

While I agree that a 96-bit memory controller is unlikely, it is certainly not impossible to make if the right application came along that would somehow benefit from 3x32bit databus connections.
well my point is when you start off a thread with a very illogical scenario and then ask what people want in a perfect world its doing nothing but opening up a silly can of worms. this thread is worse than anything tweakboy comes up with and most of his crazy threads get locked. I think its sad that mods even let nonsense like this continue as this thread has no real point.

Has no real point TO YOU. Which means you need to make the decision to stay out of it and move along because to you there is nothing to see here.

But now you've gone and added a member callout (Tweakboy) to this thread in addition to posting yet another thread-crap.

Four infractions in one day and still not getting the message? :hmm: Time to take a little time off for personal reflection.

Administrator Idontcare

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
It would be nice to see the rollout of motherboards with onboard garbage stop.

It would also be nice if onboard GPUs could be standardized somehow so they would be upgradeable like CPU sockets. This would give laptops a lot of bang for their buck.

Well, there is MXM. Which is a mobile GPU socket that is based off of PCI-E.
However, it is only found in high-end gaming laptops and the parts are only enthusiast-class, (AFAIK) very expensive and hard to find.

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
I agree with the post about pc games. In my perfect world Microsoft would have not tried for the Xbox and instead focused its efforts on PC gaming. I wonder how that would affected developers attitudes towards PC games. Then again maybe that would have been the worst thing to happen to PC gaming. I just wish we'd get less console ports really. Make that my perfect world. Focus more on taking advantage of the cards we have now, stop catering to the lowest common denominator.

I wish that instead of console ports, all of the console games would be ported from PC. :awe:

Last edited:

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
In a perfect world, developers would actually optimize PC games for PCs instead of continually porting the console version.

djsb

Jun 14, 2011
... laptop makers would carry lines of notebooks that marry business class build quality, good screens, and mid-to-high end consumer GPUs; rather than forcing buyers to choose between design compromises they hate the least.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I agree with the post about pc games. In my perfect world Microsoft would have not tried for the Xbox and instead focused its efforts on PC gaming. I wonder how that would affected developers attitudes towards PC games. Then again maybe that would have been the worst thing to happen to PC gaming. I just wish we'd get less console ports really. Make that my perfect world. Focus more on taking advantage of the cards we have now, stop catering to the lowest common denominator.

This I agree with. It's a dangerous, slippery slope. The IBM PC-compatible platform has always been a more or less open platform, you can run whatever programs you want, compile, install other OSes, etc.

But when MS saw the margins that Sony/Nintendo/etc, were making off of their closed platforms, they decided to get into that biz themselves. Instead of embracing the openness of the PC platform, especially for gaming (mods, etc.), they moved most of PC gaming towards a closed platform. So closed, that you get banned from playing online, if you buy/install a 3rd-party hard drive.

And now, with Windows 8, they are trying to close off the PC platform entirely. New branded Windows 8 PCs, will ship with a crypto bootloader in the UEFI BIOS, that will ONLY BOOT WINDOWS. No other OS. No Linux.

And they are going to distribute programs for Windows 8, through their "app store", that they control, and can restrict programs from being distributed. ("Free/Open-source" media player that competes with WMP? Nope. Not going to be allowed on Windows 8.)

I'm fearful of a world in which there are no truely open general-purpose computing platforms anymore - instead, tech corporations have their own little fiefdoms, and the entire world gets moved backwards, from a free and democratic society based on individual ownership, backwards to the days of feudalism, where the individuals never had a legal right of ownership on anything, and all they could do to survive, was work off of the land of the nobility.

You can see the start of this with software licensing, and activation/DRM schemes, where the pieces of software YOU PAID FOR, AND SHOULD OWN, can be arbitrarily taken away from you, without recourse.

And of course, the corporations are ABOVE THE LAW, because of their adhesion contracts, that says they can never be taken to court.

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
This I agree with. It's a dangerous, slippery slope. The IBM PC-compatible platform has always been a more or less open platform, you can run whatever programs you want, compile, install other OSes, etc.

But when MS saw the margins that Sony/Nintendo/etc, were making off of their closed platforms, they decided to get into that biz themselves. Instead of embracing the openness of the PC platform, especially for gaming (mods, etc.), they moved most of PC gaming towards a closed platform. So closed, that you get banned from playing online, if you buy/install a 3rd-party hard drive.

And now, with Windows 8, they are trying to close off the PC platform entirely. New branded Windows 8 PCs, will ship with a crypto bootloader in the UEFI BIOS, that will ONLY BOOT WINDOWS. No other OS. No Linux.

And they are going to distribute programs for Windows 8, through their "app store", that they control, and can restrict programs from being distributed. ("Free/Open-source" media player that competes with WMP? Nope. Not going to be allowed on Windows 8.)

I'm fearful of a world in which there are no truely open general-purpose computing platforms anymore - instead, tech corporations have their own little fiefdoms, and the entire world gets moved backwards, from a free and democratic society based on individual ownership, backwards to the days of feudalism, where the individuals never had a legal right of ownership on anything, and all they could do to survive, was work off of the land of the nobility.

You can see the start of this with software licensing, and activation/DRM schemes, where the pieces of software YOU PAID FOR, AND SHOULD OWN, can be arbitrarily taken away from you, without recourse.

And of course, the corporations are ABOVE THE LAW, because of their adhesion contracts, that says they can never be taken to court.

Where did you hear this? That is absolutely appalling.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
I would assume that it's highly illegal for Microsoft to hijack your computer in such a manner. FUD.

If you bought it then you should have known about it going into the puirchase, i suspect that they will (sickeningly) get away witht his.