In a perfect world...

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
Intel CPU's would have integrated Radeon graphics and a dedicated 96-bit GDDR5 GPU bus.
Anyone else out there with "in a perfect world" thoughts/comments?

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
people would not make random senseless threads...

Even if this were true, which its not, but if it were true then the ONLY appropriate response from you would have been that of reporting the post and leaving the matter to the moderators without furthering your involvement one iota.

And you already know this, which makes your inappropriate behavior here all the more disappointing.

Thread-crapping is not acceptable. End of story. Keep it up and it can be the end of story in more ways than one...

Administrator Idontcare

Last edited by a moderator:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
and how is this thread appropriate for the video card forum? can you really not see how silly and useless this is? people come here for real help, suggestions and discussions not random ramblings.

People come here for more than just what you think they come here for.

No one is required to read every post of every thread, and if you can't find anything productive to contribute to a thread then you are expected to refrain from posting in it.

These forums are a privilege, not a right. You should conduct yourself in a way that outwardly indicates that you recognize and appreciate the difference.

Administrator Idontcare

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I will leave you two geniuses alone then...:rolleyes:

Personal attacks and insults are not acceptable.

Take some time to familiarize yourself with the following portions of the AnandTech Forum Guidelines:
1) No trolling, flaming or personally attacking members. Deftly attacking ideas and backing up arguments with facts is acceptable and encouraged. Attacking other members personally and purposefully causing trouble with no motive other than to upset the crowd is not allowed.
We want to give all our members as much freedom as possible while maintaining an environment that encourages productive discussion. It is our desire to encourage our members to share their knowledge and experiences in order to benefit the rest of the community, while also providing a place for people to come and just hang out.

We also intend to encourage respect and responsibility among members in order to maintain order and civility. Our social forums will have a relaxed atmosphere, but other forums will be expected to remain on-topic and posts should be helpful, relevant and professional.

We ask for respect and common decency towards your fellow forum members.
Administrator Idontcare

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
So, just ignore the thread? It's not like the board is filled with useless ramblings.

SwiftWind

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2004
Intel CPU's would have integrated Radeon graphics and a dedicated 96-bit GDDR5 GPU bus.

It would be nice to see the rollout of motherboards with onboard garbage stop.

It would also be nice if onboard GPUs could be standardized somehow so they would be upgradeable like CPU sockets. This would give laptops a lot of bang for their buck.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
In a perfect world IGPs would be left where they belong, laptops and SFF pc's.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
In a perfect world APU's would be powerful and there would be software/instructions to take advantage of them.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
In a perfect world APU's would be powerful and there would be software/instructions to take advantage of them.

^ this.

Trinity is gonna be nice, but still held back by memory bandwidth.

I have one:

In a perfect World, we would already have DDR4 in PC's.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
In a perfect world, developers would use the power of our CPUs and GPUs to the fullest, optimize their games (Skyrim...cough) and give us near photorealistic games with a great deal of interactivity.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
intel CPU with integrated AMD or even nVidia GPU would be awesome, however we're not quite to the point where integration would be good enough for gaming

I'd still much rather have more intel cores (ie mainstream intel platforms look to be stuck with 4 cores for the next couple of generations including Ivy and Haswell) and perhaps a more refined system for CPU <-> GPU communication, a GPU as a co-processor perhaps. At any rate a proper CPU and GPU are far too big to be sharing the same space.

that being said I'd have to agree with boxleitnerb, there are far too few games that are properly produced to fully and/or most efficiently exploit the higher end hardware that we do have, and thus a perfect world could very well just be something like giving everyone the same high end system even if it didn't have the absolute highest end parts it would be enough to have developers program games perfectly for everyone

Last edited:

brybir

Jun 18, 2009
intel CPU with integrated AMD or even nVidia GPU would be awesome, however we're not quite to the point where integration would be good enough for gaming

I'd still much rather have more intel cores (ie mainstream intel platforms look to be stuck with 4 cores for the next couple of generations including Ivy and Haswell) and perhaps a more refined system for CPU <-> GPU communication, a GPU as a co-processor perhaps. At any rate a proper CPU and GPU are far too big to be sharing the same space.

that being said I'd have to agree with boxleitnerb, there are far too few games that are properly produced to fully and/or most efficiently exploit the higher end hardware that we do have, and thus a perfect world could very well just be something like giving everyone the same high end system even if it didn't have the absolute highest end parts it would be enough to have developers program games perfectly for everyone

Outside of gaming though, a robust integrated GPU/CPU/Specialized instruction CPU is something that would be well received.

When I used to work in banking, we would have killed for the encrypt/decrypt hardware functions on new CPUs and our other analysts would have just loved to have GPGPU type acceleration in some tasks, as it was sometimes pretty tedious. So for those users, they get a 2 module CPU, 1 Radeon module, and one hardware encrypt/decrypt CPU. And I know the complaint...why not get a good Intel quad core and pair it up with a Quatro card? Some of the folks only need the GPGPU support a few hours a week, so spending $500 or more and the extra power cost is not always the best investment.

Perhaps other users I worked with would not benefit from GPGPU and decryption and do more typical office tasks, so their "CPU" would just be two standard modules without the Radeon Care and hardware encrypt/decrypt (to save power etc).

Imagine a typical third user that validates ARM applications and could have 2 AMD CPU modules, a Radeon Module, and an ARM module all in the same socket.

While the third case is a little more challenging to implement, I think the path of the industry is increasingly moving toword more customization of "CPUs" and the GPU is going to be a big component of that, and it will increasingly be aimed toward the work world, since as this thread points out, a Radeon core running GPGPU provides a substantial improvement in applications that can utilize it, while they are at best mediocre in gaming.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
The forum is also graphics in nature and the thread is a welcomed one.

I don't believe in a perfect world though and don't allow perfection or idealism to be the enemy of good.

AMD has taken great strides with their APU strategies and think they can be disruptive technologies. I would like to see not only Intel do more for integrated but join in the discrete arena.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Actually, for this to happen... AMD has first to go the 3dfx route. History repeats itself :D

Eugene86

Dec 18, 2007

An integrated AMD gpu? Oh God no. That would be less a perfect world and more of a hell.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
AGREED!!! :thumbsdown:
The serious problem will be when SoC > traditional computing. It's sure nice to have all-in-1 solutions but the functionality and performance will certainly be sacrificed to some significant extent. The problem is... the mainstream will prefer these solutions and you guys will be left as a minority. Myself included.

The set trend is clear, everything gets simplified. Programs, hardware... eventually people will be used to it and then it might not be lucrative enough to cater the niche markets, at least at reasonable price points. Evolution my ass.

I hope, I am wrong though :D

Last edited:

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004

Your assertion is that an IGP with 96bit bus and DDR5 and Radeon would be perfect. I disagree.
the radeon IGPs might be several times more powerful then intels, and their drivers have a much larger development team and is clearly superior to intels.

But its still just an IGP with horrible unplayable performance. A modern IGP can run cell phone games.
It cannot even properly play console ports and I would much rather stick to a beefy GPu which gives me enjoyable high quality graphics.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
An integrated AMD gpu? Oh God no. That would be less a perfect world and more of a hell.

Then I guess we already live in the deepest depths of hell considering how many systems are subject to intel's integrated GPUs.

As much as you might disfavor AMD for whatever reason, the vast majority would greatly welcome AMD GPU design integrated with Intel CPU design instead of having to settle for intel's own GPU design or a subpar discrete GPU solution in a mobile system

Last edited:

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
I thought of another...

In a perfect world, Intel's fabs would agree to make GPU's for AMD :)

We would have 22nm finfet GPUs that would use half of the power they currently do or something like that :D

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
In a perfect world, there would be great, insightful, informative posts and threads without personal attacks and finger pointing!:)

pw38

Apr 21, 2010
I agree with the post about pc games. In my perfect world Microsoft would have not tried for the Xbox and instead focused its efforts on PC gaming. I wonder how that would affected developers attitudes towards PC games. Then again maybe that would have been the worst thing to happen to PC gaming. I just wish we'd get less console ports really. Make that my perfect world. Focus more on taking advantage of the cards we have now, stop catering to the lowest common denominator.