Impressions of a T40 owner...

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OldSpooky

Nov 28, 2002
I don't think you need a seperate adapter for the 6 and 9 cell - don't quote me on that though.

nicowju

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2001
got the 6-cell from IBM's site for $182 after tax; you don't need a separate charger, as only one can be in the machine at once (it's just a replacement for the 9-cell). The other one you can get is the ultrabay slim polymer battery, which takes the place of the optical drive. but you don't need a separate adapter for that either

caltrinity

May 10, 2003
MOCCCA,

Please keep us updated as to what IBM is going to do about it... if you read the other thread...

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=51&threadid=1044134&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

Mine also does that too..

What FRU P/N is your AC Adapter

Where and when was your T40 made..

IT seems to be with mostly CHina made ones..

-caltrinity

Originally posted by: mocca
I'm very upset right now since the replacement unit I recieve from IBM today is very badly built. The palmrest area is bulging up and there is a mark on it as well. It also have a problem with hissing noise as well. It is mainly come from the left side of the laptop. You can hear it most obvious when connect the AC adapter to the laptop (without booting the laptop). Can other owner of T40 (or T40p) try to hear this noise. There are two ways you can listen to the noise

1) Plug in the AC adapter, don't boot up the machine. Put your ear near the AC connector on the back of the laptop. You should hear high pitch static hissing noise. It is not loud so you might need to be in a quiet room to hear it but it is there non the less
2) During a windows session, change the power setting to "Always On" and the noise will be obvious. Note that you need to place your ear near the left side of the keyboard to hear the noise.

I'm really mad right now :| I talked to a technical support and he offer me to get a replacement unit or sending it in for service. The replacement unit will, however, take a long time to get and not to mention that IBM need to charge you for the replacement and will refund the old one (the process which can take sometimes and can become quite messy).

Mocca

Resh

Oct 12, 1999
lothix,

Awesome! Please choose a bench where there are publicly available numbers from the 1.6GHz with Radeon 9000 so that we can compare (mention where the public set are located when you post). Better yet, co-ordinate with Nicowju and both of you run the same benchies.

Thanks a ton!

N

mocca

May 3, 2003
I started the thread about the static noise. Mine is made in Mexico and the AC Adapter is made in China. There are two P/N on the Ac Adapter though.

Mocca

mocca

May 3, 2003
Ok, I find out the FRU on the AC Adapter. It is 08K8205. Let's post on the thread I started since many people with the same problem post on that already. If everyone list the model, origin of the machine, part, ac and battery FRU and the level of noise (or no noise), we may be able to isolate the problem and find a way to solve it.

Mocca

caltrinity

May 10, 2003
I think I'm considering a T40p with 1.6 p-m and SXGA+ screen... the main reason is for the screen... HOWEVER, as you have seen in my posts and many posts, can T40p owners of SXGA+ screens comment on the following:

1) is there as BUZZING sound as described here: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=51&threadid=1044134&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

2) How does the screen compare to a regular T40 XGA screen? My T40 XGA screen doesn't seem to be as bright and have a good viewing angle as some of the newer SXGA screens... can anyone comment on this?

Thank you.

-caltrinity

Resh

Oct 12, 1999
lothix,

you posting those results soon?

thanks! don't mean to be pushy, just excited (far too excited to be healthy) :)

N

Shivatron

Apr 9, 2003
Originally posted by: Resh
lothix,

you posting those results soon?

thanks! don't mean to be pushy, just excited (far too excited to be healthy) :)

N

He posted them already. They're here.

HTH!

azazello

May 10, 2003
I will post comparable 3dmark results for the T40 237358U (Radeon 9000 32MB) once I get my T40 tomorrow (hopefully). Watch Lothix's thread.

Kangaroo802

Apr 24, 2003
I GOT MY REPLACEMENT

Nothing is wrong with it so far (no noise problem and it turns on normal again, YAY). Knock on wood. Everything is working fine, going to go check uot the wireless to see if thats all good, but other than that it is working fine!

This replacement order was placed on the 7th and was shipped on the 9th and i got it today the 12th.

I'll run some benchmarks soon.

patsun123

Feb 26, 2001
a quick hint for those purchasing t40's or probably any other laptop from IBM.

If you upgrade the RAM, call the CSR and just ask for the separate RAM chip... and then install it yourself.
Upgrading a 256mb base system to 512mb ram would cost around $150...
but...
just buying the extra 256mb chip is around $50.

So it's like $100 for basically 5 minutes work on ur part.

OldSpooky

Nov 28, 2002
:D

I got 2x 256MB soDIMMs from Dell for $35 each shipped - they were supposed to go into my Latitude D600 but since I returned that machine, I put one in my T40. It's rebadged Micron - looks the same as the soDIMM that IBM installed in my T40.

Yeah, so I have an extra soDIMM, if anybody wants to buy it for $35 - get email info from profile.

OldSpooky

Nov 28, 2002
Why aren't you using a 512MB chip instead?

My T40 came with a 256 MB soDIMM installed, and I had two 256 MB soDIMMs lying around, so I thought I'd use one of them.

512 is more than enough for me :)

Oct 29, 2001
A few T40 questions:

1. Overall I've been very impressed with everything I've heard and read about the T40, save the potential noise issue. Has there been any word of a potential hardware update to the line that would fix this problem? Basically I'm asking if I buy the T40 in the next two weeks will I watch soon after as IBM updates the machine for an fix or a general upgrade?

2. What is the quantitative difference between the 64MB FIRE GL 9000 card and the non-FIRE 64MB graphics card. Do they have desktop equivalents (notebook benchmarking being hard to find)? Have I halucineated a 64MB non-FIRE card or is that an option? Or do you have to go down to the 32MB card from the FIRE card. I ask because I'm trying to maximize the value for the dollar in an already expensive proposition, for CAD and gaming is the FIRE card a substantial improvement, are there tests to show that?

3. Lastly, where's the best place to buy from? I've heard great things about Kaanza.com (formerly Thinkpaddepot.com) but I'd want to call in my order as I dont' trust the internet to tell me exactly what I'm getting, though maybe a service person isn't any better.

Thanks for any help and I have really appreciated everything I've read in this thread and on these boards.

Michael

bharok

Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Avatar8481
A few T40 questions:

1. Overall I've been very impressed with everything I've heard and read about the T40, save the potential noise issue. Has there been any word of a potential hardware update to the line that would fix this problem? Basically I'm asking if I buy the T40 in the next two weeks will I watch soon after as IBM updates the machine for an fix or a general upgrade?

2. What is the quantitative difference between the 64MB FIRE GL 9000 card and the non-FIRE 64MB graphics card. Do they have desktop equivalents (notebook benchmarking being hard to find)? Have I halucineated a 64MB non-FIRE card or is that an option? Or do you have to go down to the 32MB card from the FIRE card. I ask because I'm trying to maximize the value for the dollar in an already expensive proposition, for CAD and gaming is the FIRE card a substantial improvement, are there tests to show that?

3. Lastly, where's the best place to buy from? I've heard great things about Kaanza.com (formerly Thinkpaddepot.com) but I'd want to call in my order as I dont' trust the internet to tell me exactly what I'm getting, though maybe a service person isn't any better.

Thanks for any help and I have really appreciated everything I've read in this thread and on these boards.

Michael

From the contents of this thread it seems as though IBM may update their laptops by the end of the summer at the same time they may fix this issue.
I would recommend getting it directly from IBM so that way if you want to get a new AC adaptor or return it etc.. it will be easier.
There is no 64MB non-Fire card. Only a 64MB fireGL card (T40p) and a 32MB non-fireGL card. (out of all the models with 32MB cards some have the Radeon 9000 (2373-92U) and others the Radeon 7500)

JZilla

Feb 11, 2003

In case you haven't noticed, here's the benchmark thread.

If I remember correctly, Radeon7500 gets 4100 (more than my desktop, lol), R9000 32mb 5000 and the FireGL 7500.

Oct 29, 2001
Originally posted by: JZilla

In case you haven't noticed, here's the benchmark thread.

If I remember correctly, Radeon7500 gets 4100 (more than my desktop, lol), R9000 32mb 5000 and the FireGL 7500.

Is there any indication when to expect the release of the next generation of mobile chips from ATI/Nvidia or if those new chips will be integrated into the T40 platform? The theoretic performance increase is tempting to hold out for, but then again by always waiting for the next great tech you end up never buying anything. The great debate, buy now or wait continues...

Michael

Resh

Oct 12, 1999
Damn! Why did you have to tell me about that new hard-drive and laptop update in August? Why oh why?

I was soo ready to get a T40p, but now I want to hold off! $hit!

What to do? *stomps off, huffing*

N

mocca

May 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Resh
Damn! Why did you have to tell me about that new hard-drive and laptop update in August? Why oh why?

I was soo ready to get a T40p, but now I want to hold off! $hit!

What to do? *stomps off, huffing*

N

If you want the latest technology on a laptop, you will wait forever :) Trust me, I played that game before and I waited for a perfect laptop nearly 1 1/2 years. Fact is there is no perfect laptop. There is always something wrong with it, either the mfg know, can or cannot solve, or small or big problems. There is also always something better, newer, faster, on the corner. If you need a laptop now, just buy it now and then stick with it for three years. The HDD is easy to change so it should not be a problem. The gfx is another story but ATI M9 should be good enough for every games today and in the near future if you don't want to play at 1600x1200 with 4xFSAA.

Mocca