Impressions of a T40 owner...

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cbagz

Apr 12, 2003
Hey OLDSPOOKY... I also returned my Dell D600! So your taking the plunge on the IBM T40p...cool I was thinking about it now that it's on sale! : ) I will be looking foward to your review. Thx

OldSpooky

Nov 28, 2002
Here's a teaser on what I ordered from ThinkPadDepot.com:

IBM ThinkPad T40 (MFG # (SKU) : 237312U)

1.30 GHz Pentium-M
256 MB DDR-SDRAM
30 GB 4200 RPM HDD
14.1" TFT, 1024x768
32 MB Mobility Radeon 7500
16x10x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD
Integrated 56K modem, 10/100 Ethernet
Wireless Ready
Security Chip
UltraNav Pointing Device (dual trackstick/trackpad)
6 Cell LiIon Battery
Windows XP Pro
Free Targus Case

Cost: $1775 shipped

I decided to forego the wireless for now - I want an 802.11g miniPCI (which IBM does not yet offer as an option). Compared to the D600 I returned, it's a step down in most repsects. However, I have come to value build quality in a notebook more than raw speed, so I think it will be worth it.

OldSpooky

Nov 28, 2002
Is there tax at thinpaddepot?

Nope. Check pricegrabber.com with your zip code. I was not charged tax. ThinkPadDepot and Kaanza merged, so look for Kaanza.com's price.

Pennstate

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
What pisses me off is that even if I buy through IBM's employee program, which gives 15% off of regular prices. After tax, I get about the same deal as going through pricegrabber.

patsun123

Feb 26, 2001
can anyone list out some model #'s of the t40's that have the mobility radeon 9000 in them? When I look at all the models that the IBM website lists... the best t40 is like $1000 less than the t40p... i was just wondering if there was any middle ground.

Kangaroo802

Apr 24, 2003
OH MY GOSH, this is retarded.....

So, I turn off my T40 last night, and I wake up this morning at 8:00 and try and turn it on and the screen is all jacked with this repeating pattern of colors. Turn it off and on a bunch of times and it still does that over and over. I call the help place and they don't even try and say I should send it in. Forget that I just got it last friday and its dead, im sending it back to get a new one. That's really messed up. Nothing against this machine when it was working, probably best i've had. But if it dies after 5 days!!!!! ARGH

Resh

Oct 12, 1999
Hope that one is an isolated incident. Let us know if the replacement is OK.

Little Louie!!!! Where are those FireGL Benchmarks?

Nicowju: Your unit still OK?

N
Wanna-be T40 owner

Kangaroo802

Apr 24, 2003
hey, so i called back this afternoon and it was no problem to return. They are picking it up tomorrow fedex (at their cost). And a new order has been placed for the same one. Unfortunately i have to wait for their back order period again. Which they estimated about 10 business days. ARGH. I hope this new one is ok.

Resh

Oct 12, 1999
Thanks OldSpooky. Very enlightening.

I still want a T40p owner to post some FireGl benchies.

It would be great if nicowju and Little Louie would run the same benches and post the results!

Louie? Where are you?

N

bharok

Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Resh
Thanks OldSpooky. Very enlightening.

I still want a T40p owner to post some FireGl benchies.

It would be great if nicowju and Little Louie would run the same benches and post the results!

Louie? Where are you?

N

Check out this Anandtech Review. There are several benchmarks for the t40p as well as one of the lower end t40 models

mocca

May 3, 2003
I'm very upset right now since the replacement unit I recieve from IBM today is very badly built. The palmrest area is bulging up and there is a mark on it as well. It also have a problem with hissing noise as well. It is mainly come from the left side of the laptop. You can hear it most obvious when connect the AC adapter to the laptop (without booting the laptop). Can other owner of T40 (or T40p) try to hear this noise. There are two ways you can listen to the noise

1) Plug in the AC adapter, don't boot up the machine. Put your ear near the AC connector on the back of the laptop. You should hear high pitch static hissing noise. It is not loud so you might need to be in a quiet room to hear it but it is there non the less
2) During a windows session, change the power setting to "Always On" and the noise will be obvious. Note that you need to place your ear near the left side of the keyboard to hear the noise.

I'm really mad right now :| I talked to a technical support and he offer me to get a replacement unit or sending it in for service. The replacement unit will, however, take a long time to get and not to mention that IBM need to charge you for the replacement and will refund the old one (the process which can take sometimes and can become quite messy).

Mocca

OldSpooky

Nov 28, 2002
It also have a problem with hissing noise as well. It is mainly come from the left side of the laptop. You can hear it most obvious when connect the AC adapter to the laptop (without booting the laptop). Can other owner of T40 (or T40p) try to hear this noise

Yes - Mine does this for some undetermined reason. It is not as bad as the Dell, but annoying nonetheless. Sucks that your replacement isn't that good - mine is almost perfect except for that damn chirping in the left side.

Kangaroo802

Apr 24, 2003
hey, i guess its a luck of the draw with the ones you get, cause mine died after 5 days. This doesnt sound so good. However, it is nice how they are quick about it. I didn't actually wait that long for mine, I called yesterday and they 1) picked up the messed up one next day (today) and 2) my order is already packing as of today (5/8/03).....

Also, for those of you who are looking into buying a T40. If you are buying for a business and this is a first time purchase, you are able to get 20% off that purchase. That is 5% more than the EPP program i was able to get. Basically you'd get the T40p for 2679.2+tax of your state. That's pretty good. Make sure you ask about that discount if you're buying for a company.

bharok

Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Kangaroo802
Also, for those of you who are looking into buying a T40. If you are buying for a business and this is a first time purchase, you are able to get 20% off that purchase. That is 5% more than the EPP program i was able to get. Basically you'd get the T40p for 2679.2+tax of your state. That's pretty good. Make sure you ask about that discount if you're buying for a company.

Can you get 20% off of the discounted prices?

Resh

Oct 12, 1999
bharok,

Yeah, I know about the AT review and the one at Tom's. Problem is tha while Tom uses the Radeon and AT uses the FireGL, they don't use the same benches.

What we need is one bench (e.g., 3DMark or UT2003) and the two scores for the T40p (Little Louie) and the unit nicowju has.

Hope someone can help.

N

nicowju

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2001
I did post some 3dmark 2001 SE scores (around 5000), but I don't have UT2003 to bench it with. My T40 has the 32MB Radeon 9000

Resh

Oct 12, 1999
nicowju,

I know, but we dont' have 3D mark for the FireGL version. AT didn't run that bench in review. :(

Anandtech, please provide a 3D mark number for the T40p that is directly comparable to the supplied in Tom's review or nicowju's score.

Beggin' & pleadin'

N

nicowju

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2001
the 6-cell battery just arrived; wow this thing makes the laptop even more portable now :)
As for the fit of both of the batteries... neither one jiggles or moves around in the slot at all; they're really secure

Kangaroo802

Apr 24, 2003
Originally posted by: nicowju
the 6-cell battery just arrived; wow this thing makes the laptop even more portable now :)
As for the fit of both of the batteries... neither one jiggles or moves around in the slot at all; they're really secure

how much you get the 6-cell for? do you have a charger for both?