Impeachment coming

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I kind'a look at the Repub's feels as if it's a nuclear reactor that fuels their party's smoke n' mirror generator whose sole output are lies, whackjob conspiracy hoaxes and hate filled divisive rhetoric. Trump spun up that 'ol atom splitter into overdrive and melt that reactor down into the ground releasing an explosive shitload of isodopes that just recently contaminated our Capitol creating chaos, mayhem and a whole lot of arrests.
That's kinda close to a post by a blogger I read. He calls what you're describing the Pretty Hate Machine.

Here's his post from 2006, so it's slightly dated, but it's still as relevant and accurate.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I don’t want impeachment to hinder Joe Biden and getting his administration started. ... As far as Donald Trump goes, I’m over with him. .... So once Trump is gone, Joe Biden should be the focus. Getting his administration going should be the focus. Donald Trump has his own ghosts and skeletons to keep him occupied until the day he dies.... I would suggest that on January 21st we forget about Donald Trump and move full steam ahead with Joe Biden. Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer best devote their full efforts getting Joe’s nominees passed and in place, and forgetting about Donald Trump.
So, just another excusatory opinion of, "Just leave him ALo0oOoOoOo0o0Ne!!" Fuck off.
Unless he's absolutely certain he would otherwise be convicted and face severe penalties, Trump would be extremely ill advised to accept a pardon from biden.
What in the sam fuck are you blabbering about? That makes no fucking sense AT ALL.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If what they really want is "national unity," they can repudiate Trump's Big Lie that the election was stolen from him. Refusing to do that will continue to divide the nation and threaten democracy.
Its funny how any time a Republican is caught doing something wrong they whine about unity and forgiveness and "moving forward".
Buncha fuckin cowards and bullies.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
bwahahahahahhahahaha. as if Trump has any leverage to not accept a pardon from anyone. lolwtf. what kind of nth dimension clownfuckery does this notion come from? seriously.

The way I see it, accepting a pardon would be akin to a public admission of guilt. Trump has never been one to admit guilt for anything. Unless there is absolute certainty that he would be convicted AND face prison time, I can't see him accepting a pardon nor would I advise it if I were on his team.

Trump accepting a pardon would be a huge political win for biden. This would be seen as Trump admitting guilt and Biden being the good guy attempting to put the past behind for the sake of unity and healing. Does that sound remotely within character for Trump?

Trump will not be convicted of any involvement with what happened at the capitol. For what would he accept a pardon?

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The way I see it, accepting a pardon would be akin to a public admission of guilt. Trump has never been one to admit guilt for anything. Unless there is absolute certainty that he would be convicted AND face prison time, I can't see him accepting a pardon nor would I advise it if I were on his team.

Trump accepting a pardon would be a huge political win for biden. This would be seen as Trump admitting guilt and Biden being the good guy attempting to put the past behind for the sake of unity and healing. Does that sound remotely within character for Trump?

Trump will not be convicted of any involvement with what happened at the capitol. For what would he accept a pardon?
You make it sound as though Trump actually understands the legal details of pardons...hasn't he already pardoned people who haven't actually been charged or convicted of anything? I don't see why he would think any differently being the last week of his term.
Him accepting a pardon from Biden (which Biden already stated he would NOT do) doesn't mean anything as far as him "admitting to guilt". Guilt of what, exactly? The offenses that are being pardoned do NOT need to be spelled out in detail.
It remains a ridiculous and non-sensical notion. :rolleyes:

Reactions: hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I mean among other things he is explicitly named as an unindicted co-conspirator in multiple felonies that his former personal attorney is currently serving a sentence for.

So there's that.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I mean among other things he is explicitly named as an unindicted co-conspirator in multiple felonies that his former personal attorney is currently serving a sentence for.

So there's that.

I figure that the SDNY will file that indictment immediately after the inauguration. We'll probably wake up on the 20th to the news that Trump has fled the country. Pardon? After the insurrection? Biden wouldn't piss on Trump's head if his hair was on fire.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
You make it sound as though Trump actually understands the legal details of pardons...hasn't he already pardoned people who haven't actually been charged or convicted of anything? I don't see why he would think any differently being the last week of his term.
Him accepting a pardon from Biden (which Biden already stated he would NOT do) doesn't mean anything as far as him "admitting to guilt". Guilt of what, exactly? The offenses that are being pardoned do NOT need to be spelled out in detail.
It remains a ridiculous and non-sensical notion. :rolleyes:

Trump may not understand all of the details and optics but there are people around him who do. Him accepting a pardon, even a blanket pardon with no specific crimes detailed, absolutely does mean something as far as him "admitting to guilt". Not in the sense that he'd actually be admitting guilt but that it would be seen and reported that way. CNN - Why would anyone accept a pardon if they weren't guilty. Trump's ego is way too big for that.

You think Comey is suggesting a pardon to help Trump?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Trump may not understand all of the details and optics but there are people around him who do. Him accepting a pardon, even a blanket pardon with no specific crimes detailed, absolutely does mean something as far as him "admitting to guilt". Not in the sense that he'd actually be admitting guilt but that it would be seen and reported that way. CNN - Why would anyone accept a pardon if they weren't guilty. Trump's ego is way to big for that.

You think Comey is suggesting a pardon to help Trump?
Trump will almost certainly pardon himself and he will frame it as protecting himself from more Witch Hunts. He will have no problem saying he's not guilty of anything.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Trump will almost certainly pardon himself and he will frame it as protecting himself from more Witch Hunts. He will have no problem saying he's not guilty of anything.

This is something I would find to be much more likely but I still would be surprised.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
The problem with a pardon is that granting one in and of itself is meaningless. The pardon is only effective when charges are filed and the accused presents the pardon in court as a response. At that point the accused has officially admitted guilt and proferred the pardon to avoid further penalty.

Other than that, pardons only serve as a deterrent to filing charges ("Don't waste your time, I've already got this ready.")

But a blanket pardon can be dangerous. It doesn't offer the same deterrence to filing charges because it actually invites prosecutors to test how far you're willing to go to avoid penalty. Are you really willing to present your pardon to avoid those federal charges that have mirroring state charges? If you do then your admission of guilt will be used against you. If you don't then the pardon is worthless.

Reactions: tweaker2

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Not sure where I saw this but I don't think you can receive a pardon if you are under impeachment.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Not sure where I saw this but I don't think you can receive a pardon if you are under impeachment.

I think it's that an impeachment can't be wiped out by a pardon...nor can you be pardoned for the crimes that brought the impeachment.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Also saw mention that once impeached, you cannot issue further pardons? Not sure if true but makes sense...of course it would have to be full conviction by the senate, not just the house filing charges. He was already impeached once and he's still issuing pardons now.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Found this long thread about it. I seem to remember this guy from other topics and he seems alright.

IMO, that is too annoying and disjointed to read.

Twitter is terrible place to host a dissection of long speech, with it's tiny bit sized tidbits.

Find a transcript and do you own dissection (I did).

IMO there is little doubt that it's strong incitement speech that hammers the receptive audience, with stolen election that will destroy the country if they don't fight to stop it... It's easy to see how the believers would act on it. In fact it's hard to see how they wouldn't act.

But I still think it would fail to clear the bar for successful criminal prosecution. Trump is a career criminal/conman, and never comes right out and says: "Go beat down the police, storm the building, take hostages and make me President again".

He just tells them massive injustice has been done, that will destroy the country, if they don't act now. If you actually believe his lies, then it makes sense to act, to save the country from this injustice. His audience just believes all his lies at this point, so we got the predictable outcome.

Predictable in the sense that an angry mob would try to get to representatives and stop the confirmation. But you can't actually predict what the angry mob would destroy/achieve once unleashed.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
IMO, that is too annoying and disjointed to read.

Twitter is terrible place to host a dissection of long speech, with it's tiny bit sized tidbits.

Find a transcript and do you own dissection (I did).
Linkage?

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006

Not Claiming it's worth reading. I was just annoyed by the obtuse (willfull?), and wanted to make crystal clear how obviously he directed an angry mob:

But mostly I just suggest people read the transcript for themselves...

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Found this long thread about it. I seem to remember this guy from other topics and he seems alright.

The one comment about naming your WIFI. Where my brother lives in the Broadlands in Ashburn, Virginia, lots of government people apparently with senses of humor live there. Bring my tablet with me when visiting, and all his neighbors WIFI SIDs have names like that.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The one comment about naming your WIFI. Where my brother lives in the Broadlands in Ashburn, Virginia, lots of government people apparently with senses of humor live there. Bring my tablet with me when visiting, and all his neighbors WIFI SIDs have names like that.
Haha...after a report a few years ago out of NYC about the mobile 'Backscatter xray' Vans, I named my network, "FBI_Surveillance_Van_xxx". Never changed it back until my new router a few months ago. :p

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Mmm, destroy the party. That would be a good thing. Although they may start up a proud boys party.

“Look, I didn’t agree with the [Capitol] fight that happened last week, and I voted against overturning the election, but at the same time, the impeachment is a wrongheaded, partisan notion, [and] if Republicans go along with it, it’ll destroy the party,” Paul said during the interview.

“A third of the Republicans will leave the party,” Paul continued. “This isn’t about, anymore, the Electoral College, this is about the future of the party, and whether you’re going to ostracize and excommunicate President Trump from the party. Well, guess what,? Millions of his fans will leave as well.”

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Mmm, destroy the party. That would be a good thing. Although they may start up a proud boys party.

I agree it will damage the Party, but it will damage the country if they don't repudiate Trump and The Big Lie.

In a choice between damaging the party and damaging the country. It's pretty obvious the majority of Republicans are going to chose damaging the country (more than they already have).