I'm sick of Open-World games.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Wait, u dislike witcher 3? How could u possibly dislike that game??? It's epic on every level!

U don't have to play open world games in an open world style. U can just do the main storyline & be done with it. What's the problem in that?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Seems like every game is open world now. I'm sure they're great games but I just can't stand playing them. I don't know what is it about them that I just find horrendously boring and just can't commit the time to play it through. Every open world game i've try feels like a virtual walking simulator where you're wasting most of your time getting from place to another. In between the time wasted from A to B, you're getting sidetracked with stupid mini quests.

By the time I got through some stupid side quest, I'm like WTF am I supposed to do again (main objective wise)?

So far I've try playing:
Far Cry 4
Metal Gear Solid 5
Witcher 3
Firewatch

EVERY single freaking game is Open World now and I have 0 interest in them.

GTA 5
Far Cry Primal
The Division
Fall out 4
Skyrim

I don't mind playing games like Tomb Raider and I've sunk 100+ hours into Bloodborne and loves it so...it's not because i'm not patience or don't have the time to play.

Go try Eve out, you'll love it.

:sneaky:

UptheIrons

Aug 14, 2009
Me too. Hate hate hate hate hate open world games. Probably the only one's I've ever finished are Crysis and some of the Batman's ...if u consider those open world.

Noo

Oct 11, 2013
Wait, u dislike witcher 3? How could u possibly dislike that game??? It's epic on every level!

U don't have to play open world games in an open world style. U can just do the main storyline & be done with it. What's the problem in that?

I got bored of it after the stupid-ass mini card game and the quest to find the god damn frying pan. My theory about every stupid open world game confirmed so I quit, make a game that's beautiful to look at but it's just a fetch quest filled with countless hours wasted getting from point A to B.

Noo

Oct 11, 2013
Me too. Hate hate hate hate hate open world games. Probably the only one's I've ever finished are Crysis and some of the Batman's ...if u consider those open world.

I've beaten Crysis 1 -3 and it's definitely not open world, maps may be big but it's not open world. Far Cry 4 however...Ugh, I lost interest after 4 hours into the game and have no plan on getting FC4 primal.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Play Counterstrike or something, then. Murder chess. Jump in, get your jollies, pop out. The formula is simple and classic. The maps are enclosed capsules. Each battle is different but the rules are the same.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I'm not sure which generation of those games you're talking about, but a bunch of the games you listed are very linear. Ghost Recon? Splinter Cell? Hitman? Mass Effect? I don't consider the choice to kill someone with a knife vs a gun, or moving through a building upstairs vs downstairs to be all that large of an option. They're still small levels, with relatively concrete goals designed to usher you from one level of the game to the next.

I'm guessing your idea of what "on-rails" means is different than most mine and many others. I consider games like Half Life 1&2 to be on rails. You literally followed a singular path the entire game with 1 choice to proceed.

Games like Dragon Age: Origins, which I imagine is similar to Mass Effect, did have some order to them, and a story that pointed you towards a goal, but you had a lot of options between point A & B.

Even Crysis 1, you had the same goal, but you could approach it from many angles, from a wide open map, though you would occasionally get funneled to the same location. Most would consider Half Life 1 & 2 to be on rails, but not Crysis 1.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I will also argue that open world doesn't have to be played the way OP claims they are played. Just because they have tons of side quests that can side track you, doesn't mean you are required to do so. The idea of an open world is simply that you have a living world that the story takes place in, one that you can join in. I know that with Skyrim, for instance, you can simply jump in and stick to main quest and do nothing else, although I find it more enjoyable to pick a group to join (mage guild, thieves, etc.), and follow their quests to the end, then finish the game's primary story. I'll start a new character afterwards, rather than participating in the rest of that the meaningless quests. But it is important the primary quests are interesting enough for this to matter.

Last edited:

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I thought GTA 5 and Witcher 3 told pretty good stories and that was in open world. The Butcher questline of Witcher 3 was amazing.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
GTA V is a massive open world but 90% of the content takes place in only 10% of the map. The Witcher 3 is one of the best open world games I've ever played and I can't recall there being nothing but fetch quests. If anything, each side-quest felt unique and if anything, most of them were "go here and kill this monster you haven't encountered before" but you would still get rewarded with some great loot in the end.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
You don't have to do side quests. There are main story arcs in those open world games that you can focus on if you so desire. In Skyrim, nothing and nobody is forcing you to get lost in the open world only to end up forgetting what you were "supposed" to do, the exact same applies to all open world games. Obviously, if you don't explore them, you'll miss on a lot. If you think that the rest, beyond the main story quests, is a waste of time, then don't do it.

I'm just being honest, and maybe blunt, but it's the truth. Stop making it complicated for you, only to blame it on the open world nature of the game itself. If you want a straightforward game, it is there for you, follow the main missions, ignore the rest, complete the game, look at the credits, call it a night, uninstall, and voila, you finished the game. Simple huh?

This is /thread really.

To OP: In an open world game, it is entirely your choice. If you want it to be rail based, you can ignore everything else and just focus on the main quest. That is what I did in Skyrim and GTA V.
Open world games cater to both worlds, those who have the time and intent to play side quests and those who don't. It is really entirely upto you.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Of course some of the open world games do not have a good enough story, and rely on their open world nature to keep people playing, but some do have good stories to follow.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
I also dislike them, but my 'hatred' doesn't come from me not liking the genre, but more because it seems review sites are made of people who like them. Any new open world game automatically receives 100/10 scores even if they're really mediocre.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
So, you've listed a lot of AAA open world games.
What are examples of AAA "on rails" games ( release in the last year or two ?)

For the record, I prefer rails.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I don't mind open world games as a concept, but I hate how EVERYTHING has to be open world or is isn't a AAA game. Like Metal Gear Solid 5, it is by far my least favorite Metal Gear because of the open world. I ended up just killing everyone because it was easier and there was no consequence because I could always run away in the open world. Sneaking was useless outside of scoring, which means it wasn't a Metal Gear Solid game anymore. The rails kept me honest.

Same thing with RPGs, I hate how all RPGs HAVE TO be action RPGs because WOW. Turn based RPGs are completely different animals than action RPGs- most of the fun is preparing for big battles not actually fighting them. An action RPG is just an action game where the character can get better over time, there is no strategy to preparation.

Thank god Steam has a lot of indie games that scratch niches that major game developers don't want to touch anymore.

Noo

Oct 11, 2013
So, you've listed a lot of AAA open world games.
What are examples of AAA "on rails" games ( release in the last year or two ?)

For the record, I prefer rails.

You're asking me...Isn't that the point of the thread? D: The problem is the abundant of Open world games and every upcoming games are mimicking it.

I did mention Tomb Raider & Bloodborne...

Also "The Last of Us" is a masterpiece, however it offers no replay value.

Last edited:

Noo

Oct 11, 2013
I don't mind open world games as a concept, but I hate how EVERYTHING has to be open world or is isn't a AAA game. Like Metal Gear Solid 5, it is by far my least favorite Metal Gear because of the open world. I ended up just killing everyone because it was easier and there was no consequence because I could always run away in the open world. Sneaking was useless outside of scoring, which means it wasn't a Metal Gear Solid game anymore. The rails kept me honest.

Same thing with RPGs, I hate how all RPGs HAVE TO be action RPGs because WOW. Turn based RPGs are completely different animals than action RPGs- most of the fun is preparing for big battles not actually fighting them. An action RPG is just an action game where the character can get better over time, there is no strategy to preparation.

Thank god Steam has a lot of indie games that scratch niches that major game developers don't want to touch anymore.

That's exactly how i felt about Metal Gear 5, yet the game get a perfect score. And at the same time, the same guys who gave it a perfect score made a video ragging on the game (IGN) LOL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEknCMxJ6Fo

I was really stoked about Final Fantasy 15 & 7 until they start releasing in-game videos. Seriously, it's starting to look like an MMO with final fantasy title & hack-n-slash combat. They shouldn't even call it final fantasy 7 with how the game looks (gameplay wise).

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

There is a consequence in that the more kills you get in mgs5 the larger the horn on snake's head gets and the more bloody you look and you cannot fulton out any dead bodies for your crew.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
MGS V wasn't really open world. It was a stealth game in a huge world. And the option to go all guns blazing is there in every game these days. It is really your choice on how to play it. I had a wonderful experience with the game and don't understand the hate it is receiving here.

Last edited:

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
They shouldn't even call it final fantasy 7 with how the game looks (gameplay wise).

I am trying really hard to pretend that doesn't exist for that exact reason. I don't think it is the best one ever, but for some reason FF7 became THE jrpg game. And Square Enix is about to burn it down. Symbolically it means a lot, especially after that FF6 (which is the best jrpg) blur filer

I do hold out hope it will come out on PC so maybe someone could mod a turn-based engine back on top.