Rant I'm really angry....

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Someone needs to explain how we are so unprepared for a pandemic when we run drills for this stuff?

Shouldn't they have stockpiles of bio-suits, face masks, goggles, ventilators?

Moved from OT.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Well "we" dont run drills for this stuff.
Some people run drills, most of us do not. And the government is supposed to have multiple contingencies and run lots of drills but they don't.
It doesn't help our alleged commander in chief fired the pandemic response team years ago.

Reactions: dank69

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019
Can you stop? Can't you think of the economy? Why are you bashing Trump? Why are you un-patriotic?

Dec 10, 2005
There is a stockpile, but a certain very concerned senator helped strip millions of dollars that was supposed to be budgeted towards replenishing it after the H1N1 pandemic, leaving the stockpile fairly depleted

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Someone needs to explain how we are so unprepared for a pandemic when we run drills for this stuff?

Shouldn't they have stockpiles of bio-suits, face masks, goggles, ventilators?

Moved from OT.
admin allisolm

It's quite simple
Republican Administration and Republican Senate, with a couple of years of Republican congress as run by the GOP.
Mantra summarized here
"Private industry is best suited to do that sort of thing. Preferably the ones that my wife has significant holdings in. The Federal government only serves to hinder the ability for publicly traded companies to rapidly respond to the needs of the public."

Reactions: Muadib and dank69

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
We spent the past 30+ years with GOP talking points that attacked Academics, "Elites" and anyone else who used "college level words" and now you are surprised that when shit hits the fan, Government staffed with GOP loyalists fuck up stuff that required experts in the field.
You are surprised when politicians elected based on GOP values and talking points fuck up over and over again.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Some people run drills, most of us do not. And the government is supposed to have multiple contingencies and run lots of drills but they don't.
It doesn't help our alleged commander in chief fired the pandemic response team years ago.

That's actually not true. The U.S govt. ran just such pandemic exercises in 2018 and 2019, put on by the Rand Corporation. The 2019 exercise was named Crimson Contagion. You really should read up on stuff before pontificating about shit you know nothing about.

Now, not saying the exercises went well....they didn't. Here's an article from Bloomberg about the 2019 exercise:

Virus Pandemic Exercise Got One Thing Wrong: the U.S. Response

Last October, about 50 national security experts gathered in Washington to role-play a global response to a frightening scenario: a pandemic sparked by a mysterious new coronavirus ravages the world, hitting North Asia, Europe and the U.S. especially hard.

The exercise got a lot right about the pandemic now sweeping the globe. It concerned a virus that’s “highly transmissible via direct person-to-person contact,” overwhelms available resources and kills more than 3% of those infected, roughly equivalent to the current rate, with a workable vaccine trial many months away.

One thing it got badly wrong: Those involved -- a mix of professors, international-relations theorists, intelligence experts and others -- assumed the U.S. would lead the global response.

Even after almost three years living under President Donald Trump’s “America First” doctrine, few in the scenario predicted the U.S. would initially play down the threat, refuse for weeks to heed lessons learned by other nations struggling with the outbreak and treat institutions guiding the response -- like the World Health Organization -- with suspicion and scorn.

“What’s happening now is much worse in the sense that the U.S. response has been even more ineffective than we would have assumed,” said Sam Brannen, a senior fellow at the Center for Strategic and International Studies’ International Security Program, who helped lead the exercise. “The president undercutting his own officials and his messaging -- I’m stunned by the scale of it.”

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

The Trump admin actually ran an exercise called Crimson Contagion, based up prior work during the Obama administration when the Ebola outbreak occurred.

Trump and John Bolton eliminated the National Security Council directorate responsible for preparing for and responding to pandemics

Edit: damnit, ninja'd!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
That's actually not true. The U.S govt. ran just such pandemic exercises in 2018 and 2019, put on by the Rand Corporation. The 2019 exercise was named Crimson Contagion. You really should read up on stuff before pontificating about shit you know nothing about.

Now, not saying the exercises went well....they didn't. Here's an article from Bloomberg about the 2019 exercise:

Virus Pandemic Exercise Got One Thing Wrong: the U.S. Response

Last October, about 50 national security experts gathered in Washington to role-play a global response to a frightening scenario: a pandemic sparked by a mysterious new coronavirus ravages the world, hitting North Asia, Europe and the U.S. especially hard.

The exercise got a lot right about the pandemic now sweeping the globe. It concerned a virus that’s “highly transmissible via direct person-to-person contact,” overwhelms available resources and kills more than 3% of those infected, roughly equivalent to the current rate, with a workable vaccine trial many months away.

One thing it got badly wrong: Those involved -- a mix of professors, international-relations theorists, intelligence experts and others -- assumed the U.S. would lead the global response.

Even after almost three years living under President Donald Trump’s “America First” doctrine, few in the scenario predicted the U.S. would initially play down the threat, refuse for weeks to heed lessons learned by other nations struggling with the outbreak and treat institutions guiding the response -- like the World Health Organization -- with suspicion and scorn.

“What’s happening now is much worse in the sense that the U.S. response has been even more ineffective than we would have assumed,” said Sam Brannen, a senior fellow at the Center for Strategic and International Studies’ International Security Program, who helped lead the exercise. “The president undercutting his own officials and his messaging -- I’m stunned by the scale of it.”

I think the reason you speak to me like that is theres a small chance the mods might actually enforce the new rule about personal attacks.

You need vastly improved reading skills, which we both know you are never going to acquire.
I said the government is supposed to be running lots of drills.
They dont. They run very few.

And your post just proved that. But you go ahead and mouth off like Donald Trump. You should be working for his administration with your brains.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
We spent the past 30+ years with GOP talking points that attacked Academics, "Elites" and anyone else who used "college level words" and now you are surprised that when shit hits the fan, Government staffed with GOP loyalists fuck up stuff that required experts in the field.
You are surprised when politicians elected based on GOP values and talking points fuck up over and over again.
no, they didn't fuc-up, it's by design.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
no, they didn't fuc-up, it's by design.

GOP claims big government is bad and innefective.
Republicans take control of the executive
Republicans begin to cripple the Federal government through traditional fuckeruppery.
Everyone asks about fixing Government.
GOP counter big government is bad and ineffective and that yall need some Jesus and tax cuts

Reactions: hal2kilo

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
We are witnessing the onset of the GOP PANDEMIC OF 2020. It should go by it’s right name.
They should have one last Grand Old Party and hopefully die. Do you think there are going to be "conventional" conventions this year? Seems unlikely.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
They should have one last Grand Old Party and hopefully die. Do you think there are going to be "conventional" conventions this year? Seems unlikely.
There but for what the Grace of God, something real by any name, go I. I am fine with the party dying but not the people. Those people are the me that used to be. My failure is the failure to love them. I am the source of all the misery in the world, not them. God help me to forgive. To live is to die on the cross. And the stupidest part of it all is that we already have and won't remember.

m8d

Nov 5, 2012
I think the situation is self explanatory. The sad thing is America is too stupid to learn from this. After this pandemic is over it will be business as usual.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
I think the situation is self explanatory. The sad thing is America is too stupid to learn from this. After this pandemic is over it will be business as usual.

the problem isn't America, it's our current leadership. the previous administration had actually done a lot to prepare us for this pandemic before Trump and Co undid it and ignored the science and warnings.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
the problem isn't America, it's our current leadership. the previous administration had actually done a lot to prepare us for this pandemic before Trump and Co undid it and ignored the science and warnings.
When 63M people vote for Donald Jackass Trump, the problem is most definitely America.