I'm on a tech forum and can't believe that

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
i'm still rockin a PC from 2011. Intel Core i5 2500K Sandy Bridge. It runs every game I have just fine so i'm trying to find a reason to upgrade. Should I upgrade or keep this beast? Lol.

Yes, Im a network engineer, and my main office pc is a sandy bridge...your not missing much.
TBF, my wife commanders the office pc most of the time.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I just timed mine. 40 seconds from power on to windows loaded and ready to use and 20-25 seconds of that is just the system posting.

I hate my motherboard, it dicks around for a good couple minutes before it finally decides to POST. That kills my boot up time. Once it actually starts to post it's about 15 seconds.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Yes, Im a network engineer, and my main office pc is a sandy bridge...your not missing much.
TBF, my wife commanders the office pc most of the time.

Yup. Sandy Bridge, outside of the most professional of production folks (who need every last bit of processing power more often than not), is, for most people, plenty to this day. This is why I have said recent computers, even some of the Celerons and Pentiums based on i3 chips and whatnot, are going to be serviceable for the same segment of the population for which they are marketed in the first place, for a long time to come. Windows 10 is nice and efficient, as was 8.1, 8, and 7, and so long as the hardware keeps kicking, these systems will continue to serve their users for years to come. This cannot be said with a straight face for C2Q and C2D and earlier chipsets, that, while remarkable at the time, have not held up to the test of time.

Now, we have chips that can handle modern software with ease. Of course, if you need everything you can get for production-type software, then of course you need more, but running Outlook and Facebook is something even cheap eMachines can do these days with ease, whereas with old systems, they definitely showed their slowness once compared to more recent systems.

The only thing I have ever felt a pressing need to upgrade is the GPU as of late. We're getting close to the point that PCI-e 1.0 is no longer enough to drive modern games at high resolutions, so even though the CPU and RAM can handle things just fine, the chipsets and underlying system buses are now the weak link.

Not that that hasn't been true in the past, as of course advancements in bus speeds have been incredibly important; rather, when the time came when a particular bus, be it PCI or AGP or USB or SATA or whatever, came to be the weak link in a system, the CPU was equally responsible for the performance slowdown. Now, if we could only upgrade the platform and keep the CPU, it wouldn't be an issue. Of course with on-chip platform elements that were once on the motherboard, this is of course not possible but an entertaining prospect.

AmdEmAll

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2000
i'm still rockin a PC from 2011. Intel Core i5 2500K Sandy Bridge. It runs every game I have just fine so i'm trying to find a reason to upgrade. Should I upgrade or keep this beast? Lol.

I also still have the same cpu.. its been overclocked to 4ghz on water for years without issue.

A new pc would be nice but more important things I need to spend $$ on.

Feb 25, 2011
AT forums is a cash cow - slap it together, get some people to donate time to mod it, and watch the money come in while never updating software until the eventual heat death of the universe.

Really? How do the forums make money without ads?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've been thinking about replacing my PSU (Corsair AX860) because I believe it's the source of my random, very sporadic complete freezes. I've literally replaced every single component in this PC at least once except the PSU, so it's not exactly unfounded. :p Anyway, I sat there at Newegg/Amazon looking at Skylake parts, and I thought, "Do I really need this?" I ended up just buying a new PSU and case. I don't really need this Corsair 900D anymore since I don't water cool anymore.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
I'm guilty of liking new stuff.

Went from a 950 to a 2600k to a 3770k to a 4770k to a 4790k.
I'd have a 6700k but prices in canda are terrible...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Why block the ads here?
It's not like this is some kind of scummy website.

Anandtech did once have malware in one of its ads years ago. It wasn't Anandtech's fault directly as their ads come from an ad rotation company, but it also means that they don't have much control over what gets served. Other various high-profile sites have fallen prey to the same problem, so I just keep them all blocked. In most cases, I actually don't mind the ads on sites like this. Heck, I've even clicked on a few!

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
i feel really good now about my lowly sandy bridge now. oh I still have the same gigabyte motherboard with the faulty sata ports. lol

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I hear, but it ain't gonna happen. 4k is the next step.

Still running two 1200 line monitors here. They can have those 120 lines when they pry them from my cold, dead... something.

I got a 24" 4K LCD not too long ago at work. Without OS-based resolution independence, it's useless. Gave me a headache from eyestrain trying to read it; I had to donate it to another user & drop down to a 2.5K LCD. I'd say you need at least 27" for 4K, but really I think 30" would be the absolute minimum I'd go. I'm really curious to see what a 4K 15" laptop looks like...

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm still on a system with a Core i7-3770 and a Radeon 6870. I could probably use a better video card soon, but the rest of the rig is up to date.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
no major reason to upgrade the CPU, but, if you game, possible that the GPU might need to be replaced. Modern games don't really need any more "power", but they do tend to have enormous textures so even if you have a reasonably "powerful" card like a 6870, you may find many games not running so well due to not having enough memory to hold the textures ...

Also, you may be due for a memory upgrade, or, possible you may want to add an SSD and reinstall the OS

Otherwise, yea, since AMD has stopped successfully being competitive intel has instead switched to try to compete vs ARM, thus, they are going for power reduction first and performance gains second.