I'm not getting HD audio anymore - nVidia drivers

Khartago

Dec 7, 2016
Hi all,

I have an Asus laptop that I have been using as a HTPC for more than 3 years now, the GPU is a GeForce GT 635M (2GB).

And it was all fine until one day all of a sudden I played a DTS-HD MA movie and it had no sound coming (which I had no problem playing before), I use Kodi, so I went to check the settings and it was all good for bitstream in WASAPI, then I play some movies with only DTS and DD and it did came sound, so then I went to playback devices to check everything and then I noticed that in supported formats neither DTS-HD MA nor Dolby TrueHD appeared any longer.

I don't know what to think of this, the laptop came with Windows 8, then I upgraded to 8.1, then Windows 10 and all was fine after every update, so I don't think it's the OS.

I have been troubleshooting, I uninstalled the drivers several times, I went back down to the 355.60 driver and nothing seems to happen. My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-524-K, I tried changing the HDMI cable, I tried switching inputs, I even checked the Blu-Ray player directly to see if it was the receiver, but it played a DTS-HD MA movie just fine (with the logo and everything).

It's driving me nuts, some help would be appreciated.

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
I have run into the same problem ever since Win 10. I have even put in a separate sound card but still pretty much the same problem.
Hopefully, someone will chime in.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
are you getting DTS written on the AVR screen when playing DTS files as usual?

Khartago

Dec 7, 2016
I have run into the same problem ever since Win 10. I have even put in a separate sound card but still pretty much the same problem.
Hopefully, someone will chime in.

Hi Alamat, I managed to discover the solution, I'll share it in case it helps anyone else having this problem.

What I think caused the issue in the first place was me updating the drivers after I added a SSD to my PC, I cloned the disk to the SSD and even so everything worked, I decided to update some drivers and programs, including the Nvida Drivers.

I did the usual installation, no custom installation as I should have, so after various tryings uninstalling and installing the drivers even I eventually noticed that in the custom installation I wasn't getting installed the HD Audio driver.

Later I did some more research and I found out that the HD Audio driver would only appear if you have the Receiver connected to the computer in that exact moment (I don't understand why), and so I did it, and indeed it appeared, and once I installed it everything worked wonderfully again.

Note that I had the image only displaying on the TV.

Last edited:

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
And that's why I love my HDMI Detective. The PC thinks the AVR is connected always. I have the AVR turn off automatically when I turn off my TV and it all works perfectly when it comes back on.